feeling worse over years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gbean, Jun 14, 2003.

1. gbean

gbean New Member

In the beginning when I first got fibromyalgia-I trudged through three more years of work until I couldn't work anymore due to the pain and fatigue. As some more years went by I was getting sicker but could still push myself to get out every week or two for social events. For the last three years of my life (I've had fibro for thirteen years) I have basically been a hermit. I only leave the house once a month or two months and can do absolutely nothing around the house. I go from the bed to the couch. I am one of the unfortunate ones who is getting worse and worse with the DD and my current doctor believes it is progressive also.
    Gena
  2. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are in such bad shape. I am 25 years old and have had FMS for a little under a year now, I was JUST diagnosed. I think about the progression alot. I am scared about it. If I get to thinking about it too much, it can be a dangerous thing. I am bedridden about 75% of the time, and can rarely do anything physical.

My mother has had this for about 7 years now, and is completely bedridden. I watch her everyday and worry that I will end up like that too.

Just out of curiosity, what types of meds or supplements or treatments have you tried? Nothing works for you?

My heart goes out to you. You will be in my prayers. Try to stay strong and remember that you are not alone!!

Lots of Love,
    Kathryn
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You haven't mentioned what treatments you have been using. Like you, I finally got to the point where I could no longer work. I have been fortunate in finding several treatments which have actually helped me to feel better.

In my time here, I have seen people who have stayed the same for years, people who have deteriorated, and people who have achieved some level of healing. Again, these illnesses seem to affect us all differently.

Love, Mikie
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

but, hope springs eternal.

We must continue to try to nourish our bodies the best we can and hope that a cure is found soon.

I am gathering that meditation is an important aspect that I am not currently applying -- it's hard to focus with our cog dysfn, eh?

I'm sorry you are so debilitated.

I hope you find a way to improve your functioning. Perhaps your doctor, who sees you deteriorating will be motivated to do some advocacy work regarding FM.

The more info and understanding out there, the better for us and the more likely money will be spent on more research, IMO.

Keep posting and let us know how you are!

jen F
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

We are also getting more symtoms and other conditions dxed as we age. But, we still have a sence of humor. It has become so normal to have several apts a month to see this doc or have that test. We have started to fax all our test results to each of our docs so they know what else is going on. Amasing how many things over lap on parts. Like Gary's testosterone level extreemly low and his sleep apnea is back. I gave the test level results to the ENT and he said Oh, his apnea may only need HRT to fix it.

Take care, Kim and Gary
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had FM for 11 yrs or more,the first 3-4 years wern't that bad as far as the pain&fatique,etc...Then other parts of my body started to ache and throb.....my symptoms are far worse now!! I have neck problems,shoulder hurts,legs hurt,hip pain,pelvic pain,butt/tailbone pain,rib pain.....OMG!!as I write this I'm thinking...I'd be better off telling you what does'nt hurt!!The list would be small!!LOL I think you get the picture~ My flares last longer too. I have to agree with an above poster that you can't give in to this DD by laying around 24/7!!Don't let this FM take hold of you!!Take hold of it!!I realize that there are plenty of times where no amount of trying to fight this will do!!yes....I take small naps each day,if my kids allow it~LOL But you have to try your best to stay active,even if its a 5 minute walk around the block or down the street!! I think the more we give in to this the weaker we become,physically and mentally!! We have FM or we have CF...and these DD have taken soooooo much from us already!!Don't let it take anymore!! ~sorry for the ramble:(
    Wishing us all wellness......a cure....,
    Love,
    Tracey
  7. gbean

gbean New Member

I feel so bad! I tried hitting on your password names of all you kind people who wished me well and shared their stories with me about getting worse hoping that it would bring up ways to e-mail u each privately. Obviously I am a new to the board idiot. Could someone please explain how I can easily respond to posts seperatly?
  8. gbean

gbean New Member

9. ChiaPet

ChiaPet New Member

Ive had Fibromyalgia sinse I was 17 yet wasnt diagnosed until I was 18.Im now 26.I havent been feeling as bad the past couple of weeks tho',I dont know why.

But at my worst I felt awful.I remember I would be in so much pain I would be tossing and turning all night and when I finally would fall asleep I would sleep until like 4 in the afternoon!I find I ATLEAST need 10 hours of sleep to feel ok When I actually DO fall asleep.

Ive not been so bad to have been bed ridden or imobile yet.Perhaps because I havent had it long enough yet?Or my case isnt as severe?I guess I should feel lucky.

My thoughts go out to you.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
  10. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

When I was diagnosed with FMS in 94, I was already
    disabled due to back problems and failed back
    surgery. That enough made me bedridden.
    The first few years of FMS weren't that bad for
    me either. However, the past five or so years have
    been really bad. I have been in bed for months
    at a time. I have been bedridden for the past