FELLOW FLORIDIANS RE: WEATHER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kim, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

I live in Central Florida. For those of you here and those of you who live in humid, rainy climates, do the dark, cloudy, rainy days make you hurt more?

I know the sunlight on the eyes re:mood elevation works for me but these days we're having have just made me want to crawl back in bed and pray for sun.

I'm from upstate NY originally and can't begin to think of what I'd do if I were still there experiencing cold on top of rain and clouds.
  2. Kim

Kim New Member

Daytona Beach. I see you live here too. Last night I spend an hour on the computer looking at the weather all over the US to see if there was a place both warm and dry.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This sort of weather used to bother me, but since I started taking Armour Thyroid, it does not bother me at all anymore. My doctor told me overreacting to stimulus is a common symptom of untreated hypothryoidism. The big test will come at Xmas when we have cold, rainy weather, plus the holiday depression I always get because I don't have a "Leave It To Beaver" sort of family, and never have, but wish I did. That is my most down time of year, and we will see if the thyroid and progesterone treatment I am on will keep my mood up then! BTW, I live in Clearwater.
    Klutzo
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

This past February about did me in. The rain, cold, and husband out of work knocked me into another depression. For some reason I can get through the Fall semester and having three weeks off at Christmas works. But January and February are my rough times, especially with this new dizziness symptom.

I don't even have pets. My husband doesn't want them. I also have no family, or none that consider me family. Poor me (ha ha). I really would like another dog or even a cat or two.

kim
  5. ChattyCathy9

ChattyCathy9 New Member

I just recently moved to Central Florida from Connecticut.
    I have found that the weather here is more tolerable. When we get the passing shower that gets done quick I don't seem to be bothered by it. When we get this continuous weather like now, I seem to be more prone to a flare. The advantage that I have over someone that is working is that I can run for the water as soon as I see the sun. This seems to help along with an increase in pain meds.

Because I am new to the area, I wonder if you have found any support groups. If you work at the University that area is accessable to me. Are you aware of any support groups in that area? If you do, please post a message with info. Sure would like to meet a few people with the same complaints.

Just read a little further and discovered that you are in Daytona. I am in Ocala. You get the weather after it hits here for the most part or sometimes it goes north instead of east. You are about 2 to 2 and a half hours from me. Have two brothers over there so do visit sometimes. If there is a support group, let me know and maybe I can schedule a visit around a meeting.[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  6. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I'm a Floridian gonna-be, unlike a wanna-be....lol I am in Michigan now and we are trying to get our house sold so I can be where you are before winter. We are planning to be located Southern-central, depends on where hubby finds a job. Maybe when I get there we could all get together for a support group/pep rally/ice cream social (depending on our temperament you know)lol! I might even be able to focus on ya all; nobody can wear anything with a print! Gotta love the dizzy-stuff eh Kim. love, Rebel
  7. Kim

Kim New Member

Rebel, you made me laugh for the first time today. People don't understand my aversion to patterns but they drive me crazy with this dizziness!

ChattyCathy, the only support group I know of is in Ormond Beach (that's about an hour and a half from you - straight down Rt. 40. It's at the Hospital there and once a month. I haven't been.

Yep, maybe we can all get together.

Good night and God bless.

kim
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Cathy - call Fibromyalgia Network at 1-800-853-2929. They have a nationwide data base of support group listings.

Rebel - Har, har! if you want to live down here, the first thing you need to learn is that it's y'all for one of us, and all y'all for more than one! :)

Kim - No pets! A fate worse than death as far as I'm concerned. Is hubby allergic? If not, I'd probably not trust him! I can't understand anyone not wanting animals....my family was like that....they thought animals in the house were dirty and disgusting. Heck, little kids are dirty and disgusting too, but we love our kids. I am sorry you are family-less. My family is mostly dead, and my husband's family might as well be, as far as I'm concerned. Xmas is the one time I really need that Florida sun, but it always rains for three weeks straight at xmas here...bummer. Consider us to be your family!

Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  9. RedB

RedB New Member

We have just had 3 wonderfully warm, mostly sunny days!!! Yesterday was absolutely the best -- 80 and little humidity.

