FELL DOWN THE STEPS TONIGHT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petsrme, Nov 16, 2005.

1. petsrme

petsrme Member

I was going down our front porch steps tonight and got to about the third one down. My right leg just sort of collapsed. It has felt like doing this before, but I didn't lose it completely like I did tonight. Before I knew it I was down on the sidewalk with both feet turned under so that I landed on the tops of them. I just knew I had to have snapped both ankles, but I didn't thank goodness. The tops of both feet are covered in raw, blood spots.

I also must have landed on my left wrist and left knee because now my knee is hurting so badly I can hardly walk. It is swollen and bruised. I feel like I have been beat and am aching all over. I have that same feeling I get when I overdo it or ride in car too long; aching all over, flu symptoms and fever. I wonder if the fall caused my immune system to go into overdrive and start fighting causing this flu symptoms to happen. Has anyone ever gotten that after an injury, fall or accident.

I hope I can walk tomorrow and get around. I dread to see my body tomorrow. I am going to have to go now and lie down.

Goodnight friends.
  2. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

hi
    i fell down to this summer and all the weight went to the left knee, and i broke two toes on the other foot...the knee cap swelled up awful.....i went to orth. dr...took mri and xrays...said to watch knee, being as i might get a blood clot in it....it has taken at least three months for it to heal....toes hurt and he said it would hurt for a very long time......they broke at the base of foot...
    i hope that you did not hurt yourself any worse. it is awful when you have trouble walking in the first place.....
    hope you recover in no time
    blessings.....shirley
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I am so sorry about your Fall. I hope that tomorrow, won't be filled with Pain.
    I bet you will have Bruise's and thoes Hurt, sometimes I think, more than a cut, or burn.

Be sure to let your Dr. know, about this, even if you don't go into see Him/Her. It should be noted on your Medical records, in case you have more problems later.

I sure hope not.

I Fall a lot too, mainly when I am going UP the stairs.
    I lose my Balance easily due to the Buckling Knee's and Ankles we are prone to.

First rule of thumb, is Ice for 20 mins then Heat for 20 mins.
    After that, if a Hemptobin, (sp? DEEP BRUISE ) developes, use Moist Heat.

I had Tumors develop from some bad Brusing, when I was a teen, so I do know that they can be more than just a Bruise at times.

Plus having FMS, makes Everything Hurt Worse,

May today be as Painfee as Possible, and again I am so sorry about your Fall.

Hug's,
    sharonk
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and i wasn't even been drinking. that was the first question people would ask.

i just remember waking up so darn tired, you know those days you can't hardly move.....

about half way done 12 steps i went face first...i was trying to protect my self the best i could. i had one shoulder that had surgery on it already a few years back, but it was not perfect my no means. then the other shoulder i had problems with that one for about a year a/c joint was congentially fused, with arthritis, bursitsis, cysts. well the next day i couldn't take the pain any longer and kaiser sent me to uurgent care for xray...well they didn't never got back with me...
    so i called my primary doctor she was p.o and said why haven't they sent you to ortho yet?! i said i'm just doing what they say to do in pain clinic take a cortisone shot 3 times and nothing worked...

well got into ortho dr. he siad when do you want surgery i sadi iwanted it over a year and a half ago....then that is when he told me about the all above...

that had help some better but not perfect. he showed me how my rotator cuff was really imflamed...so i have been getting problems w/that...

so i know how you are going to feel especially if yuou have some ortho problems underlying on top of the fibro... try to soak in epson salt and take arnica or the trameel...and if that doesn't help then go to e.r. for an xray///and yes ice.

sorry to hear you have joined my club of falls...

rest up

jodie
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

to hear of your fall. It sounds so painful. It is amazing you didn't break any bones. We have enough pain without falling and creating more. Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon.

Ellen
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Sorry to hear about your fall. That is one of my biggest fears about this DD. My right knee goes out a lot and my ankles are both weak so I am always trying to hold on when I use the stairs.
    Try the ice and I hope the pain isn't too unbearable. Might be a good idea to go ahead and see the doctor, at least have it documented for further use.
    Stinker56
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Sorry about your fall, you're probably going to feel worse today, too. You were wondering about the flu like feelings that you have following this. Well, people with CFS are constantly having recurring flu like symptoms following any physical, mental, or emotional exertion. The fall you had certainly counts. I noticed you didn't have CFS on your list, but sounds like you may have it too...Take care, lie low today, and maybe tomorrow. Love, Marie
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'll bet today you feel muscles you never knew you had! Falls have a way of wrenching the body so that the parts that are originally hurt are not the only ones to bother you.

Rest, ice, heat, elevate...Wait...I'm not sure about the heat right off. Brain fog or old age...who knows? (-:

Sue
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I can't count the times this has almost happened to me going down... and even UP the steps. It is a scary feeling!

I sure hope that you are o.k....you might need to see the doc...if you don't feel better today.

Keep us informed on how you are doing!

BIG HUG.....Mari
  10. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I too have taken several tumbles to the point that my hubby considered getting me one of those lifeline buttons so I could call for help if I fall when I am home alone. The worse was one morning when hubby had to go into work at 2:00AM and I fell and could'nt get up. I crawled to the phone and called my son who at that time lived next door and he came over and helped me up. It was as painful and embarassing at the same time because I have tried to shelter my kids from as much as I can on incidents that happen to me due to my FMS. Both the kids know a lot but until the fall my son did not realize how bad things are. He started researching about FMS and talked to his sis and now they are constantly telling me about something they read and have I tried it and they call alot during the day when they know that hubby is at work and if I don't answer the phone because I'm in the shower or something, they will come over walking through the house calling my name. It scared me the first time it happened because I keep the door locked but the kids both have keys and here I am in the shower and I hear someone in the house. When I realized it was my son and his wife I was so relieved. They informed me that I was to call them and let them know if I'm going somewhere or going to get in the shower. Instead I just take the cordless phone in the bathroom with me.

