Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SICKim514, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

I have CFS and mild FM. I was diagnosed with CFS after months of unexplained fevers a few years back. Because of it, when I get sick with a virus or bacterial infection, I REALLY get sick. So I came down with what I thought was a cold over the weekend but quickly realized it was more than that. I had a fever of 101 for about 2 days. I went to my doctor on monday and he prescribed the z-pak. I took my first one monday, so today (thurday) will be 4 days into it. On monday night, my fever finally broke and I started feeling better. I stayed home from work (I'm an RN) on monday and went back to work yesterday (wednesday). I was fine all day except for a cough, which is because I have bronchitis and a sinus infection. This morning at about 2am I woke up with the chills and muscle aches. I took my temp and it was 99.6. Not a big deal...so I popped a couple Ibuprofen. About an hour later I felt even worse...took my temp again and it was 101, and it's not breaking. I just don't understand how I'm on the antibiotic yet I'm getting worse again. I've been taking it as prescribed (1 pill/day for 5 days).

My question is...is it possible that it's a reaction from the antibiotic? I've heard of people on antivirals and other meds getting worse before they get better. Does this apply to antibiotics as well, as my system tries to flush out the infection? Any advice would be appreciated. I have to be at work for a 12-hour shift in 2 hours, and I feel like garbage. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take another day off, and I'm already on corrective action for too many absences. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm constantly getting sick. Some may say it's because I'm a new mom again (I have an 8-year old and a 6 1/2 month old baby). However, even before the baby was born, I was always this way. Even before I ever had kids I was always this way. My immune system just sucks, and that's all there is to it. My 8-year old son gets sick WAY less than I do...even when he was a baby. My daughter, however, has had quite a few colds in her 6 months of life. I think my son takes after DH and my daughter takes after me. Poor girl...she's doomed!