Feet problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Nov 17, 2010.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

I have been having problems with my feet ? Can fibro move to the bottom of your feet? I hAve had my chiro check for heel spurs planter fasatis he says no. I take plenty of magnesium !!! But when I walk or stand for a certain amount of time I hurt so bad!! I almost had to set down in walmart could barely make it to get a gallon of milk !! Anyone else experience this . Please share. Thanks crickett
  2. coolma

coolma New Member

Definitely...it can hurt on the soles, heels, and all around your feet. It does hurt to walk and you are not imagining this. Support your feet well, and put a gel insole inside your shoes when you walk. Anything to cushion the pressure on the foot. I have full gel insole and heel gels too. You can especially hurt your heels. Good luck!
  3. coolma

coolma New Member

when my foot pain was really bad on the soles of my feet, after walking I would put an ice bag on the soles, or a wheat bag and wrap it around my feet. The coolness really helps ease the pain. I think it numbs it.
  4. roge

roge Member

sadly yes fm can affect any part of your body where there is facia. and there is a lot of it on the bottom of the foot and itis hard to rest and heal the feet as we are always on them. I have had plantar facitiis for 2 years in both feet and now spreading to the achilles heel and up my calves and now big toes, it has been a nightmare. i have tried orthotics, physio, massage, new shoes, and no help. i will try prolotherapy next and then maybe shockwave therapy. so frustrating. i used to be able to walk 20 minutes and now maybe 5 minutes. like i said in another post, fibro is more than just heightened pain sensitivity, there is evidence of actual dysfunction at the peripheral level (ie. muscles and facia). it is the biggest crock that i always read fm is just central pain amplification. ya that is part of it but lets not kid anyone, there is something very wrong with how our muscles and facia function. just google fibro and abnormal muscle and there are studies out there...some feel our facia never heal as we dont have enough growth factors (namely IGF-1 which comes from growth hormone) to heal our muscles and facia and why when we get actually injured (ie. strained muscle or facia) it is devestating for a fibro person as we dont heal properly and are left with more residual pain after the injury is supposedly healed. goodluck with your feet
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2010]
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You should consider being evaluated for Bartonella infection.

Very commonly causes foot pain, especially sore soles.

see pages 24-26 of this paper:

6. luigi21

luigi21 Member

Yes fibro affects the feet, ive had mine six years now, (well actually ive had my feet all my life) but the fibro 'widespread' pain 6 years, the foot pain became a symptom during the second year from what i can remember after i had decided to start walking for exercise. Absolute agony. For me it did wear off a little over time, as with fibro my most painful areas are always the ones i use the most. soaking your feet in a bowl of warm water helps, then massage the bottoms of them, or better still get someone else to do it. i also take a wheatie bag to bed with me and stick my feet on that too. unfortunately with fibro over the course of time different symptoms raise there heads. Heat, massage, light exercise, and stretching (once muscles are warm) have stood the test of time. Because fibromyalgia causes tightness in the muscles and even without fibro not using the muscles can cause pain due to weakness, its important to stay active, and not stretch cold muscles always warm up first, massage, then stretch. rolling you feet over a tennis ball may also help. all the best.
  7. coolma

coolma New Member

They cushion the sole of ;your foot, raise the arch in differing degrees, take the pressure off the sole, and off the heel. Also keep your foot from distending, or falling over on the arch (turning in) when you walk, which they now know causes Plantar Fasiatis...inflammation of the heel ligaments that attach to the foot. This cured mine, which I suffered with for over two years. I cannot go without wearing my Foot Science shoe inserts anywhere....they are available in Canada at some pharmacies, you can try the internet, and I know a chain of shoe stores here called "Tender Tootsies" which sells them over the counter. They really work and I would advise anyone with foot pain to get them. Cheers!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2010]
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I am having a miserable time w my feet aching, throbbing, feeling swollen. I have orthotics from a podiatrist, I've tried lots of different types of shoes (they must have very cushy soles and good arch support), clogs, sandals, I've tried all Dr. Scholl insoles known to man!

I soak them and elevate them, massage them, ice them and heat them, and use various creams and potions. The only thing that helps is if I stay off of my feet, not very convenient!

I've actually had problems w my feet since I was a teen, but this is different. It's probably been for the last couple of yrs that I've been getting this aching, bone sore type of pain.

I thought for awhile that it was cuz I had gained some weight, but my feet still hurt after I lost the weight.
    And, unfortunately, this discomfort seems to be getting worse. It must be the fibro. I guess I need to get a new referral to a podiatrist.

Man, it's always something huh?
  9. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have never been big on wearing shoes, (although I do love them) but I have found that now, especially w/winter here, I have to give special attention to my feet.

