Feet hurt terrribly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jcole, Aug 27, 2003.

1. jcole

jcole New Member

I was just very recently diagnosed with FMS. I have several of the symptoms that go along with it but my worst (at least right now) is the terrible pain I have in my feet and toes. I am a mother of two, 6 and 10, girls and my feet are getting so bad I can hardly walk at times. Also I get like instant fatique at times, especially when driving. Does anyone else deal with this? I could really use some advice. the tiredness from driving really worrys me. I also have the headaches, IBS, fog, knee osteoarthirits, stiffness etc.
    Thanks
  2. Owlbird

Owlbird New Member

Hi Jcole!

My feet have hurt since I was 15 years old, and I am now in my 40's. I've had two operations when I was in my 30's which helped the excruciating pain after about 10 minutes of walking. I had the roots of my callouses wrapped around my bones in my feet, and nueroma's underneath my third and fourth toes. The pain now is more of a burning on the top of my feet and the bottom of my toes. I believe the burning is part of Fibro from what I hear. The headaches, IBS, fog, and the knee problems can all be symptoms of FMS. There are lots of different compliants and similar complaints from anyone who has fibro. Has your doctor put you on any meds? Have you tried a podiatrist? I would get my feet totally checked out to see if there is something causing you so much pain besides the fibro. Take care! Owlbird
  3. carole128

carole128 New Member

Hi jcole

Last year I had terrible pain in my left foot, I also had very bad sciatica. My left foot felt like a dog was biting the side of the foot and that I had a broken ankle. I could not stand on my foot in the shower. I kept going to my doctor and had x-rays. I was taking the maxium of pain killers and still had to have a pain killing injection every few weeks. I started to use a walking stick. Not only did my foot hurt I had pain everywhere and severe sciatica. My husband was great and massaged my body for me, got up in the night when the pain woke me and filled up hotwater bottles and heated wheat bags. My husband was also off sick recovering from a nervous breakdown. I could not have manged without him doing all the household chores and cooking. What I found really helpful was visiting an osteopath. My osteopath gently massaged my hips and leg and pulled my foot. I also found that castor oil added to massage oil very good and bathing in epsom salts. Fortunately my foot and sciatica improved and I have slowly cut out most of the medication. For months I could not drive, however I can now but only short distances. I was diagnosed with FM early this year. The osteopath keeps my body working but I have to go fortnightly.
    I get very tired so I have learnt to do a little chore then to have a sit down then do another little chore and then another sit down.
    Carole128
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Absolutely, my feet really hurt. Diagnosed several years ago with plantar faciitis, 3 heel spurs and tarsal tunnel syndrome by a podiatrist. Anti-inflammatories help when it's at its worst. Can't stand on my feet more than a few minutes at a time. Now have handicapped license plates because walking is so hard. Try not to shop unless I just have to. Hubby gets the groceries. I use my cruise control all the time and hate to drive in the rain when I can't use it. My feet hurt the least when I have them up in the recliner even though they are still tingling, feel numb and have spasms.

This was posted by madwolf a few weeks ago to help with foot problems:

"Here is what I recommend for all of my patients:

1. Take a round wine bottle, say around a 2 qt size, do what you want with the wine, and then put a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol into the bottle, leave about 1/4 of the bottle empty, drink the mixture... wait, different recipe, sorry. LOL

2 Put the bottle into the refrigerator to let it cool down. This is important as I have found that the bottle will break if put into the freezer too soon. Messy

3. After it's been in the reefer for a couple of hours, put it into the freezer, and let the stuff turn into a slush. It will never freeze completely at freezer temperatures, and this is what we want.

4. Lay a towel on the floor, place the bottle on the towel (the towel gives traction), and put your foot on the bottle, and roll the bottle back and forth between the towel and your foot. This will "ice" the foot, as well as massage the bottom of your foot. This works great. Ice is the best anti-inflammatory known. Do this for 20 minutes out of the hour, as often as you can, but at least 6 times a day.

You will be surprised at how fast your foot will improve."

These are exercises give by "someone" in the same post:

"Using tennis ball. softball, or pop can to roll foot on. Put a towel flat on the floor and use your toes to "scrunch" up the towel between your toes, then let it go. Get some kids marbles and scatter them on the floor, and use your toes to pick them up and put them in a coffee cup. Stand on a step and stretch your heel down. But the one that helped the most was lay on your back on your bed. Use a beach towel, (or a long belt) and fold it under the ball of your foot, and hold the ends in your hands. Lay with your legs out flat. Gently, slowly, raise your leg up to a 90 degree angle, and then pull down on the towel to stretch your foot down towards your body. Another one is to stand about 18 inches to 2 feet away from but facing a wall. Put your hands on the wall, shoulder height. Gradually walk your feet backwards until you feel your calf muscles stretch."

Hope these help.
  5. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

HI, YES MY FEET ARE ALWAYS PAINING ME, A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I HAD TO CALL 911, BEACUSE I WAS SO SICK, I WAS VOMITING AND IN SO MUCH PHYICAL PAIN I JUST COULD NOT STAND IT, MY PAIN MEDS WOULD NOT EVEN WORK... I TRIED TO GET UP TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL AND I COULD NOT WALK ON MY FEET. THE BOTTOM OF MY FEET WERE LIKE THE BONES WERE ALL BROKEN, MY HUSBAND THEN HAD TO CALL AN AMBULANCE, SO WE WENT THAT WAY. THEY KEPT ME AND PUT ME ON MORPHINE, AND WOULD NOT LET ME GO UNTIL I COULD KEEP SOMETHING DOWN AND STOP VOMITING AND THE PAIN WAS GONE. EVEN THEY DID NO TO MUCH ABOUT FIBRO THEY TOLD ME IT HAD TO BE VIRAL, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO FEVER. MY FEET HURT SO MUCH EVERYDAY ESPECIALLY IF I AM ON THEN FOR LONG; I HAVE TO MASSAGE THEM WITH A HEATING RUB. TRY THAT ----MASSAGE WITH A HOT RUB. STAY OFF THEM FOR AWHILE--------------SHARON28
  6. sanlee

sanlee New Member

I too have had several heel surgeries, spurs, neuromas, bunion probs, pain with not wearing support in shoes. I don't go barefoot due to the pain of walking on bare feet. I have little padding anyway on the soles of feet.
    I find it doesn't depend on how much money the shoes cost either. Spenco supports help. I've spent so much money on shoes to then end up giving them to the goodwill. Have to be careful what activities I choose.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's usually when I get up in the morning. Sometimes there is burning with the pain. Funny thing, there was just a discussion about this on the Lupus board too.

Love, Mikie
  8. lea

lea Member

You may want to try calcium. Or if that doesn't work, you may want to check your pottasium levels.
    good luck
    best,
    lea
  9. dimarc

dimarc New Member

I'm sorry to hear that so many others suffer from foot pain. I really thought I was alone in this. My Dr. told me it was due to the herniated disc in my back and didn't even link it to my Fibro...go figure. Down deep inside, I it was Fibro related. My feet are also almost always freezing to where I can't warm them up. Any suggestions? My Dr. of course, offered no comment. The wierd thing is the rest of me is always hot; but yet my feet never are.