Back, to your fall,I also have the flu like symptoms after a fall but I find that any time I overdo, ride in car, even mentally stress over something that it feels like my immune system gives up and I have a major flare-up with all the flue symptoms and aches that go along with it.

My hubby has told me more than once that he notices every time anything like the above mentioned happens that he feels that I have no immune systom to fight it off.
    '
    So I do believe us with FMS are effected like this.

Hope you can take it easy and I hate to say this, but I feel like your aches and pains are going to get worse before they get better.

I'll keep you in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Grandma6
  11. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have fallen so many times. They all know me at the emergency room. I broke my ankle last year. And you described the fall on the ankles exactly how my feet went.
    My legs would get wabbly all the time. I use to fall at night while I was getting out of bed to go to the bathroom.

At the time I was taking muscle relaxers before bed. I cut bk on them. There were days when I would be real fatigued and weak & the same thing would happen. Think about the TIME you fall, and the TYPE of day that you are having.

If you're exhausted etc. Be real careful at those times, perhaps modify your day, hang on to the walls as you walk. Also, take a good look at the drugs you're taking & see if various side-effects my cause your legs to go numb.

Sorry about writing a book, but see if these things work.
    GOOD LUCK!!

PIRT[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2005]
  12. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I have fallen so many times. They all know me at the emergency room. I broke my ankle last year. And you described the fall on the ankles exactly how my feet went.
    My legs would get wabbly all the time. I use to fall at night while I was getting out of bed to go to the bathroom.

At the time I was taking muscle relaxers before bed. I cut bk on them. There were days when I would be real fatigued and weak & the same thing would happen. Think about the TIME you fall, and the TYPE of day that you are having.

If you're exhausted etc. Be real careful at those times, perhaps modify your day, hang on to the walls as you walk. Also, take a good look at the drugs you're taking & see if various side-effects my cause your legs to go numb.

Sorry about writing a book, but see if these things work.
  13. petsrme

petsrme Member

I just wanted to stop in and read any responses to me. Thank you SOOOO much for all your care and help. It means the world to me. I appreciate each and every one of you. I am pretty bruised and banged up. I can walk better now though and can get up off the toilet without screaming LOL! I am having some itching on the tops of both feet. It is the little bones that go across the foot. I don't know what in the world that could mean. It is almost a sore itching. can't explain it. I have felt like I have the flu since I fell and ran a small fever. I guess my body is just doing what some of you said...immune system problems.

I am sorry for making this so brief and not posting to each who helped me. I did read all of your posts but I can't stay on too long because of the way I am feeling.
  14. HBanana

HBanana New Member

Petsrme,

That's awful that you fell! I always hate it that something like that exacerbates other symptoms! Make sure you take it easy -- the first several days after a fall like that are the most important, I've found, otherwise you overdo it and make things worse.

I fell down the concrete steps outside my apartment 2 weeks ago (my stupid neighbor insists on spraying them with the hose everyday, so they are so slippery I don't know why I haven't fallen more!). I hurt one of my feet and calves, but I didn't think it was that bad. However! It is *still* hurting so much that I have trouble sleeping! And the fall definitely triggered an FM flare-up. I find that any kind of unusual activity or trauma, physical or emotional, ALWAYS makes my FM worse. UGh!

I hope you start feeling better soon!! Take good care of yourself, that's so important! I agree with other's suggestion of Arnica -- taking some and rubbing some on your bruises may help some.

~Hannah
  15. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I hope you are feeling better, hurt less, and the flaring is settling down. That must have been frightening.

Take good care.

Fondly June

16. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have fallen down the stairs from a upper bedroom maybe three times. On purpose, we did not have a hanging mirror nor book case, etc. at the bottom of the steps, to be injuried by.

I have more of a ranch style home with an added very large bedroom over the garage and I loved it. But my hubby asked me to please move to a down stairs bedroom so I did not get hurt. Sadly I changed bedrooms.

We have to change our ways and our habits. I started realizing that I walked on the tip of my toes and they only hit the front edge of each step as I went up and down them.
    NO NO. I walk with my foot flat now and towards the back of each step. My ankles will still give out, but I have less of a chance of falling.

I walk slower and measure each step. My ankles will give out rather quickly and that is what makes me fall. But there is a nanno-second that I feel it coming, the part where my ankle gives out. I can stop and brace myself and not fall, if I am not rushing.

I walk like an old lady now, rather on steps or flat land. I am protecting myself by doing so. My wrists does the same, and arms. etc. I can not hold others babies often as it is dangerous to the child! I can tell when it is safe for me to do so. Some do not understand when I tell them I can not hold their baby. But that is the way it is.

Part of what ails us......we have to change certain habits
    even though it does not complelty stop the problem, it helps...........
  17. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I find that if I hold on to the rail on my strong side and use the cane on my weaker side. it will catch my falls better.Linda
  18. petsrme

petsrme Member

I jsut wanted to let you all know I am doing much better now. My back is acting up worse, but other than that the bruises are pretty healed and the cuts are healing.

Thank you all so much for your posts and caring. I am sorry I havn't been posting. I missed everyone.

I don't walk with a cane, but sometimes I think I might need to. I never know when my leg will give out. Thankfully, I have always caught myself, with just a couple exceptions.