We must have passed on our rainy, cold weather to you, because that is what we had for weeks and weeks before it turned nice. We were beginning to make plans for an Arc. LOL

It will pass, and you too shall once again be sitting in front of your air-conditioning because it is too blessedly hot to step outdoors. I wonder if we are the only nation to wait impatiently through 9 months of winter for the warmth of summer, just to spend most of it inside in air-conditioning?

Kathy
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even when it's hot and humid in the summertime, it feels good to me. We are back to our usual summer type weather now, sunny in the mornings and cloudy and raining in the late afternoons and evenings. I like to have the sunshine and do not do well when it's cloudy for a long period of time.

I have lived where it is dry, and for me, it was awful. I had asthma from the dryness. I think it is different for all of us, though. Some like the dry and some like the humidity.

Love, Mikie
  11. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

Hi there!! I am from central Florida! I live about 30min West of Gainesville! This weather has been awful for me. I wake up and want to crawl back in bed. I have no energy on days like we have been having. Yesterday I woke up and was ready for the world, then the hurt came back as it decided to rain off and on all day!! I get so depressed.
    I was also wandering if there is a support group around here. Maybe at Shands or North Florida. I am on a waiting list to see a couns. that just deals with this dd but it is one on one. It sure would be nice to find a group!!!! I think Shands at Uf would be the best bet since they are a teaching hospital. Maybe I will call them today. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thanks for posting

Hugs,
    Barb
  12. Kim

Kim New Member

No, hubby isn't allergic, just intolerant. Actually, he treats me well and understands I can't do any housework...but he's been out of work for 2 years (long story). Right now he's fixing up the condo we bought and told me not to pack, that he'll do all the packing when we move. So in one way he's great BUT I still want pets. We live in the perfect neighborhood to walk dogs and have a big screened porch that looks out on a lake....something cats would enjoy.

Right now, I'm just praying that I can drag back to work when the semester starts...it's our only source of income.

How did I get on this rant!

God bless you all for accepting me as I am.

kim

OH GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY: The sun was out at 7:15 and I dragged myself out of bed and took a 2 mile walk. It was beautiful!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  13. achy

achy New Member

I moved here from jersey when I was 3...lived in Clearwater (hiya klutzo), then moved to Okeechobee, and now live in Pensacola. Atleast we get seasons here. Winters are cold enough, but not too cold. But the summers are murder!!
    "They" say you'll get used to the heat and humidity. NOT.

I can always tell if a front is heading in or a storm is brewing. My entire body aches..every inch!!
    Right now just having the Tr. Depression in the gulf is triggering a flare.

If your looking for local support groups contact your local arthritis foundation office...they usually sponcer them, that's how I found mine...and it's really helped.

Nice to know I have so many "neighbors"...
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  14. dd

dd New Member

I must be the oddball here. I love the rainy cloudy days. Those kind of days are the only times that I feel comfortable outside or inside...less heat. When it's raining or cloudy outside I seem to have much more energy and seem to be in a better mood. I love the sound of the rain on the rooftop...it is soothing to me...always has been.

I get so tired sometimes of this Florida sunshine. It's too bright and too hot for me. Sometimes I feel like packing my family up and moving to a place that rains most of the time. I even love the cold weather. I much prefer winter...the whole 9 days we get it here...to summer. I think it has to do with the heat being so draining on my body.

Peace,

Debbie
  15. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I am way down South in Florida. Born and raised. I live where Hurricane Andrew blew through.

I do get sick of the heat. I love to visit my bestfriend in New Jersey in the Winter. Like the snow and cold. I cannot say that heat or cold makes a difference in how I feel. It is my body itself that decides I find.

I do like the sunshine but rainy days are nice to relax in. July/August are not as rainy as May/June are. December/January are beautiful.

Janine
  16. gail3942

gail3942 New Member

Kim, we moved here 6 years ago from Ca and I love the weather. Where we are the mornings are usually sunny and then rain in the afernoon. I find the warm weather helps me. I too would like to find a group in my area. If anyone know of one please let me know.
    gail