Feet Hurt. Is this part of Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MildredAnn, Mar 23, 2003.

1. MildredAnn

MildredAnn New Member

Can anyone suggest a cream or medication that would help stop the pain in my feet so that I could take a walking vacation with my husband. I have tried over the counter and presciption orthodics which help some but not enough. Is this part of fibromyalgia? Any suggestions are apprecitated.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think I've talked to you, so I want to welcome you to our board.

I have pain in my feet often, especially in the morning when I get out of bed. I have orthotics too, but they do not address the kind of pain I have. They do help me to be on my feet longer without back pain.

I believe this is part of our illnesses, but I know of nothing to help it except using the paraffin spas which helps some. Have you tried any of the rub-in creams? I cannot use them so I haven't tried any of them.

Sorry I cannot be of much help.

Love, Mikie
  3. AmieRock

AmieRock New Member

Hi,

I too have painful feet...it's the TOPS of my feet. Feels like I have broken bones and someone is stepping on them.

I think there are many of us that have this problem, and yes, it is from FM. If you do a search on 'foot pain' or 'pain in feet' you'll find a plethora of us with this problem. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that works, but I do find that if I put my tennis shoes on first thing in the morning and wear them all day, the pain isn't as bad...oh and socks! Keeping my feet warm has seemed to help also.

Good luck!

4. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I have a cream called capsaicin Cream which seems to work the only thing is if you don't try it before you go any where, you might regreat it. It has red peper in it so it is a perstion but it seems to help a lot of people that I know around in this neck of the woods. They just put this cream on at the begaining of the day and at the end it seems as if they are not walk, hurting, or anything else at the end of the day. I am sorry that I don't know anything else that seems to work around here. They like to call it the mircale worker.
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

help with pain? My kind of pain is.... I was in a really bad wreck and I have such pain on my right foot...its the top part where I have this BIG hump from damage and its also my ankles. I can't walk ata ll withoput major pain!!! I have been dx'd with fibro...wonder if the cream may help? Guess I could try..p;ease answer if possible...Thanks...Pammy
  6. KathiM

KathiM New Member

I have the same problem !!!!!!!

I have a DR. who prescribed a cream called "Ketoprofin" it has to be made by a compounding pharmacy and it does do wonders.......
    I have had several refills on it and the last time the Dr ordered neurontin to be added to it.
    Ask your Dr about it.

Good luck

kathim
  7. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Bravo to you for even attempting to do a walking vacation! As much as I like to walk I just can't keep up with others anymore but still try to do a little every day.

How about support knee hi stockings? Having something snug fitting helps my feet when walking. Also I've seen a rubber type of slip on foot glove that is made for bunion support which I haven't tried yet but would think it would also give the snug feeling without wearing the stockings or even wearing both. I haven't found a cream that helps but see lots of other suggestions.

Hope that you find something that works so you can enjoy your vacation and please let us know if you do.
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I definitely have much more foot pain (on top, and bottom--different kinds of pain) and foot tingling. It seems to be worse some days than others. I cannot walk nearly as far as I used to, and I can appreciate your dilemma with wanting to take a walking type vacation. One suggestion would be to try to alternate heavy walking days with more "off your feet" activities like train trips, boat rides, bus excursions, if possible. I'm not sure where you're going, but is renting bikes a possibility? I tolerate riding my bike ( I'm talking leisurely, non-hilly routes) much better than long walks because the impact on my feet isn't there. Plan on a nice long soak at the end of the day & buy some epsom salts for the bath, too.

One further suggestion that's helped me in the past----make sure your spouse agrees in advance that you can sit out activities if your feet just can't take it (make a back-up plan). This has helped me enormously, just knowing I have my family's support if I CAN'T do something; I just tell them to explore without me. And I have almost never needed to back out of any planned activity (in fact I'm often the most enthusiastic one!) but just knowing I CAN gives me a lot of peace of mind...

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your vacation a lot!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  9. patchwork

patchwork New Member

or lets say I was in what seems like a previous lifetime when I could still work. Your pain probably is due to the F.M and I think the thing which would help most is heat. Try some nice warm footbaths - fill a bowl with water as warm as you're comfortable with and sit and soak your feet. With patients I used to use a wax footbath where they put their feet in a bath of melted wax - this is wonderful ,but I imagime it's difficult to get hold of one..
    I'm also a big believer in Reflexology and have noticed that the places feet hurt correspond to places in the body where there are problems. So if your feet hurt in specific places you might want to look up on a Reflexology chart what area it corresponds to.I'm sure you can find a chart on the web somewhere.....
  10. jakota

jakota New Member

My feet only hurt when I first stand up in the morning or after sitting quite a while. Then it's a weird feeling like swollen pins and crackles, that leaves after I've walked on them a few minutes. I keep a wooden foot roller, with different width grooves (designed for foot massage) and it helps after just a couple minutes before I stand up.
    Hope that helps some.
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I often have foot pain and swelling. I remember years ago having pain in my big toes (now all toes hurt), but back then I just thought it was athritis. I commend you on wanting to take this vacation, but am wondering what kind of walking are you doing? Will it be pretty much flat walking or a lot of hills? Several years ago (before my FM diagnosis) my husband and I went on a vacation and spent one day doing a lot of walking to see some caves in southern Ohio. Most of it was pretty rough terrain-lots of hills. I could barely walk and couldn't straighten my back for several days afterward. I was in a lot of pain.
    I don't have any trouble with walking on a flat surface as long as I have good, supportive tennis shoes on.

Ellen
  12. ColleenD

ColleenD New Member

It would be nice to take a long walk again, but after 8 yrs of FMS, it's just not possible. I look normal, but have this problem with my legs & feet. Many of my symptoms I have healthed myself out of. But my legs & feet are still my problem. I have found Venastat in the pharmacy to be very helpful for DEEP pain in my feet & ankles. After 2 wks, hubby didn't have to give me deep massages anymore. However, I still can't be on my feet much because of lack of strength in my legs & feet. I just have to accept it, but continue to look for another cure (I've found many over the 8 yrs). I continue to take Venastat (horse chestnut extract can be purchased cheaper from VitaminShoppe.com, 2 caps a day). But try it from a drugstore first to see if it helps. Take care!!
  13. Dayle

Dayle New Member

Yes I too have suffered from those pains in the feet always worse upon waking. After just 1 week on CORAL CALCIUM the pain was gone.
    LOLOVE, DAY
  14. starstella

starstella New Member

that amieRoc describes. it got pretty bad. using neurontin for a few months cleared it up. my feet don't hurt me much now, but plenty of other body parts do. welcome to the world of fm.
  15. swred5

swred5 New Member

This is a topical liquid with Glucosamine & other stuff. It is made by Icon Labs, the phone # on the bottle is 1-888-724-6755. It really has given myself, my mother & my mother in-law some relief from our various pains. I know in Arizona we buy it at Walgreens, but I imagine if you called the company they could tell you where you could either find it, or get it on-line. The bottle is kinda pricy when compared to something like Flex-all, around $16.00 for 2 ounces, but a little goes a long way, and at least for us, it has been worth the money. I wish you the best of luck in finding something that will help relieve some of your pain! : )
  16. MildredAnn

MildredAnn New Member

Is P-k-5 something you rub on your feet or take by mouth? Thanks for all the suggestions.
  17. swred5

swred5 New Member

It is a thin liquid that you rub on, just like you would flex-all or ben-gay. I have known a lot of people that have been able to get relief from it. I usually use it at bedtime to help get my back pain down some. I wish you the best of luck with your feet, I know what a hard time I have at work with mine. One day I wore a pedometer to work, and ended up walking over 3 miles! Crazy!