Feels like I'm about to faint

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been so very exhausted lately. Much more so than I've ever been. For months I've been taking one nap a day - usually in the early afternoon. This morning I had to lay down and close my eyes around 10 a.m.

I have absolutely no energy, no desire, no thinking processes going. I actually feel, if I let myself go, I'd faint. Or sleep for the rest of the day (well, sleep and I are not friends these days). Maybe I'd just close my eyes and drift away.

This is scaring me and my partner. I changed my schedule toward the end of the week to go with him to a doctor's appointment. When I told him, he said, "Good, I want you right by my side." Like he thinks I'm going to pass out and he won't be there.

What does this sound like? I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but not CFIDS. I try to take Ambien or Flexeril at night, then wind up feeling worse than I do now.

Help!

Nancy
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Do you have a blood pressure cuff or monitor? It would be good to know what it is when you feel like this.

In CFS, BP can drop when we rise from lying or sitting position; we get 5-10 steps and our bodies can just buckle from under us, faint feeling, and must lie down immediately.

Dr. Paul Cheney says this saves our lives, that we have a diastolic cardiomyopathy...our hearts don't fill with blood quickly enough to support our movement.

Or, are you hypoglycemic? You must eat well with Fm or CFS, our bodie's do not do well running on no fuel.

You may be having hypotension due to postural orthostatic hypotension (POTS) or neurally mediated hypotension (NMH).

You need to find Dr. David Bell's recommendations for getting this checked out; it may be on this site, or google it.

Do be very careful, I've had several bad falls from this, in tub and down some stairs. To increase blood pressure I eat more salt, pretzels and on my food and drink 8-10 8-oz glasses of water every single day.

Best to you, hope you find answers...

findmind
    [This Message was Edited on 07/04/2006]
  3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

It could also be low iron. I was having these episodes and thought it was my CFIDS, but it turned out that my Ferritin was an 8, normal is 10 - 232.

Since I started taking an iron supplement, it has improved. Actually, I have a lot more overall energy.

Hugs .. marcia
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

Findmind is absolutely right. The first time that happened to me, I felt so tired I could sleep (ha!) all day and night and never feel rested.

My dr. took my BP sitting down and standing up. I have low BP anyway, but when I stood up my BP dropped significantly.

I was told to eat more salt and try not to lie down so much b/c your BP does drop when you sleep/rest and the body keeps adapting.

You have to be very careful though. You definitely don't won't to faint or fall down. If you have access to a walker until you get your BP up - use it. But, as soon as you're feeling better put the walker up - you don't won't to become dependent on it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hugs,
    Nikki
  5. twerp

twerp New Member

lightheaded, as if I were about to pass out.

The only thing I've found which relieves that particular symptom for me is Valium or Klonopin. The Dr. put me on V. at first, but then I was switched to K. as it is less sedating. I've been on it for several years now.

Everyone's different, I know, but it's one more thing to consider...

Hugs,
    Twerp
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am experiencing the same thing. I have high blood pressure now but always had low, very low that is, that the nurses worried about it. I just found out that I am anemic, very low iron deficiency, and need more tests done. I have no energy and have even fallen asleep twice standing up, almost falling down. Dr. believe bleeding somewhere, not sure where.

Please go get this checked. There is a reason for the low iron, IF that is the case as it is for me. Then again, others advice is good to follow as well; just wanted to tell you my experience. Please check all options,

BlueSky555
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Nancy:

You have gotten some good advice. I just want to hear of you being better and with more energy.

I use sublingual Vitamin B-12 tablets and CoQEnzyme10.
    It gives me a boost of energy. GABA balances my mood.

It may be worth a try before you see a doctor.
    Just add my suggestions in with everyone else's good advice.

nyrofan
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Nancy:

You have gotten some good advice. I just want to hear of you being better and with more energy.

I use sublingual Vitamin B-12 tablets and CoQEnzyme10.
    It gives me a boost of energy. GABA balances my mood.

It may be worth a try before you see a doctor.
    Just add my suggestions in with everyone else's good advice.

nyrofan
  9. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I am already taking iron supplements every four days. I'm also taking COQ10 (50 mg) every four days. I took my bp this morning and it was 112/67. I've done some research on Dr. David Bell and found that his practice is only 2 hours from where I live. I've downloaded an e-book he wrote and have read his newsletters.

If I don't get to feeling better (been getting significantly worse the past three months), I just might try to get in to see Dr. Bell. My family doctor just doesn't know how to treat me, especially when all the tests come back negative.

Nancy
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

I've heard Dr. Bell is discontinuing his practice. Call well ahead before you plan to go, he has 2,000 patients!

If he is quitting, ask for a referral to someone who knows about CFS and low blood pressure problems, ok?

Best to ya...

findmind
  11. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

He must have been practicing for a long time. Now it's time to take his experience and share it with others. I downloaded a book he wrote called "Faces of CFS". It's over 200 pages and free. I'm going to read it slowly.

If I call his office, I'll be sure to ask for a reference. Thanks for the heads-up.

Nancy