Feeling weak after Epson Salt bath

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dahopper, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am not feeling so well today, had a long tiring day going to Dallas yesterday (3 hours) one way. I am hurting all over from herxing so took a epson salt bath with HP in it. I felt faint before I got out then when I did thought I was going to pass smooth out. My heart was pounding in my head. Took my BP and it was 120/59 the high part is really high for me. My P was 102. I do not know what normal range is. Is this a safe range?
    Hugs, Debbie
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

That would be a long way to drive while herxing on AV's, I think. No wonder you're tired.

Considering that you're weak in general, the hot bath may have been too much for you. (I don't know about the Epsom salts.) Some people say that people with CFS should never take hot baths or showers. My own experience is that I feel fine when I do so (I also have a "steam room" shower in my house), but only if I follow it immediately with a cool rinse. I have no idea of the theory behind this.

Those blood pressure and pulse rates are safe. What kind of blood pressure do you usually have, though? If it's usually low (i.e. below 110/60), you may want to treat it since otherwise it may be making you feel slightly faint and thus more tired. (CFS patients tend to have weak adrenals and thus do not make enough aldosterone. This causes their blood pressure to be low.)

Ways to treat would be a) the drug Florinef (acts similarly to aldosterone), b) large quantities of salt (a teaspoon or two per day in addition to what's in a normal diet), or c) licorice root (_not_ deglyzzerinized....can't remember the spelling, but that's close).

Florinef seems to work only on some patients, but it's been great for me.

Salt is generally somewhat helpful. (I have never heard that salt is harmful unless one is inclined towards high blood pressure.....which is the reason to use it here.) I use a lot of salt on food but didn't find just "taking" it (without the Florinef) to be sufficient.

Personally, I never had any effect with licorice root. However, I think there is a type called "whole licorice root" that might work better. I do not know where to buy such a thing, except to do an Internet search.

I think it is good that you are continuing with the AV despite the difficulty, since I think it's starting to have a positive effect on me. How long have you been on it?

Have a good Thanksgiving!
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

There's an article here on the home page where a doctor claims that hot baths crank up the immune system and create too many cytokines. He recommends keeping water at 85. If you get out feeling weak, your water was too hot.

No idea if he's right.
  4. cycling

cycling New Member

Dahopper, I can't take hot baths or the hot tub. Haven't for years. I would always feel faint and limp afterwards. This started happening long before I knew anything about fibro. The next day I still would have trouble. No one at the time understood and never did I.

Cycling
  5. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Thank You for your reply. I have always had a very low blood pressure so the 120 was very high for me. Also my pulse was very high for me. I feel better now it just scared me.

My blood pressure has rasied some since I have been going to FFC, I guess from some of the medications and IV's. But still even then I have a low BP.

We built our new home a little over two years ago and the first thing I made sure was in our home was a wet/dry sauna and then a steam shower that is connected to the sauna. So it can be used wet or dry and I love it. My husband has asked me not to use it while he is gone in fear of exactly what happened in the hot bath. He is affraid I will pass out and die I guess. LOL But that is sweet of him.

But yesterday I was told by other patients of the clinic I need to sweat as much as possible so that is what I was doing along with trying to ease some of this dang pain. It just is not much fun. I NEVER sweat and normally not even in my sauna even tho it is extremely hot.

I have often wondered if I put the wrong kind of sauna in my new home. I have heard in the last few years that Infa Red is really better with all these kind of problems. What do you think?

You sound so intellegent about everything you talk about and my spelling and fog makes me feel like not even trying to post much. It is just so depressing to feel this stupid with pain and fatigue. Plus it is even hard for me to understand what all is even wrong with me so therefore I am just trusting in my doctor and the program he has me on and not sure or the reason for anything. LOL

I have been on AV now for two months. Not sure how long I will be on them. I will not give up though.

Thank You for your help. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
    Love Debbie

6. dahopper

dahopper New Member

for your reply. Maybe it is due to Low BP. I know after I set in my sauna I always feel faint too but today seemed worse. Maybe because I just had a IV yesterday.

I do feel better now. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Hugs, Love Debbie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To feel weak and sleepy with the ES and HP soaks. If they make one feel too weak or sick, they should not be done. They should only be done when one can rest or sleep afterward, never when one has to be active.

I skip the HP now and only do the ES which always relax me and soothe any sore muscles from overdoing it.

Love, Mikie
  8. dahopper

dahopper New Member

For your reply. I was trying to calm the soreness down in my body and would not hurt me to sleep most of the day too. I will just do the ES from now on. What is the HP for?
    Happy Thanksgiving, Love Debbie
  9. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

What is herxing, I'm lost!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is supposed to drive oxygen through the skin's pores. Pathogens cannot live in high-oxygen environments. That's why one puts it on wounds. It kills the bugs with the oxygen. Kind of like the hyperbaric chamber does under pressure. That is why it is used to heal diabetics' wounds which wouldn't heal without it. Of course, the chamber is far superior to the HP soaks but this is just one example of simple things we can try at home.

Herxing is the body's purging of dead pathogens which release toxins into the body. This happens when there is such a large dieoff that the body cannot excrete them right away. If the HP were to work well enough to cause the death of a lot of pathogens, it is possible that it could make one feel lousy.

I used to think that only strong meds or herbals would do this but I now think that it can happen to people depending on how infected they are and how their bodies respond to things which could bring about a large dieoff. We are all differnt and react differently to these things.

I think it's a lot of trial and error and the best advice I can think of is to go slowly with any new treatment and do only one thing at a time until you know how you will respond.

Love, Mikie
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Mikie and Debbie,

I don't want to be repetitive or annoying, but it's my opinion and experience that low blood pressure is a key factor that keeps CFS patients from feeling better.

I'm surprised that the FFC's don't seem to be focusing on it, especially considering how easy it is to fix.

My doctor has periodically said that my goal should be 110/70, and that less than 100/60 is unacceptable. I agree.

Florinef supposedly causes some bone loss, but the tradeoff between that and feeling better with regard to CFS seems to be worth at least considering.

I recently had a bone scan and found that (despite a history of osteoporosis in my family) my bones are better-than-average for my age, even though I've been taking Florinef for about eight years. (Natural progesterone--which I've been taking for about the same amount of time---supposedly builds bones, and so that could be responsible.)

This seems something to investigate, anyway. Florinef seems a well-tested and pretty harmless drug compared to the AV's. I'd think if you were risk-tolerant enough to use AV's, trying Florinef would seem to be worthwhile too.