Feldenkrais anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chloe_s_mom, Jun 19, 2011.

1. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

Hi there, I'm new to these boards and have been busing trying to read (and retain....a bit less successful on that front, sigh) much of the valuable info here.

Just wondering if others have tried the Feldenkrais method? I find that I go through spurts of trying everything, then running out of energy and money. I am slowly learning that more isn't better and that making and keeping appointments can be not only exhausting but also counterproductive.

That being said, I have had two sessions (private) at a near by Feldenkrais clinic. Having my body moved without pain at that moment was heavenly.

However, I've noticed a mini flare, often about 24 hrs later, after each session and wondered if I should be continuing on?

Has anyone else tried this method?
  2. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I had several sessions of Facial Integrative Therapy which totally transformed my freedom of movement. They helped tremendously, but each session took a toll. I might be wiped out afterwards, but the improvement was definitely worth it.
  3. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

make that FASCIAL integrative therapy
  4. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I have another session tomorrow and am already running on fumes (pain and a chest cold). I certainly look forward to being relaxed for that length of time though.

I've been happy with some of the at-home homework (a cd), feeling super relaxed, especially for the exercises that could be done in a chair (instead of on the floor).

5. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I had done a search, or at least I thought that I had, but you've found threads that I didn't see - knowing me, I must have been looking in the wrong spot - hahaha!

I really find the comments re. light touch to be fascinating bec I have had similar experiences but hadn't condensed those passing thoughts into a theory.

I tried the world's most gentle form of therapeutic yoga. Once. And couldn't get up (or down) my stairs for 2 days afterwards. The most minor of movements and I was down for the count. Yet I routinely lie on tennis balls or have one of my daughters lean/stand on specific points. I also adore having the weight of one of my dogs on my legs, yet find sheets can irritate me. Hmm, I'm going to continue to think about these ideas to see if I can find more examples.

Everything is at a cost (financially/time/energy) so I want to exercise caution in chasing treatments and find some sort of balance with my tendancy to want to try everything and anything, 'just in case'.

Again, thanks for responding and providing those links too.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2011]
  6. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I had a mini Feldenkrais breakthru! I had my third session and was busy telling the practionier that they whole idea of doing these 'exercises' in one's mind were a bit beyond me. I didn't get it. Really didn't get it.

I have been wearing orthotics for several weeks due to horrible foot pain. to my delight, my foot pain has been greatly improved. To my frustration, my hips now hurt.

During that third session, one hip began to hurt less. And when I got home, I needed to rest. And both hips flared up and I lay in bed, imagining my femur being gently moved upwards into the hip socket and then later, my pevis rocking from side to side (like being rolled over) and the pain gently went away. After weeks of hip pain. When the hip pain started up that night, I did the same mental exercise and felt the pain melt away.

Giddy with accomplishment, I tried imagining different movements and created SI joint pain (again, simply from imagining). To say that I was shocked is an understatement. I have a long road ahead and lots of learning, but feel like I have been given a small tool that I can use, have control over.
  7. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

You know you are tired when you are looking for a 'like' button (as in Facebook). All this to say thanks for the post!
  8. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

thanks for sharing - glad to hear positive feedback about the method (and so sorry to hear about your nephew)