Feeling very good today...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinlou, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

but, I know I need to knock on wood!!!Been going to Pain Managment for about 4 months for Cervical, Lumbar DDD, and FMS. I have had lumbar, cervical injections, nerve blocks. My Rheum. put me on trazadone at night, it helped a little with sleep,and flexril during the day.

Anyway, pain doctor added elavil to this. (10mgs)I was afraid to take it for about a month. I started it a month ago, it seemed to help a little with pain and morning stiffness. He upped it to 25mgs,and I am just amazed I sleep so well, and I almost feel human again!

He also started trigger injections, two weeks ago, I had the 2nd ones on Thursday. I felt very sore yesterday, but today I feel pretty darn good!

I can only hope that this can last....but as we know this DD can come back at any moment with a vengance!

I still ache all over, but it is such a RELIEF to feel at least better, and to have blessed sleep, feels like Heaven.
    Thanks for letting me share.
    ((((HUGS)))))
    Cindy
  2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

So glad you are feeling better today.

I have had some good days lately, but my stomach has really been giving me problems. It's like, it's too far down to come up & too far up to come down. I finally got a little relief from that yesterday.

I have been going to a pain clinic about a year now. I started out with having a lot of pain in my neck & shoulders. They said it was due to bulging discs & bone spurs & formnal narrowing (whatever that is) So they gave me the steriod injections in the neck. Then, I was diagnosed later with this FM

So what are trigger point injections? Are they the same as the steriod injections I had?

I have tried so many of those meds to help me sleep at night & I am now only on Xanax, which seems to work fine for me. All the others ones I took, helped me sleep really well, but then I could not wake up the next day. I needed something I could take so I could get good sleep & function the next day. I did sleep rater late today, though. Didn't get up until noon! I knew I could sleep as long as I wanted & I really took advantage of it. Don't get to do that very often.

Marilyn
  3. andnat

andnat New Member

its always so good to hear when someone is having a good day. Enjoy it but dont over do. I really hope this is the first of many good days for you. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless
    andnat
  4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Marilynb

Thank you for your reply...

Trigger point injections are injections into the muscles. If you have ever had deep tissue massage it is the knots that are very painful to pressure. You can have them just about everywhere. They are different then the tender points for FM.

They can use a dry needle or a numbing agent like lidocain, with a small amount of a steroid. Some inject botox. I think it all depends on what the doctor feels he has had good luck with.

I know that it is scarey about steroids, but everything you do has its downfall, pain meds, etc..

I have just about tried everything, chiro, tens, Physical Therepy, cranial sacral release, deep tissue massage, all seem to help but not lasting. I can not take narcotics, allergic to them.

A very good book on Trigger Point massage is by Clair Davies, it is a self-treatment for pain managment.It is called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.

I wish you well on your journey to feeling better.
    ((((HUGS)))))
    Cindy
  5. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

andnat for your kind reply, very much appreciated...
    ((((HUGS))))
    Cindy
  6. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I know all too well about the deep tissue massage for the knotted muscles. I use to go to a massage therapist 2 times a month & she would try to work out those knots in my neck & shoulders & upper back. It was just too much for me to handle. I would have to tell her to stop, because I just couldn't handle the pain. Sometimes it would work for a short time, like a day or 2.

So how does the self treatment work. I guess I need to check into the book you mentioned. Since I am alone most of the time, self treatment is just what I need ;)

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  7. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I find the book to be helpful in that you can control the pressure and can stop if it is unbearable. There are certain tools you can use like tennis balls for the hard to reach places,and a type of cane. It is well worth the try, and the book is cheap compared to most therapy.

I really do like my massage therapist, but he is very expensive. I am planning to still use him for deep tissue. He also does lympthatic massage which is so neat and very relaxing. We usually do the deep tissue first (boy that can make you tense) then he will do the lympth work last. I feel like a wet noodle when he is finished.

It is so silly that insurance won't pay for the massage, but they will pay for injections that cost thousands of dollars.

I think that the trigger point injections do hurt, but only for a second. It seems to do what the massage does, but quicker. We shall see how it lasts. I have an appointment on the 27th for another round. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just hope I won't be sorry because of the steroids. Time will tell.
    (((HUGS)))
    Cindy