Feels like a band around my rib cage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by MsBrandywine, Jun 22, 2011.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

The GNP said back on the 9th it was costro.. and now I am wondering if that is what it is or what. Its like right up under the rib cage but when I sit.. its like a roll of fat that just pops up .. from where ever. Not sure if that is muscle and or ligaments or what.. it was on the left side.. now it kind of feels like its trying to do it on the right.. I do have a roll but this is like it does it and it isn't painful just uncomfortable and feels awkward..

I called yesterday to be seen again and they give me an appt for 10:45 this morning.. then I got there and the receptionist says Deb that was for 9:45.. I said well I repeated it back to You and You said Yes.. she said well they do sound alot alike.. .. Duh!.. so she give me an appt with the GNP the same one for tomorrow at 2:15..

I was really having bad gas and bloating bad.. but yesterday I took my protonix.. and that helped it alot.. took my 2nd one today .. only i did take them before my supper.. tonite kind of felt a bit light headed but that went away. Hate it being alone and things happen and its scary.. but I just say my prayers and ask God for his help in getting me thru things..
    but anyone ever get anything like this before?
    Doesn't help when I look and search. lol then that makes my anxiety worse.. so.. don't really care to do that anymore..

Can Costro do this? I know when I was trying to do some gentle stretching.. felt like something popped in my back.. I just know that I want it to go away.. its really getting to be annyoying and scary..
    I thought too maybe the Myofacial for I do have that along with the Fibro.. in the back area around where the bra is.. feels like tension.. so Maybe it is muscle and it goes into spasms when I sit? it isn't quite so bad when I stand.. I wonder too if maybe a rib is cracked or what..
    Think I am going to suggest some Xrays..
    NOt sure if maybe some water therapy would work or what..
    Thanks for anyone that reads and comments.. I just don't know what is going on.. I am sure someone here has had it before. some time or another.. Feel bad for You if it did but.. at least I would know or get an idea..
    Thanks. Hugs, Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2011]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Running your finger down along your sternum on the affected side. Press down in between each rib where they connect to the sternum. If you find a spot in between ribs where it's extremeful painful, it's likely costo chondritis. Costo pain can travel down the arm and feel as thouh it's shooting out the back near the shoulder blade.

With costo, there is a lot of inflammation. A steroid injection in that tender area between the ribs is the only way I can get rid of mine. I only get it after bronchitis but it won't go away without the injection. I have a physiatrist, a sports doctor of physical medicine, who does mine. Most docs don't do this; it's important to find one who does. Sports docs usually know how.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I can feel the inflammation.... I have to go see the GNP this afternoon and I will mention that to her.. I dont feel inflammation but I am not having pain.. It just feels swollen.. I have had it in the chest area before a few timnes but.. this feels around the lower ribs.. and I'm not having pain in the center area of my chest?
    I would be afraid they put that shot someplace where it shouldnt be.. I'm such a whoos sometimes..
    But Thank You so much for replying.. I will bring it up to her and have her check that specific area.. Oh wait.. she did press up around there because she was behind me and pressed up around under the rib area and said Oh Yeah.. they are tender.. because I kind of raised up when she did it.. the right side wasn't so bad but.. Gosh with all of this humidity and rain. here.. I'm sure isnt helping.. any of that..
    Thank You again..
    Hugs, Deb
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope the doc can give you a definite diagnosis of what this is and treat it. Please let us know what the doc says.

Love, Mikie
  5. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Thanks for all who answered..
    Yes I saw here today and now she wrote on the paperwork.. Contusion of the rib, Nausea.. and Abdominal bloating.. so I asked for blood work. so got that done today. right after the appt., luckily I could get in.. and they did an ultrasound of my ovaries because I mentioned about Dr OZ saying when we women have bloating to get that checked.. so she did that.. but she didn't think it was highly likely cuz I just had one done last October and everything was Ok.. had to have a biopsy then too because my pap smear came back with positive cells but then that came back Fine.. so..
    as for the bloating.. still not sure on that.. but she sent a prescription for Prevacid but my INS wont cover for it.. so they will be goin back and forth..
    I had some protonix but last night felt a bit nauseous after I took it.. so guess she decided to change it.. what I had.. I had it in a bag in the car and after being so hot. I didn't think it was any good..
    The lady said she saw cysts on my cervix but she couldnt find the cyst that was in my left ovary. Only have had the one since i was a teenager and they had to remove that when they did my appendix for some reason.. but anyways she couldnt see that.. I said well Maybe God healed it because i had so many people praying for me.. and I just kept trying to be positive about everything being Ok.. and she said well maybe when the OBGYN did the biopsy .. that he took that ..
    As for the lyme.. I looked for that but don't ever remember getting bit by a lyme tick.. I did have a dog tick on me 2 times on my right hip.. screamed bloody murder and my husband at the time got it off.. that was back in the 90's i took it to the Drs.. but anyways.. I am beat. but checked on here bfore going to bed..

Thanks so much for reading and commenting and letting me know..
    Manwithfibro.. I will check that out tomorrow..
    Night everyone.. and Gentle, Healing Hugs..
    Deb
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can also cuase the symptoms you've described. The treatment is antibiotics, especially rifampin or cipro.
  7. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I sometimes feel like my knees are the size of balloons, but there aren't. I'm not sure why they do that (neg for rhem arthritis), but it hurts, weather related, really unpleasant. I wonder if that can happen in the rib cage area? Lots of little joints, all than nice rib cartilage (sp?). Interesting that it isn't in between the ribs per se but under the rib cage itself. For prevacid, were you diagnosed with gastric reflux? I'm just thinking aloud.

I've been reading up on nerve pain, rib pain, etc. I've suffered 8 yrs now (actually, pain went away during both pregnancies) with ridiculous rib (but originating in my back) pain and I am convinced that it is an irritated nerve. No anti-inflammatory has been able to control it. Of course, I've forgotten the name of the condition - will try to find it again and report back.

Wishing you a peaceful evening and hoping that you get some relief soon
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I've never heard of Lyme causing costo. Where did you get this information? Have there been any scientific studies showing that costo is caused by Lyme. I would be interested to see any.

Here's some interesting infor from the MayoClinic:

"The cause(s) of costochondritis is(are) not known and may involve several factors. Possible causes include heredity (genetic predisposition), viruses, and trauma (injury).

Costochondritis can be an independent condition by itself or sometimes be a feature of a more widespread disorder. Examples of illnesses that can feature costochondritis include fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease)."

Nothing about Lyme according to them. This doesn't mean Lyme can cause similar symptoms.

My father, myself and my younger daughter have this.

We will have to agree to disagree about the IDSA.

Take care.

gap

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2011]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Do a little research online on costo, you will find that no one knows for sure what causes costo but it does seem to crop up along side other conditions, including infections and injuries. If there is swelling involved, it is called Tietze's Syndrome. It is actually inflammation of the cartelige where the rib joins the sternum.

I found treatments mentioned which include heat packs/ice packs and NSAID anti-inflammatories. I did not see steroid injections mentioned but they certainly worked for me. I'm not a big fan of steroids but when I've had costo, I could not sleep due to the constant pain. I'm prone to bronchitis and that is what seems to have always triggered my costo. I don't get costo every time I have bronchitis. I think I've been injected three times for it over the years.

Love, Mikie