Feral cat bite. Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frankielee, Nov 7, 2011.

1. frankielee

frankielee Member

Hello, I have moderate to severe CFS. I felt so sorry for my neighbor's cat, that I started feeding him about three weeks ago. He looks so much better. He is starving for attention but since the neighbors kicked out of the house 10 years ago, he is feral. He wants to be loved, his motor runs, so I pet him with a glove on. Today, I must have hit a bad spot, he hissed and bit me. The bite was so small, pin head, I didn't think it would bleed, but it did a little. I take coconut oil, 2 tbsps and day and iodine internally everyday. I put magnesium oil on the bite.
    Question: I don't get any shots(not even flu shots). My daughter's husband is a allopathic MD and says I need a tetanus shot. I am positive this cat has not had a rabies shot. What would you do? Should I just watch for any infection? I don't have any health insurance.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

There is no way around it; you need to get a tetanus shot for a cat bite, especially for a feral cat. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but cat bites have a high infection rate.
  3. frankielee

frankielee Member

Thank you all for the advice. You are all right, I need to see someone about the bite. Since I have been sick for 5 years, I have been more sympathetic to sick animals and people. Yes, I will continue to feed him, but I can't pet him now.
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Oh Frankielee,
    That is not a good thing. Cats have filthy mouths unlike dogs. Any cat bite has to be evaluated at the docs. Not just because of rabies, but because you can get other illness from the bite.

You really cannot let this go. This has happened to me. Your going to have to trap the cat right away. I'm sorry but poor kitty is going to have to be put down and tested for rabies. YOU MUST do this right away!!! If the cat was carring rabies you have to know right now. You can't blow off and hope for the best.

Luckily I didn't have to have rabies shots. Get animal control in to trap the cat now. If the cat bit you it could bite some child. I'm sorry you don't have health ins. but you can be seen by your public health nurse free. I'm so sorry, please act today.

Prayer's your way,
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't think that this cat needs to be trapped or reported. That is a bit over the top. It would be different if this cat had attacked, but it didn't; Frankielee was playing with it. Even friendly house cats will bite you on occassion, especially if you hit a sore spot.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The cat wouldn't be put down. They would put it in a cage and observe it for two weeks. Then, if it should have rabies, which it probably doesn't, they would inform you. More than likely it will be okay and the cat will be put up for adoption. I would inform my doctor and see if a tetanus shot is needed and if it gets infected they may give you antibiotics. Don't worry, just ask you doctor or public health nurse.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My mother's tame house cat with all her shots bit my mom some years ago. My mother had dementia, didn't notice and no one noticed until her lower leg swelled up with serious infection. She could have died.

Cat bites are notoriously dirty - I don't think the issue is really a tetanus shot, but antiobiotics, although maybe tetanus too. Anyways, you don't want to mess around with a cat bite. (although I believe human bites are even dirtier! for what it's worth)

But the cat shouldn't be put down. Many cats will nip if petted when or where they don't want to be.

I wouldn't put magnesium oil on a bite - I don't think it has any antibiotic properties. Instead you can use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide or neosporin, or something like that, although you may need something more from the doctor.

8. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Cats are nasty, dirty animals, especially in their mouths. I was bit years ago on the thumb, contracted cellulitis, and was on three different anibiotics.

I switched to dogs a long time ago!

Yes, do get the bite checked.