Fever of 102, sudden onset, gone quickly, anyone ever have this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by libra55, Dec 10, 2004.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

The other night I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden without warning, I got a horrible chill all through my body. Within 15 minutes I was shaking uncontrollably. This was just out of the blue. I put the thermometer in my mouth and my temperature was 102.

I also had abdominal cramps (like the kind you get with diarrhea) but I did not have any diarrhea. I almost felt like I would have a seizure. I took a very hot shower and curled up in bed, thinking that I was getting some kind of flu.

Within two hours my symptoms were completely gone! It was the strangest thing. My two little Welsh Corgis sat with me the whole time. Animals seem to know when we don't feel well.

I was diagnosed with FM in 2000 and I think I have CFS too, and I have run a low temperature from time to time, but I've never had anything like what happened to me this time.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Good thoughts,
    Michelle
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Michelle,

Sorry I can't offer any help for your situation, but I noticed you have two Corgi's. I have one, I just got him last year, and he is so comforting to me when I am so sick. I am pretty much housebound now and if it weren't for him, I would go insane.

Corgi's are so much fun and so loveable. He really seems to understand when I am very ill. Anyway, I'm sure you love your's as much as I love mine. How old are yours? Does he/she sleep upside down with his feet in the air? It is so cute seeing him sleep like that..=) Hope you feel better soon.
  3. dghoover

dghoover New Member

Hi Michelle,

I have a low grade fever all the time, but 3 to 4 times a month it goes up passed a 101 stays there for a few hours then goes back down. I talked to my doctors about this and they still can't tell me why this happens. I noticed when it goes up that I'm in more pain and I get a miagrain headache. I was Dx with FM in 2000, I also have Lupus.

Gentle (((Hugs)))

Debra
  4. toadgoddess

toadgoddess New Member

I, too have constant low grade fevers and they do get up to 102 a couple times a month, as well. Usually its like you said where its just for a few (miserable) hours. I also hae very low temps (94-95). My thermometer is broken!

I have just lived with this for so long with no answers, I don't know what to tell you. It's been happening since a month after my hysterectomy in 1999.

blessings,
    amy
  5. ranger

ranger New Member

Several times now, in our 16 years of marriage...he has come home shaking with chills and burning up at 101,102 and thereabouts. He'd go to bed, sleep, take Motrin or Tylenol and by morning, he was fine.

It is weird. Seems like not even twenty-four hours of being sick. No other symptoms.

He rarely gets sick, (which irks me who is always c/o something-Fibro)...He's taken like 1 sick day in his life and that was for a vasectomy.

So, you are not alone.

Andi
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

Thanks all for your responses. I guess it is quite common to have this happen for no reason, but I will mention it next time I see my doctor. Normally my temp runs on the low side.

Suz, my corgi's are a 6 year old female and 4 year old male and yes they do sleep with the feet up in the air just like you describe! They also lay on their stomachs and stretch their little short legs out in back of them. Does yours do that? How old is your corgi? They just get cuter all the time.

Debra, interesting you should mention lupus because I have had some crossover symptoms of lupus from time to time and been tested and then some, but told I don't have lupus. I am very frustrated with that as well because sometimes I feel so very ill and I wonder if I have something more than FM.

(()Hugs))))again to everyone who answered.

Michelle
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Michelle,

Yeah, mine stretches his little legs out behind him when he lays on his stomach..So cute. There legs are so tiny. Mine is named Blaze and he will be 2 in March on St Pattys day. I just love him to death. He has such a fun personality. I was watching animal planet and they were describing corgis as party animals and some of them as worriers, mine is kind of a worrier at times.

He does make me feel better when I am really sick. Only thing is, he won't just lay on my lap, I have to be petting him the entire time. If I stop for a second, he gets mad and wants more. Spoiled I guess. =)
  8. catlin

catlin New Member

can be out of whack. This could also mean that you do have an inflammatory condition that is just starting up. If it is something other than fm, you will know it in time. A month or two usually does the trick... I hope it is just the malfunctioning of your body temp control.
  9. Chazz8879

Chazz8879 Member

I know this is a bit of a delayed response, but this has happened to me as well. 3 times in the last couple of years to be exact. Tonight was the 3rd time. I got the rotating hot flashes and chills. My head and face were burning while I had chill bumps on my arms and legs. The fever started only a few hours ago and now its almost gone. The 2 time this has happened to me before, the fever never came back... I'm predicting this one won't either, but I wont know for sure until tomorrow evening as symptoms can return in that amount of time. I'd like to think I have some kind of anti-viral gift in my immune system that could help people. If this happens a fourth time I will see about getting my blood tested...
    P.S. I have no other known existing conditions like FM, etc, but this was the first place I saw something similar to what happened to me and thought I would respond.