Feeling so bloated it hurts!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rebecca5735, Apr 6, 2003.

1. rebecca5735

rebecca5735 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have been recently diagnosed with CFS, after 4yrs as a medical mystery! I just don't know quite how to handle it, or what to do. How can I help others around me understand?

I have seen the effects of ME/CFS in my adoptive mother (who has had ME for 10yrs) and I just don't understand it.

More recently I have been suffering from severe bloating. So much so, that it's uncomfortable and painful and stops me from sleeping through at night. Plus I just can't find clothes that are comfortable and yet suitable for my office job that requires smart dress code.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks guys

Becci
  2. rebecca5735

rebecca5735 New Member

Thanks for your advise, and NO! I don't think you're mad.

However, I do have another query related to the bloating...I've used 'Setlers' before (like an indegestion tablet) and it seemed to settle my stomach, but why am I so bloated? I look like I'm pregnant and can't wear anything that's comfortable for work!!!

I have CFS...could the bloating be related? My adoptive mum thinks there is a link, but i'm so unsure about all this, I just don't know what to do to help.

I have very little salt in my diet already, and I can't tolerate peanuts. I just don't know what to do for the best, or what will help.

Sorry to be such a winge!

Becci
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

I suffered for years befor finding out I cannot eat wheat or dairy without becoming a methane factory. I tried every excess gas and digestive on the market and none did any good. I would go to the bathroom and come out and start passing gas. For me it was finding out what was causing the gas that was the ticket to becoming socially acceptable company and losing the 4inches of gas around my waist line. I went on what was called an elimination diet for 3 weeks and then slowly started adding back foods till I found the bad guys.
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have a question for you, are you on your feet alot, like at work? When do you have the most Bloating? I have this, so I know what you are going through. I have IBS, and also GERD,but I don't think that the Bloating is just a symotim of thoes.
    I get Gas/Bloating when I stand in one place for more than an hour, at the most.
    If I chew Gum, or when I sing, because I swallow Air, when I'm doing these 2 thing's. So I don chew gum, probably because I can't Now, had my Teeth removed and they Still can't make me Comfortable Denture's, I'm blessed with CMP also. I have Trigger Points in my Stomach/Abdomen, which can also cause me Serve Pain and gas.

I have Priloce for GERD, but it dosen't help with the gas, and I can't take the Antiacids, I throw them up. sorry ugh!

So when I get that Horrible gas and pain, I do something similar to what someone else posted.
    I take a pillow, and squish it up, lay on my Left side, tuck the Pillow close to my Tummy, roll over just a little so that the Butt is in the air, but not putting any stress on my other body part's, and just Let er Ripp,.

If this is a problem all the time, you really should talk to your Doctor, I found that not all of my problems were just IBS, so you need to rule out anything else that could be causing this Distress. Diet is one, like Melon's, Watermelons, Grapes, Heck most Fruit, kills me. So I avoid them. Easrier in the long run.

Sincerely
    kredca4
  5. gardengrow

gardengrow New Member

I used to get the bloating very badly also. I have CFS and have Irritable Bowel syndrome too. I figured out that most of my bloating was due to dairy products. I became very sensitive to them and couldnt digest them. I was so much better when I gave them up. I just drink the enriched rice milk now that has all the calcium in it like reg. milk. If you suspect dairy-try giving it up for a week or two and see if you notice a difference. If you feel better but cant bear to live without some dairy products you can take Lactaid tablets that provide the enzyme to digest them.There are some other foods I cant eat either and maybe you can discover what those are for you. I have to stay away from greasy foods and some vegtables and spices. Whatever you do, dont ignore the bloating -it will get worse and worse. I didnt realise I had food allergies and my stomach problems got way out of hand and I got really sick and lost more weight. Hope you get some relief!

Gardengrow
  6. rebecca5735

rebecca5735 New Member

Thanks guys...

I'm not quite sure what it is, but it certainly sounds like it could be IBS. However, I do not find that I need to pass wind or have trouble with trapped wind...could it be water retention?

Last night I woke at 4am needing the loo...got up and went, but within 5mins I needed to wee again, and again, and again. I finally went downstairs and drank loads of water to try and flush the system. Still little effect.
    Come 6am I got up and had a bath. Dosed off too, but felt better once I'd soaked for a while.

I'm at work all day, and sitting at a desk is not comfortable. I'm wearing clothes that are boarderline smart/casual for the office, but it's all I've got that's comfortable...

What can I do? What could it be?

Becci