ferritin levels anemia ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Nov 21, 2007.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

dose anyone know what a normal ferritin level is mine is 4 up from 1 thanks charlene
  2. Febricula

Febricula New Member

My doctor says she prefers to see levels over 40.

I'm sorry your ferritin is so low -- you must be feeling very exhausted. But it's a good sign that they're going up. It takes many months to restore iron levels, so hopefully by your next check up they will be even higher.

Are you taking iron supplements? I tried Slow-Fe and am now switching to Floradix (sp).

-febricula
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

for the info i have thalassemia anemia so it makesit that much harded my blood count is 8.5 down from 9.9 which is normal for me i need to find the cause though i am taking shaklee vit they seem to work the best for me with my stomach hugs charlene
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

last month and it is still at 7, it has been 7 for almost a year..... I have taken supplements,and as well as other meds to get it up but...still the same.

love to all, Ann
  5. Timaca

Timaca New Member

was 5 ng/mL and that was after several months of taking iron supplements! I ended up needing a uterine ablation for even though I was taking 200 mg of elemental iron, it wasn't enough to improve my iron status. My menses were just too heavy.

My iron disorders doctor said that any ferritin level less than 50 ng/mL meant that the bone marrow was deficient or depleted of iron stores, no matter what the reference range of the lab was.

He wanted my ferritin level to be above 50 at all times, and wanted mine at 100 ng/mL before I quit taking iron supplements. It took me 2 years of supplements to get my ferritin level to 100!

Timaca
  6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

mine is low too, but not as low as what you all are posting. i have been taking iron supplements, and i am doing a little bit better. (a bit less fatigue) one thing i noticed is that my IBS- diarreah is gone!!!!! now i am constipated which for me is so unusual! so now i have to work on that!

bigmama2
  7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Charlenef,
    Thanks so much for this post. I have just had my levels for ferritin checked and it was 22 and I understand the levels are between 20-? Doctor say's I am within normal levels but I think I should be atleast in the middle of range..or at least above 2 points from the drop off,So thank you so much for the post from one person that say's Doctor insists it not be lower than 50 and that he wants you up into the hundreds. I will need more info on this so that I can go to doctor and request that I head for higher levels.

Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving.
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i guess a lot of people have a problem what happens after your a 1 though blood transfusion? hus charlene
  9. Timaca

Timaca New Member

charlene~ Make sure you find a doctor that will follow your ferritin level on a monthly basis.

I had mine drawn every month so I could see if I was headed in the right direction or not.

You should do the same. You certainly don't want to keep going down.

Timaca
  10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have had my blood drawn for the last 3 months i just stopped guai to see if that had something to do with my blood being so low my rhumey just perscribed lyrica now i just read that kills your red blood cells so i dont know what im doing hugs charlene
  11. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i just wanted everyone to know my ferritin is now 48 and hemoglobin is 12 i did 3 iron ivs and have been on iron pills for the last 6 months
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My doctor says that he likes to see patients with a ferritin over 50. It sounds like you are close, congratulations!!!

Do the iron IV's bother your stomach. Are there any side effects to the iron IVs?

Take care.

gap
  13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

there are a lot of people who have reactions to the ivs. i didnt though, they were no problem just time consuming. no ,they shouldnt bother your stomach. my stomach is bad but i found that chelated iron is easy on the stomach and it dont constipate me either. it can also be called easy iron hugs charlene
    i also had an ablation done to slow my m bleeding[This Message was Edited on 12/26/2008]
  14. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, charlenef and the group.

If anyone is interested in exploring possible reasons for the low ferritin experienced by so many PWCs, here's something to consider, based on the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS:

Nearly all the PWCs who report low ferritin are women, and of course we know that women have a greater demand for iron because of the monthly loss of it.

However, it is my impression (but I do not have statistical evidence to prove it) that a higher fraction of women who have CFS experience low ferritin than do women who do not have CFS.

I think the reason for this (assuming that it is true) is that low stomach acid production is commonly found in CFS, and stomach acid is important for separating iron from incoming food material so that it will be soluble and absorbable when it reaches the small intestine. If it is not made soluble, less of it will be absorbed into the body.

According to the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS, the reason for low stomach acid production in CFS is glutathione depletion in the parietal cells of the stomach, which normally pump acid into the stomach. Glutathione depletion allows the buildup of oxidizing free radicals in these cells, and they put a partial block into the Krebs cycle, which lowers the rate of production of ATP. ATP in turn is what powers the ion pumps that pump acid into the stomach.

According to this hypothesis, the longterm solution to this problem is to correct the partial block in the methylation cycle, which will allow glutathione to rise to normal and hopefully restore normal stomach acid production.

There is a lab test panel available from Vitamin Diagnostics that will tell a person whether they have glutathione depletion and a methylation cycle block. If these are present, there is a treatment called the simplified treatment approach that is designed to correct these problems. You can find detailed information about it in my post of July 18, 2007.

Rich
  15. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i personally dont have cfs but thanks for the info it could help someone who struggles with low ferritin hugs charlene