Feeling really sick after exercise! So frustrated!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Aug 19, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I've been feeling a lot better lately but one thing always sets me off. Exercise! Today I went to the YMCA, swam about 4 laps and felt horrible.

Dizzy, extremely tired, muscles like jelly, nauseous, shaky. What is this? No one can explain it to me and I feel like I'm crazy. I don't suffer from pain; I don't have fibro just CFS. I hate it! I want to be in better shape and lose weight but it just feels like it's not worth it.

Does anyone else get it? I told my dr. about it and she said I'm probably not getting enough protein before I exercise. So I did that and it still isn't helping.

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

others will chime in with help for you, I know. Sounds like the CFS post exercies malaise that others speak of. I only have FM, praise the Lord, so I don't know about that, but I do know that the FM caused me to have to quit aerobics.

One hour of aerobics would make me so sore and stiff I could barely move for days. And it was not because I was out of shape either. When this started, I had been doing this 2 days a week for 3 years and all of a sudden *BAM* it was over.

I try to do some walking and muscle exercises now, but I have to be careful not to overdo.

Sonya
  3. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

I am getting the same.
    I have cfs and this symptoms have been the first, where i realised something is wrong. now i cant even do housework without feeling pain after and getting low grade fever.
    I did a lot of sports and gave all of it up, because the pain and collapses after are unbearable.
    do not now any solution, sometimes magnesium helps to take a bit of the pain, not the exhaustion though.
    it is terrible !!!!!!!
    found that wheat and fats are making it much worse.
    sorry for not beeing of much help, just wanted to let you know, that you are not alone.
    check out the suggested diet from an other add today, who got better by keeping a strict diet. I believe his name was somehow mathiew or something like that.
    karinxx

4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    People with fibro can do some exercising, where people with CFS can't, or I should say, in a very limited fashion. There are lots of good articles on why people with CFS have great difficulty exercising, here on the site and through a web search.

I use to walk 3 miles a day before I got sick. I miss that sooooooo much. If you like to be in the water, you might want to think about not swimming, and maybe just walking around in the pool. Or maybe get one of those water jogger belts, and just kinda lightly move around the pool.

One of the ways to help fight the lactic acid build up is to take a good dose of vit C before and after exercise. that helps decrease lactic acid build up. Unfortunetly we have limitations that we have to live with.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Meow, my symptoms exactly except when this happens it scares me and I have an anxiety on top of the other symptoms..

My doc doesn't seem to understand she thinks fibro and cfs are the same, but I can not do any activity for any length of time.. Today I went out to do some much needed errands, nothing strenous my any means and in a hour I was wiped out..So to home I go for rest..

I have tried working in my flower beds and get the same feelings you described..I don't know what would happen to me if I tried to swim laps..One lap would do me in..My doc want me to try the seniour citizens water arthritis program, not sure I can do that..I feel I am so deconditioned that if I had to run for my life I would just have to die...Just a short trip to walmart does me in...

I am sure it is the cfs for some reason we can not be activity..Have you read the articles on cfs and the heart? I think it is scary..

Just don't over do but for me that is doing a little of nothing and I don't like it but what do we do...My house is suffering as I can try to keep things picked up but the heavy cleaning doesn't get done...

Keep us posted on how you are doing..

God Bless
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

like the sound of what your doctor said, it shows she hasn't got a clue what CFS is. You could eat a cow before exercising and still not feel well after.

There has been some research that state people with CFS should NOT exercise at all until they have found out whether they have that virus.. I can't remember, help me people!! lol.

But the virus affects your heart and if you do too much exercising it could cause heart failure.
    Now don't panic, it's just what I read in a few articles on here, I believe, you may not have the virus.

Blast, I can't remember the name of it, stinking fibro fog.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I have CFS and CANNOT exercise for the reasons you gave

One thing that you might want to check is your blood sugar level - It may be dropping to low

What you described also happens to me when I get hypoglycemic

8. nina2

nina2 New Member

I have the same problem. Just totally exhausted achy and
    in pain always after trying to exercise.

I found that walking as tolerated is the only method that works for me. Some days it's 20 mins. Other days it's 10 or 15.

Some times I ache for days after. I hate it too!

Just have to deal with it and move at a pace that works for you at the time.

~nina~
  9. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

That's how people with CFS feel when they exercise--post exertional malaise. And, recent research says that people with CFS really shouldn't exercise because Dr. Cheney and Dr. Lerner have both found (not working together) that many PWCs have cardiomyopathy and that exercise for PWCs might further damage the heart, and could lead to permanent or severe damage.

People with fibro are supposed to exercise to help themselves feel better (according to doctors), but people with CFS are not supposed to exercise because it could make things worse. Not only does it possibly injure your heart, but it also makes the CFS worse---causing setbacks.

You need to probably scale back your exercise a lot until you don't have this effect; if you get this effect, it is too much for your body.

If you do some searches about exercising and CFS/CFIDS, you will probably find posts about this, and there has been articles written about it.

Take care and be careful,
    Nicole
  10. bren22

bren22 New Member

I followed the advice of a physiotherapist and started a 3 minute walking regimen. She wanted me to do this every day. I thought - how bad could it be? I did this 3-4 days of one week and it resulted in an increase in my insomnia for 2 months. My fatigue levels skyrocketted. The thing with CFS versus FM is that although exercise appears to help with FM, it can be very detrimental to CFS. My doctor says not to do anything that results in post-activity fatigue. I find that trying to do the activities of daily living (and in that it is only the bathing/microwaving of food) is enough of a taxing exercise that I am unable to exercise. My advice is to only do as much exercise as your body allows without post-activity problems. That may mean only 30 secs per day of walking and then working up from there. As for the diet, a high protein diet may help you long term both with fatigue levels and with weight loss. I am currently doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and have seen an improvement in my IBS symptoms. This diet requires no starch, no lactose and no sugar (except honey). I am very good at the no starch but have given myself leeway on the no lactose/no sugar. Might be worth a try

Bren
  11. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

This is important, I hope you see it.
    Nicole
  12. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

bumpt again. hope you see it
  13. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Great posts--very good information.

Thank you for sharing.
    Nicole

P.S. weight training does horrible thigns to me, too. At first, it was worse than the aerobic, but now it is pretty much the same.
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

I loved to exercise.......in my life before CFS. I had decided to take an aerobics class after about a three month break. I had to go home and go to bed. I had diarrhea, nausea, weak muscles, and headache.
    I tried several times after that.......same thing. So I went to the doctor....I should say that I started going to the doctor and have been going the rest of my life. My psychiatrist said I should exercise and I just said OK. It isn't worth getting into a discussion - the doctors think they are right. I just don't have time to feel bad.
  15. DIZ

DIZ New Member

HAVE REALLY TRIED TO GET MIND OVER MATTER AND STARTED A WALKING ROUTINE , IN WHICH I STARTED GRADUALLY AND BUILT UP TO BETWEEN 2-3 MILES A DAY AND TRIED TO IGNORE THE PAIN, BUT NOW IT CAUGHT ME COMPLETELY OFF GUARD WITH A MAJOR FLARE---NOT ONLY WITH MY FIBRO, BUT THE OSTEOARTHRITIS........................WAS CONVINCED IT WAS HELPING IN THE BEGINNING.............NOT
  16. Catseye

Catseye Member

I got an email from a remedyfind guy once who had the same kind of trouble exercising and he took arachidonic acid for it. He said he couldn't exercise without it. I don't remember anything about it other than it's a fatty acid and it's available on body building websites. I ordered some but I'm not exercising yet. I'll try it when I can exercise. Might be worth looking into.

happy xmas!

karen