Ferritin Confusion/Fatigue & Pain

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by jaminhealth, Jul 21, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I've brought up Ferritin over the years here and still find myself in a state of confusion
    over it....when I got my Ferritin to 64 (2010) I remember back then I was feeling better.....My
    Ferritin may be 30 or less now and I'm in more joint pain than ever!!!!!!!

I've backed down from taking Iron as it's so confusing and so many opinions on it....so
    I just posted to the owner of a thyroid board which is also owned by Mary Shomon...here
    is what she came back with today:

I posted a question on Ferritin confusion to the person who runs Mary Shomon's thyroid group and here is what she sent thru today:

Ferritin is storage iron, what your body draws upon as needed. After menopause the body doesn't have to constantly replenish iron stores due to lack of periods but everybody needs iron. Men don't have periods and can get anemic too, showing low ferritin and iron levels.
    The recommended ferritin levels around around ***80-100***. Just adding iron rich foods to your diet can make a difference. How's your vitamin B12 level? B12 is necessary for iron absorption. If you choose to take a supplement, keep it 4+ hours away from thyroid meds, before or after. Iron is best absorbed with vitamin C but binds with calcium. Supplements are best taken with meals for better absorption.

Fatigue and muscle aches can be caused by low ferritin, which is why we tell folks to check for anemia or borderline anemia. Symptoms of low iron are symptoms of low oxygen which are similar to hypo symptoms.
  2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

It's vital to get tested for Ferritin, blood iron, Haemoglobin (Hb) levels prior to starting iron supplements. Also a test for Hereditary Hemochromatosis as too much iron intake will kill. Also anyone having red blood cell infusions should not take iron supplements as overload can occur.

If Ferritin levels need increasing then using a supplement such a Ferrous Fumarate which contains about 30% elemental iron should help increase levels. It's the elemental iron the body uses, the rest is waste. An iron supplement can be mixed up with food, this will help distribute the iron throughout the food and aid absorption over a longer period of time and offers a much reduce risk of adverse reaction. It's best to slowly escalate iron dosage as this allows time for the gut and body to adjust to the supplement. It'll take a few weeks to significantly increase reserves of Ferritin using around 50mg per day (split in half with 2 meals) of Ferrous Fumarate. It's best to get Ferritin, iron, Hb levels tested after say 2 weeks or so to see what's going on, and to do this with a medical professional in the loop. Someone with severely low Ferritin levels would require higher doses of elemental iron supplement, a medical professional would need to supervise such a condition.

Finally you would need to check if any medication you are taking may clash with an iron supplement, often spacing out the iron supplement far enough apart from the medication is all that is required. For example, taking Levothyroxine on an empty stomach first thing in the morning then the iron supplement no sooner than 2 - 3 hours afterwards mixed with food. Also try to avoid tea intake and anything else that can interfere with non-heme iron supplements such as Ferrous Fumarate.
  3. I've never been told or given any information like that from my doctors, I have only ever been told flippantly that my ferritin is 'slightly low', however after seeing more and more doctors I found that it was worryingly low. Your ferritin is low too, I was told it should never go below 15!