Feelings of Cold So Extreme It Hurts? Other Body Pains Heightened Too.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Dec 2, 2008.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Last few days upper abdomen and entire GI area so painful it feels like something is going to burst through the abdominal wall. Close to fainting at times. Went to ER Saturday night and the doc greeted me with " well, you've been in here so many times with similar complaints, what do you expect us to do?"

I say, "I don't know."

Soreness type pain and stress in middle upper and left upper abdomen so intense and non-stop ( 12 hours) I finally couldn't take anymore.

They just load me up with Fentanyl and atavan and leave me alone for 2 hours and then send me home. The soreness and stress always lets up to 50% with those drugs but never really leaves anymore in these areas and all the rest as well. I am constantly in pain from exhaustingly irritating to simply and intensely intolerable. I NEVER have a break with no pain.

But, since then entire body from toes to fingers is one big flare of torturous soreness and stress. Same thing with nerve sensitivity and irritation. Like a radio turned on full blast...every sense of pain and stress is so heightened I almost pass out from the intensity. Even the ringing in my left ear was the loudest it has ever been since this started 3 years ago. Still is as I type this !

I honestly feel I could just collapse and go with this. But, with no doctor and my hospital reputation ruined...all I can do is toss and turn in bed and try to pretend I am somewhere in my past when nothing like this ever happened.

Last night, I felt cold on many surface areas of my body ( and this was under the blankets and the room wasn't even that cold! ) This cold feeling was so intense it hurt!

I am not exaggerating. It hurt...badly! I am ready to scream anymnore from all of this. But, my wife can't take anymore along wth our financial devastation and stress and her stressful job to boot. So I scream silently.

But, how could cold hurt? Again, it's like everything I physically feel is now so heightened in intensity it hurts and is torturous. It's unbelieveable ! What is happening to me?

[This Message was Edited on 12/02/2008]
  2. grammasheri

grammasheri New Member

My fingers hurt so bad when they are cold that I can't use my hands at all. I made an old fashioned "muff" to keep my hands in and I use those little packet handwarmers in it. For other places I always keep a heating pad nearby. I have several so I don't have to hunt one down when I start to feel cold. I also found a heated mattress cover. It has dual controls so only one side of the bed needs to be heated.
    I can't help with the abdomen pain. I get it too, espesially if I twist my body just so to reach for something. I think we have all learned to scream silently. It does help to know your not the only one feeling this way.
    Blessings, Sheri
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Aren't ER doctors WONDERFUL???? Make you feel like doo doo, is what they do, or that you are crazy

Anyway, the stomach pain issue....I too have been having problems since Aug....They want me to have Endoscopy, but I refuse. I think it may be an ulcer or gastritis.

Is the pain sharp or dull?

I have found that if I eat or drink certain things, I will suffer....Like cookies or pastries or carbonated drinks, or anything fried. My pain is very dull and deep and can be very consistent.

As for the cold, I cannot handle it either. I freeze so bad that I tense all my muscles and then feel much worse. It can be 75 in my house, and I am just frozen.

Are you sure you are coming down with something???

It is scary having all these wierdo symptoms that you can't even describe to people.
  4. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

This cold was so intense it hurt? Things just seem to be getting worse in many areas. All these extreme sensations and stresses and sornesses are truly torture. No wonder we are all so constantly exhausted.

Is there something going haywaire with our nerve endings? Some type of neurothapy?

Has to be.

I also get intense itching on my forearms and wrist and sometimes hands and scalp and even my face!

I also get muscle cramps on the bottom of my feet soles and my heels hurt and I hardly ever walk anywhere...and my shoulders have these involuntary muscle or tendon twitchings that you can actually see underneath my shirts!

This is all so crazy. And when you try to explain all this to new FP doctors they just size you up as a nut and turn you away. I can't find a doctor because after I tell them all I am feeling they come up with an excuse to not take me on. They don't need hard to diagnose and treat patients like us.
  5. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

It's a soreness more than a sharp pain. Very intense, non-stop for all day...draining to the point of collapse. It seems to be deeper rather than higher towards surface.

