Felt like I was losing my mind due to restless legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Jun 19, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Oh, I had the most HORRIBLE experience with my legs last evening.

I haven't even been diagnosed with RLS, but I KNOW that's what it is!

It started around 6pm. Drove me CRAZY! I was wiggling and moving my lags as fast as I could while sitting. I tried stretching my leg muscles and even pounded on them a bit due to frustration.

Later, I got a a throbbing headache, not related I'm sure.

So I took 2 xanax to help calm me down from the legs, and 4 advil for the headache then went to bed at 8 PM1

I literally felt like jumping out of my skin with this tickle-ly weird sensation. Nothing helped!

So I slept till midnight, then again till 9am.

What can I do to help until I get to the doctor?

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Just every night, about the same time, that creepy, crawly sensation would set in my legs. I take Mirapex, and it is a lifesaver. I used to walk all night, sometimes till 5:30 a.m., not being able to sleep or even lie down. So the best thing is to get to the doctor...I don't know of any other effective relief. Some people say to put a bar of soap under the sheet where their legs are at night, but I had NO luck with that one.
  3. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

but until you can get a prescription the quinine water is a good suggestion. You can also buy quinine tablets. I bought some called "Leg Cramps" last week at Wal-Mart. It was about $3.50 a bottle. I'd take the Xanax too just to make sure you cover all your bases. LuAnn
  4. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Wow, I've never heard of quinine water/tablets before.

Is it in the natural vitamin isle at Walmart?

Thank you again!!!
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I also am interested in taking Quinine water or tablets.
    What section of WalMart can it be found in. If in the pharmacy aisle-==roughly where is the location.

I get RLS sometimes and it drives me crazy.

NyroFan
  6. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Try Requip or Mirapex for restless legs. I tried Mirapex and it worked great but for some people (like me) it makes them very sleepy so I had to stop. But I know others who don't have any symptoms of sleepiness...depends on the person...good luck.
  7. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I did find the "Leg Cramp" on the supplement aisle where all the vitamin, supplements, and minerals are. I could not find it by myself so I went and asked a phaarmacist and he came out and found it for me. It was right under my nose--of course. It didn't take away all of the restless leg symptoms, but it sure made them more tolerable. Any amouont of pain or distraction you can ge rid of helps. Sorry I'm late getting back to you on this. LuAnn
  8. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

RLS can lead a non-suicidal person to genuinly contemplate it. I have been suffering for several weeks now, constant. Mine started in puberty and is just hell. The first time I tried to get any help for all of this was 15 years ago. I finally broke yesterday and had to call my psychiatrist. My eyes are still swollen from crying and I don't feel like I am done crying. She wants me to go to a Neurologist but I told her I was so tired of doctors. I have been getting the "LOOK", laughed at, and just plain ignored for 15 years now. I told her I would go, but it was only because she was recomending it. I really hate when a doctor asks something to the effect of "So, Why are you JUST NOW trying to get help for this?"....My Lord, I have been trying for 15 years and I tell every doc I see the same thing. I am really not up to dealing with this right now, but I saw the post and had to reply. I am so tired of being told to "Hang in there". I've been hangin' in there for over half my life and it only gets worse, for me.
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Wow, you're just 3 years younger than me!
    GREAT picture on the profile. (I need to get one up!)

Anyway...Thanks for responding to the thread.
    Gosh...isn't infuriating to get the "look", or that STUPID question.."Why now?"....UGH! Makes me wanna slap'em!

I sure hope this is a different neuro than you went to before. And I PRAY you get relief!

Fortunately, I do not experience the RLS often, but when I DO...well, you know.

Take care sweetie! And KEEP IN TOUCH PLEASE!

C-Mom
  10. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

Man, how glum can I be? Don't get me wrong, chronic RLS is extremely hard to deal with but I still try to remain positive. Today just happens to be a positive day. Yes, my body is fighting me tooth and nail. Yes, my FM is really severe today, in extreme pain, but I want to have at least a few smiles. My RLS finally let up a little and I was able to get rest. I say rest because I do not think I ever truly get sleep. Anyhoo, just wanted to let everyone know that I am not all about living in a dark cloud. Thanks for letting me vent in my previous post!!
  11. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I have found that calcium and magnesium help me a lot with RLS.

Also, I try to force myself to get up early in the morning so that I am really sleepy when I go to bed and am troubled less with the restless legs. Don't know if that will work for everybody, but it seems to help me.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to try.
  12. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Glad you vented on the one reply!

We all know our moods go up and down, in and out, sideways...and well, you get it! LOL

I see my doc tomorrow about "my list" including the restless legs.

Gosh, I sure hope he acknowledges FM, CFS, RLS and all the other things I have!

I'll post tomorrow afternoon to let you all know what happened!

Lotsa love,
    C-mom