Felt great on antibiotic--Why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I had wonderful days when I was on an antibiotic (ceftin) for another problem. Now that I finished the med, my aching joints, muscles and general malaise has all come back. Can't figure this out! I have FM/MPS/CFS and have a moderate condition, but the days with the antibiotic were pain free. Now, I know that antibiotics are not the real answer to this problem because if we took them continuously, we would be in trouble if a bad infection came our way. I have a low IGg immune disfunction and I know one of the remedies is taking low dose Amoxicillan daily, but I didn't choose this route because of fear of antibiotic resistance. Can anyone explain this?
    Tania
  2. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

I can't explain it but wanted to tell you that I have had the same experience. In fact the last time it happenend, my daughter-in-law was the one who brought it up. She had noticed the change in me!!
    Annette(3)
  3. AmieRock

AmieRock New Member

I can't explain why either, but I was temporarily working in a doctor's office during October and November and he gave me some samples of an antibiotic for a sinus infection I had. I felt GREAT. No pain for the first time in years. One night while we were there late getting ready for an open house, hubby was there with me, and we were talking with the doctor and I explained the lack of pain and asked him what might be in that antiiotic that might possibly help fibro/cfs patients. He was baffled and said he hadn't a clue, but long-term use wasn't advisable.

Hmmmm....maybe researchers need to focus on this phenomena, as I've heard it from several people lately.

Love,
    Amie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In my case, it was a bacterial infection which triggered my illnesses. This mycoplasma infection became chronic and I am now on Doxycycline antibiotics. I have been on them for more than a year now. It takes a long time to starve out stealth bacteria once they have gotten a good hold in the body.

Because our immune systems are so screwed up, we are also prone to infections of opportunity. These can go stealth in the body, living below the immune system's radar by incorporating the body's own DNA to hide behind.

When we are on antibiotics, these wee beasties can no longer replicate and thrive. Our symptoms often disappear or greatly diminish. When I have tried to cycle off my antibiotics, withing three days, my symptoms return.

You may have a chronic infection. Ceftin is in the cephalosporins family and I do not know whether these are effective against mycoplasmas or not. Penacillin drugs are ineffective and tetracycline drugs and Cipro are the meds of choice. Between 60 and 70 percent of us with CFS and/or FMS test positive for mycoplasma infections.

Love, Mikie
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I know there have been several posts on this and also some medical research on the use of antibiotics..
    But I'm with you, whenever I have to take an antibiotic for some type of infection, I seem to have less pain, and also the biggest difference is my fatigue..It barely exists then..I get like these energy spurts when on antiobiotics..
    Gee maybe dr would give me antibiotics when I want to really get into some major housecleaning......LOL..
    Just wanted to throw my 2cents in.......
    Take Care..............Donna
  6. Elvira

Elvira New Member

What type of test is performed to find out if you have mycoplasmas? And is it generally covered by insurance, to your knowledge? Just curious, as I have a dr. appt. next Tues. and wondered if it is something I should bring up.

Thanks,
    Anita
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I had a mycoplasma titre test and the dr called and said it was negative. It was when I had walking pneumonia last year and I asked if it was mycoplasma. They said it was negative. Now, I'm wondering if it's just not active like when they tested me for EBV; they said it wasn't active but I have mucho antibodies in me.
    It's wierd--I finished the drug two days ago and I'm aching all over today.
    Tania
  8. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I too have been on antibiotics for sinus infections and felt better. I have also been on antiviral medications and felt better too. How do we get our doctors to prescribe these medications for us if our tests are negative???
    Thanks,Vicky
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The forensic PCR DNA test for mycoplasmas is the only reliable test. Even at that, if the blood is not very carefully handled, there is a big chance of a false negative.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I answered under your post.

Love, Mikie