I got this lastest episode after eating a rich Thanksgiving meal but other times I can't see how what I ate triggers this. But, it is so intense I actaully double over, extremely weak and drained and start to get higher blood pressure. My reading after 12 hours of that stress was 150 over 95.

Not a crisis to many but I normally read 120 to 130 over 80 something. My temples feel pressured and my eyes get ubelieveably tired during these attacks. Why eyes? I have no idea...could it be the head pressure from stress ? Maybe.

But, stress, strain, pain, soreness and nerve irritation feelings all over just seem to have intensified 2 to 300% more than I ever knew they could with all this.

This is what the doctors don't understand and don't seem to want to understand or believe or sympathize with.

We can't help it that we are feeling all these feelings and stresses and pains 2 to 3 times more than they have ever felt themselves!

Something has damaged our nerve system I believe. Some type of neurothopy. Must be part of this whatever-it-is we have been afflicted with.
  6. drbygrl

drbygrl New Member

Never had to deal with that much abdominal pain, God bless you. Have dealt with the extreme cold situation deep in my body and found my only way to get warm was long, HOT shower or HOT bath. No amount of covers or coverings made a significant difference.

Have you tried a very soft, giant-sized heating pad? That sometimes makes things more tolerable.

Hope some of these help. God bless you both, g

7. Empower

Empower New Member

I assume you have gone through all the "rule out" tests?? All the bloodwork, and MRI's and scans and all that nonsense??? Have you been checked for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? Just a thought, docs can usually tell by palpitating the abdominal area. I don't think there are many symptoms of this but pain, I was just curious because of the high blood pressure thing.

If not, and you have insurance, you should do so

Sometimes I feel that every nerve in my body is standing on end and I just can't relax my body - it is a very weird sensation.

Try describing all these symptoms to a doctor and they do look at you like your from Mars

8. 3gs

3gs New Member

You are not alone!

One thing I have found is with the stomach issuse it is when Iam having severe muscle tension. You can have this when you sleep. You tense up terribly. A constant contracting feels like someone beat the craap out of you with a baseball bat.(have you had your gallbladder cked? thats the newest one my doc wants)

also blood pressure will rise with pain levels!

I too have the cold problem. Even going outside or cold water kills my hands and feet altho Im cold all over. I had polio and my leg and feet go purple when cold. Was told due to poor circulation.

Have read here Lupus will cause pain in hands and feet also itching. Im cking this with rhemy in Dec.as mine has become unbearable.

Screaming in silence with you

gentle hugs
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've suffered terribly with being cold ever since I got sick. And it is very painful. I'm not sure if it's thyroid on me since I do have Hashimoto's from this, or whether it's just the disease itself, but I just plain freeze unless it's over seventy-five degrees and even then, I've been known to be cold.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Dear one, do you have a regular dr., or are you dependent on ER visits only?

Your regular dr. should be looking at various things: pancreatitis, stomach ulcer(s), neuropathy (I'd suggest Neurontin (gabapentin), also the gallbladder.

Can you get an abdominal CT scan? It might be a good idea.

I have severe cold spells, but they are not related to eating; to me, they are thyroid and/or hypothalamus related. The first is easy to find, the second not so.

Your hypothalamus may not be regulating your body temperature correctly, as goes on with me sometimes. It usually takes 3-4 hours under blankets with a heating pad between the layers to warm me back up.

Your thyroid may be seriously out of balance; have you ever had that checked out?

I really feel for you, that you have to go to an ER for these symptoms. Do you have a medical center near you? They can set you up with a primary care dr., to better follow these symptoms. They have "ability to pay" plans, too.

Yes, cold is very painful. Besides pain meds, maybe niacin would help, it warms you up, even tho' the "flush" is uncomfy also; I get Solaray time release, and it is great...about $20 per month.

