Feels like a blood pressure cuff is on my arm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MtnDews, May 1, 2003.

1. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

My left arm has been giving me trouble for a year or more. It feels like there is a blood pressure cuff on it all the time and all pumped up! Anyone else have this too?
  2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

...that left arm symptoms can be a sign of serious heart problems, especially pressure or dull aching. Some people can have artery blockages without even realizing it or having the typical warning pains (angina) in the chest.

Women are particularly bad about ignoring these kinds of symptoms and with this DD you could be mislead into thinking it was just the same old stuff.

Get it checked out!

3. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Thanks so much for the responses. I've had it checked out a couple of times, but no real answers. The physiatrist gave me streaches for it. My GP did send me for a stress test last year. He's pretty much given up on me and my werid symptoms. I got smart yesterday and slapped my duragesic patch right on the spot and it's eased some. I've been using the lidocaine patches on it and lately that hasn't done anything.
    I do try to do a lot of work with my hands and it seems to get worse when I've over used them. I think people who have this stuff understand much more than the doctors who just read about it.
    Thanks for your help!
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

The fact that you successfully used the Lidocaine patch for awhile still causes me concern that there is a heart issue. Lidocaine is what the Paramedics give people who have gone into coronary arrest. The fact that the lidocaine is not helping now could be an important clue that your not getting enough to relieve the cardiac stress and that your situation may have progresssed since last year.

Just concerned,

5. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

VERY good point Lane. My family medical history isn't the best either. I just don't know what to do. It's hard when you get dismissed by the doctors. I've switched several times already. I'd wave a white flag at this point. The right arm I can feel the same sort of thing, but not as much as the left arm by any means. At the moment they are checking me for an ulcer, so blood work was done this week. ALWAYS something!
  6. jaylene30

jaylene30 New Member

I constantly feel like I have a blood pressure cuff on my arm! Constant & I feel like my veins are popping out!!!!! I went to a chiropractor & they did realign my back a little ~ it did help, but I am not going because it got very expensive & now the pain is back
    <br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/30/2010</i>]
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been sick with CFIDS/Fibro about 30 years. The first several years, even before I was DISABLED by it, I had that awful tight feeling in my arm, around the top. Like a blood pressure cuff, just like you describe. I don't remember which arm or if it was both. I had been told that it was caused by anxiety but I never believed it. I haven't had that feeling in years and have no idea just when or why it stopped. And, I've never been treated for anxiety.&lt;BR&gt;
    Hope you get some answers and get this resolved.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Interesting this post was bumped.&lt;BR&gt;
    Pain, an aching pressure in my upper left arm that is very difficult to explain is what sent me to the Dr. almost 4 yrs ago. The pain was so uncomfortable I couldn't stand it. I couldn't let my arm hang, no position really helped. The only thing my new Dr. could do was order PT. (PS I had to see her PA) When I went to PT the therapist must've asked me 5 times if I'd been in a car accident at some time. &quot;Are you SURE you haven't been in an accident?&quot;&lt;BR&gt;
    PT didn't help.&lt;BR&gt;
    After 7 weeks I went back to my new Dr. Prior to that my ob/gyn had been treating me for everything including my pain. (he's fabulous and I rarely got sick) That's when we went over my whole history, my relentless pain, IBS, sleep issues etc. and she immediately referred me to a rheumatologist because she suspected Fibro.&lt;BR&gt;
    I saw him - he diagnosed me and I asked him about my arm pain. He suspected it was related to Fibro. There is actually some things written about that exact description. (blood pressure cuff feeling)&lt;BR&gt;
    I can never have my blood pressure taken on my left arm because it is horribly painful. As the nurse is pumping up the cuff, it is the exact feeling I had when my arm hurt so badly!&lt;BR&gt;
    Interesting huh? &lt;BR&gt;
    PS. I would never assume it is related to Fibro, just that it can be. You should always get things checked out to rule out other things.&lt;BR&gt;
  9. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

The first thing that I thought of (after the obvious -heart -get it checked out!) is that this could by a myofascial trigger point....and a bad spasm. If you think about a charlie horse in your leg, would it be a similar feeling in your arm? There is a theory that Chronic Myofascial Pain and FM go hand in hand. CMP has trigger points ALL over your body. you might find that if this is massaged properly that it might also give you relief in your neck as well. Another option is using a personal ultrasound machine to bring more blood into the area. Some spasms go as quickly as they come...but I know from personal experience that I have had certain spasms FOR YEARS...that no massage therapist, physio or anyone else has been able to BUDGE.

Just thought I would share that.

10. Smart blonde

Smart blonde Member

I feel this too. Rarely though. Like yesterday and today it has felt like both arms, and sometimes my chest were being squished by a cuff. My veins pop out and are very prominent. I have thought it was sensitivity to barometric pressure maybe. Or stress. After today I am almost convinced it is a combo of sensitivity to weather change AND a fibromyalgia episode due to severe chronic stress. As the pressure feeling increased, my sensitivity to smell and sound came online. It was almost like a body migraine.
    This morning about an hour after I got up, my back, starting at my neck to halfway down, started getting really stiff and painful. Almost like I had whiplash that extended to mid back. But I had done nothing that would have caused a backlash from the day before.
    But we have had a weather system move in over the last 24 hours.