Ferriton Levels

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by code34me, May 12, 2006.

1. code34me

code34me New Member

I am not sure I splelled that right (ferriton) but it is close. I was talking to my doc about my restless legs getting so much worse latley and I thought I needed to change my meds. She said that low iron can cause RLS also and wanted to check my Ferriton levels (iron).

I did not know that when they ran regular blood test that this was not included? She called me 2 days later and said that my iron level was extreamly low and wanted to start me on iron therapy for 2 months.

I then looked up low iron levels on internet and it said alo about fatigue. I have felt very, very, very tired since I had my son 3 years ago. I almost had a transfusion after I had him and I think I have been anemic since!

I am feeling much better engergy wise! I also changed from Cymbalta to Lexapro doc thought Cymbalta was contributing to being so groggy.

It has been a couple of weeks since this has happend and I feel an improvement that I have not felt in a very long time! I just want to share the iron testing info with you just incase someone did not know about it. You are all so educated I am sure most know but mabey there are a few who could benefit from this??? Who knows?

I am taking 325mg of iron twice a day for 2 months to get my level back up to where it should be.

Take care of you! Codey
  2. code34me

code34me New Member

justa bumpin
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I also have low ferritin, and have had to have IV iron twice. For some reason my body does not absorb iron well. I even had a bone marrow biopsy and it showed scant iron. I see a hematologist for this.

My H & H are always fine which is interesting to me, you can ask for an iron panel, it includes total iron binding, and a few other specific things. Ferritin is not in usual blood work, so you have to have it specifically requested.

Hope this helps,

Warmly,
    Maggie