I can't tell you how important it is for you to have a primary dr. with all your symptoms; they are obliged to search for a reason for such debilitating pain if they are your doctor; the ER docs have no accountability at all to/for you.

I hope you get this investigated soon and find some relief from all this pain.

11. Empower

Empower New Member

With findmind about the primary doctor.

I had gone to the ER for a racing heart after I started an Antibiotic - I TOLD them it might be the A/B and they INSISTED it was anxiety. I told them I had anxiety b4 and this WASN"T anxiety. Don't you know that after I stopped the A/B, the heart racing stopped.

I just don't know what is up with ER docs..... I just don't trust them, especially since they don't know my history.

Findmind - I have REAL problems with cold. How do you know if it is the hypothalmus? Conversely, I have problems with heat too.
  12. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

My doctor said that when I experience things like this it is alodinia(sp). It is like the whole body short circuiting (sp). Your body is tired of the pain and it just goes bisurk ( man I can't spell anything today !). Anyway , the dendrites and other electrical human wiring go into a huge short circuit and your whole body feels everything intensly.

When I was in college , one of my roomates was a nursing student. She told me once that no matter what the medical people say , if you hurt IT IS REAL and never give up . It is your body and you know it best.

I had another friend who went to the emergency room in pain (not with fibro) and they told her she was crazy. A smart doctor finally found after months of crap from other in the medical profession , that she had cancer. Never give up . It is your life.

I hope that you have someone come into your life who can help this situation. It sounds like agony to me and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope that you feel better soon.

You know as I read over the posts again , it almost sounds like what my gallbladder attacks were like , with the pounding and blood pressure going up and everything . The only thing is , the gallbladder is on the upper right side , not the left.

OK , no more ideas from me. It is like the blind leading the blind !
    [This Message was Edited on 12/03/2008]
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

I have an anatomy and physiology book from when I was in college; when I looked up the hypothalamus, it listed every single symptom I have from CFS/ME!

It's actually the HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary axis) that is not signaling our body correctly; thus the temperature that is usually lower than the "normal" 98.6, and then the hypothyroid problems and also the hypotension, where our BP drops suddenly.

Now, Mikie has terrible neuropathy, cold and tingling in her limbs, and she is using nattokinase and guai in combination, and she says it really stops the pain, along with knee-hi compression stockings while she's standing at work. I am going to look into this.

I think one reason Cheney advises Klonopin is in order to protect the brain from all the short-circuiting, and maybe even to help the HPA to work better. I don't understand why so many are trying to wean off of it as it seems to be very important for us. I don't use it, but have friends that do, and they are much worse cognitively, sleep-wise, and verbally when they decrease their dosages.

I have found if I keep my SPINE warm, by coldness doesn't hurt as much, so when I'm in my lounger, I have two layers of clothing and a light wool layer between me and a heating pad, which I have on a lot.
    The heat seems to go from my spine all the way down to my legs, which gives me much less pain.

Talk at ya later, ok?
  14. Empower

Empower New Member

The ol' HPA axis, huh?

I hear about that alot

15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry that you are not feeling well.

I know the exasperation of an ER, but unfortunately they are trained to deal with crisis situations.

Once you are stable they either let you go with instructions to see your doctor or you are put in the hospital.

It sounds like you need to have a PCP who can monitor you more closely than the ER staff.

If the hospital has a social worker that might be the place to go as far as finding a doctor.

You need to be seen by a doctor who will be able to administer tests to rule out different conditions. If it turns out that it is from the FM/CFS then maybe they can help you get some of these symptoms under control But at least you will have a better idea of what is going on..

It is scary not knowing what is going on with your body and being in such misery.

Somewhere out there is a medical professional who can help you.

Don't give up!!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2008]
  16. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

What does one take to help with alodinia or the other disorder you mention?

What part of the body is this?

And guai and the other supplement mentioned...what are these and how do they help and what do they help. What part of the body and it's function are they designed to help.