Fellow Geeks Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by larryh, Dec 16, 2006.

1. larryh

larryh New Member

I just installed a 30 day trial of Windows Vista and was wondering if anyone else has messed with Vista at all. If so what do you think of it? I installed it on my laptop and everything works except my wireless card and it looks like I am not going to be able to make it work either. I am still finding my way around so I am not sure if I like it or not.

2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Okay, I evidently am out of the loop ever so slightly I am sure! :) But please explain...what does Vista do?

Really, I am curious because my oldest son will have it free on his computer he is ordering, but we are not sure what it is, so the timing was great!

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  3. larryh

larryh New Member

I answered on the other message, but Vista is the new version of Microsoft Windows. I thought someone other than you would reply. Maybe all the geeks are in Iowa.

4. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Yup, I posted on the other.

I am blaming it on the Fibro Fog!! Really, I had heard of it and spaced off the name until my husband reminded me.

I think I will check it out tomorrow. I will keep you posted. :)

Thanks, and take care,
    Blessed Be and Kitten Hugs,
  5. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Larry,

We've been testing Vista almost from the beginning beta issue was available. I totally enjoy using it.However my hubby hates it. It's sure not for everyone. If I was not doing some office stuff and other text intensive stuff I don't think I would change. Most microsoft users don't really need it or use it to full potential. There are some things that don't mesh with this programming. The total program is slated to release on Jan.30th. As in XP there are built in stoppers for anyone not running it legally. Any more questions to help you get running better?? I'll do my best to answer but not tonight. My sleep meds are saying night night to me. Maineweezie
  6. larryh

larryh New Member

First welcome to the geeks on chat.

Vista is not going on my main PC any time soon. My accounting software will not work even though the upgrade advisor doesn't say so. It also says my HDTV card will not work in one place and says it will work in another. The same for my HP scanner. It looks pretty and Vista it's self is not hard to get around in. Office 2007 is another story altogether. It is like they threw out everything and decided to make the menus as complicated as possible. I am running the final release version of both Vista and Office so it isn't going to get any better unless they add some more hardware drivers which I doubt. Companies would much rather sell me new hardware than provide new drivers for the perfectly good hardware I already have.

Maybe if my wife wins the lottery so I can by all new hardware I might upgrade. Right now it looks like it is going to be just a new play thing. I can get all of my hardware to run if I use Linux. Shame on Microsoft huh.

PS: I don't really like windows in case you couldn't tell/
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Where can you go to try it out?

Is it going to cost to keep it after the trial period?
  8. larryh

larryh New Member

I think Microsoft has stopped downloads of the Vista trial now, but the DVD image has been posted all over the internet and Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing anything about it because it expires in 30 days unless you purchase a valid license. The reason I put it on my laptop is because I can wipe it off in 30 days if I don't want to keep it.

9. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for the welcome to the Geek society. Not bad for an older woman who couldn't find the on button a few years back. I made the fatal mistake of asking a grandson to show me how.Now I'm addicted and have to go to online support groups.

If you want to try the Internet Explorer 7 section that's a free upgrade that you can use. I do believe the Vista Beta has been stopped for new users entirely. To be honest if I wasn't getting ours free as a tester I doubt I would buy it. It does sounds as if it will be considerbly more expense than any other Microsoft products were.The software support is up to the hardware venders on the whole. Somethings do load automatically, but alot more don't. We have a top of the line all-in-one photo printer that I was beginning to think was a fancy paper weight. I hollered loud enough to at last get a upgrade. As for the Office 2007 program,it isn't as good as the older version I don't think. It might be ok if you'd not used the other. The medis players are pretty good and those would be free too. Free is good!! Maineweezie
  10. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I had a email to just see it, but I wanted to try it out.

How much is it going to cost to get it and when?
  11. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi msbsgblue,

Release date isn't scheduled until Jan.30th in the USA. Not sure if that date's international or not. There are more versions of Vista coming up than any other Microsofts applications before now. I may have misunderstood prices but I doubt it. Even on foggy days I am still a penny pincher so know prices on most things. Enough so I can direct Hubby through most any store thru cell phone for shopping esp. in the grocery stores. On Vista I had understood the lower tier which would be similar to XP Home edition would cost somewheres around $300. Of course the bussiness or media would be close to double that.

The best part of Vista for me is the IE7 which can be downloaded from the Microsoft site for free. Other than that I don't believe you could run this at this time even on a trial basis. I do warn you that this can be a extremely intense program not for sissies by any means.Maineweezie
  12. larryh

larryh New Member

I won't post any links on the message board because of the fact that Microsoft has "offically" ended the beta program. If you are good with a search engine you should be able to find and download a copy that will run for 30 days though.

Before you worry too much about getting Vista download and run the "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor: from Microsoft and make sure you can even run it. Vista will not run on most older computers.

As for what it costs I am not sure, but it will not be cheap. At least to start with. If no one buys it I am sure there will be discounted prices soon after the release in January.

There are parts of Vista that are available from Microsoft though like the new Internet Explorer and Media Player like maineweezie said.

Some programmers have also written software that makes XP look and act more like Vista.

13. larryh

larryh New Member

I agree with your assessments of both Vista and Office 2007. The only thing I really like about Vista is the look. It will be a lot safer for users who do not know anything about security though as it tries really hard to protect you from yourself. To me that is just an irritation because I used to be in a position where I had admin rights to the computers where I worked. I really do not like a computer to tell me I do not have the right to do something. It did not take to long to get past Vista though.

I will probably stick another hard drive in my desktop and install Vista just to see if my hardware does work. Just something to keep me occupied and out of trouble.

14. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Again,

You're very correct that Vista will keep you safer online etc. The options for working around this would be difficult at best for most computer users. I enjoy the mind challenge involved with computers. As you say it keeps me out of trouble. One thing I should have mentioned was the amount of hard drive space and working ram memory needed to run Vista is way beyond many computers.

Hubby is a "Sanitation Engineer" in our small town area. Because so many Americans think of computers as disposible we fix the older units up + give to families and those on fixed incomes that wouldn't be able to afford computers at home. At times I have new users come to the house to learn computer 101. At least these don't go into the landfills.Either they become working computers or parts for others. Now you talk about a learning experiment?? It has been yet it's keeping me from mischief. Maineweezie
  15. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Ok guys,

Must have been a foggy day or I was doing a DUHHHHHHHHHHH moment here when I typed in the Vista price points. I've run the business edition so long I used that price point.

On Vista if you're thinking of an upgrade for the home edition it should be $99 for that. A new installation would be $199. The Office or Professional edition starts at $299 for upgrades and more for the larger packages.

As for the security being stronger. The Vista can use it's own Defender program rather than the Nortons,McFee,etc., etc,etc. If that hasn't got those companies boiling mad! But I did try using some we had used for years and that didn't work as well as the Microsoft ones. Another add on that's been wonderful for me when I remember to use it is the Voice Recognition. It seems much smoother than the Dragon or others that I've tried. Hope this helps and sorry about the brain parting company the other day.