Here's what I have found to be helpful.

I have taken to wearing Keen brand shoes almost exclusively. I wear Keen wool clogs w/wool socks around the house to keep my feet warm b/c my foot pain and all over body pain seem to get worse if they are cold. I prefer Keens b/c they have wide toe beds and I have yet to find a pair that don't fit and I can order them online and not worry about fit. I also love the Born brand, but I have found that I have to try them on.

I soak my feet in a warm epsom salt bath a couple of times a week. I also have socks that can be heated that I use after applying lotion and right before bed.
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've tried Keen shoes (my sisters swear by them) but they are too firm on the soles of my feet. In fact I have a pair here that I ordered online that I need to return! I really like the way they look, and the width is great for my duck feet, but not cushy enough. Haven't tried Born, but I know those are another type that my sister likes for her arch support.

I like Crocs for the cushy factor, but not enough arch support to wear for any length of time. And orthotics don't fit in them. I have lots of Birkenstocks that I've collected over the yrs, and I like the ones w the soft foot beds that they have out now.

I refuse to wear any type of heel, but since my wardrobe mainly consists of jeans and tie-dyed tshirts, this is rarely an issue! My dressy shoes are actually Birks, very elegant:)

I was just looking at an ad in the paper for a shoe store in town (Foot Solutions, it's a nationwide chain) that specializes in "comfort shoes". They say they do custom foot analysis, make orthotics and have lots of shoes and related accessories. I might go check them out, but they're probably more $$$ than going to a Podiatrist on my insurance!

I've also tried knee high support stockings that were recommended by my PCP for my aching legs. I can hardly stand to put them on tho because they're so tight and the top cuts into my chubby calves...I can barely pull them up!

Over the yrs I've always added cushioned insoles to my shoes when I could. Some shoes aren't roomy enough to do this tho, and I end up w shoes that are too tight! Can't win:)

I've only been out of bed for an hour or so, laying on the couch, and my feet are throbbing! I have so many things that I need to do around here, but being up and about on this tile floor just kills me! I'm very frustrated right now.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2010]
  11. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

How to Diagnose a Bartonella Infection
    By an eHow Contributor
    Bartonellosis is an infection by a bacterium in the Bartonella genus. At least twelve members of this genus have been identified, although only three are considered significant as far as human diseases go. B. bacilliformis can cause Oroya fever and verruga peruana. B. henselae can cause cat scratch disease, and B. quintana can cause trench fever. Both B. henselae and B quintana also may cause bacillary angiomatosis and bacillary peliosis.
    .Difficulty: Challenging
    Notice that Oroya fever and verruga peruana are closely related infections with symptoms that can range from mild to severe and appear suddenly 3 to 12 weeks after being bitten by a sand fly. Body aches, breathing difficulty, chills, fever, headaches, seizures and sweating can occur in severe cases.

Observe the site of a bite or scratch for symptoms of cat scratch disease. An enlarged lymph node and an inoculation lesion may develop 5 to 10 days following exposure and may last for up to a few weeks. Cat scratch disease is generally not serious in patients with an uncompromised immune system.

Expect trench fever to incubate from several days up to a month. Several episodes of fever usually occur, lasting about 5 days each. Occasionally, the fever may be continuous and last 2 to 6 weeks.

Examine patients with a compromised immune system for signs of bacillary angiomatosis. This infection is most closely associated with AIDS patients and typically involves the skin. It closely resembles Kaposi's sarcoma but also can affect the bones, brain, gastrointestinal tract, lymph nodes and respiratory tracts.

Check for infections of the liver or spleen if bacillary peliosis is suspected. Symptoms may include fever, skin lesions and tender lymph nodes, depending on the infection site.
    .Bartonella Infection testwww.natvetlab.com
    Cat Scratch Disease Bacteria Accurate Blood test for your cat

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2010]
  12. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I rub peppermint oil on the bottoms of my feet when they hurt this way. I put on quite a bit and rub til it feels warm. No more pain.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I changed to a shoe with a good arch support. Easy Spirit oxfords seem to be the best for me. I find I cannot walk in my other shoes anymore without pain and I can't have a heel more that about half to three-quarters of and inch. An inch or higher makes me too dizzy. GB66
  14. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Here is some Bartonella information. It commonly causes sore soles.

Borreliosis commonly causes foot pain that can present like plantar fasicitis.

Scroll to 9th paragraph from the bottom of this great essay....

and it's on the symptom list here under musculoskeletal system...

Read through the entire symptom list. If you have alot of the symptoms, you should consider that you may have chronic borreliosis.

Fatigue, pain, cognitive problems and sleep problems are some of the most common.