Feeling so much better on Armour (TSH was 4.75)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Oct 3, 2010.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that my cfs symptoms are so much better since starting on Armour thyroid. The dr. said I was "borderline" hypothyroid with that reading, but I've since read a lot of articles stating that over 3 should be treated. I had gone on synthroid (generic) a few years ago, and it had made me very agitated.

I was soooo tired when I started 3 weeks ago, and am now feeling tons better. Please do your research and check with your dr. if this sounds like you. It's almost criminal that I've felt so exhausted for years and this might be it!
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes your TSH was high. Did you get tested for T3, T4 and antibodies? I think these are the extra tests you neeed, as the TSH is really just a screening.

I had a false positive about seven years ago on a TSH test. It said I was hypo but with the more extensive tests, it turned out my thyroid was fine and did not need to up my dose of synthroid. I am tested frequently as thyroid problems run in my family. Since starting on the synthroid, I have had the dosage only upped once. A lot of people become hypothyroid after 50.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2010]
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

can My regular cfids dr write me a script for thyroid?? or does it have to be an endo??

even tho my blood work showes ok but borderline, i have a lot of Hypo symptoms. can't loose a lb, lump in throat feeling, heart that jumps all over, cold all the time, night sweats,i was loosing hair, but thankfully it's growin back.

i dont know if i have the energy to see an endo who will just look at my bloodwork and send me home......this is exhausting :(

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thats the one good thing about my doc, she will usually let me try different things. and im so close to 50 i could spit on it,lol.well 4 years away, but they say we age faster and i really believe that.

i see doc again In November, i think i'll try and give the armour a shot.

5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I finally convinced my Dr. to try me on Armour last year. Unfortunately, my TSH always comes back "normal". But I don't feel that way. I'm taking 60 mg and really feel I need to be at 90 mg. But if I increase it on my own and my TSH test results come back "abnormal", she's going to decrease my dose.

I sure wish doctors would treat us and not our test results!
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

"Thyroid is really complicated."

Good point.

This got me to thinking which I try to do at least once a month, LOL!!

How does a doctor know how much improvement is from increased thyroid meds. and how much is placebo? I would think it would be a clinical judgement, and someone correct me it that is inaccurate.

This is why my choice, if I were not seeing improvement, would be an endocrinologist who has years of specialized training and clinical experience.

I know it was years ago that you saw a doctor for thyroid but most doctors today do know the new ranges as they have been out since 2002.

I know you have made a different choice and so be it as am not debating that but think this is food for thought.

Take care.

ETA My hypothyroid was discovered during a routine TSH test. I had no symptoms nor noticed a difference after taking it. So it was caught early and probably preventing me getting to the point where I did have symptoms.

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2010]