Fever with normal temp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mrs. B, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

Hello,

I have felt for the past few weeks as if I have a very high temperature. I have been taking my temp regular and found that it is usually low and when I feel miserably hot is is just around normal. I have posted a similar question before and know that several of you have a normally low temp. My questions are: What is causing me to feel so feverish most of the day (and have a normal temp.) and What can I do about it. My thyroid tested in the normal range and my doctor seems unconcerned even though I mentioned it to her. I would appreciate anyone's comments that have any idea.

Lisa
  2. zestytx

zestytx New Member

I've been feeling the same way for a few days. I do know that hormone imbalances can cause that feeling.. even in young women. And I am getting on up there at 48 and figure that is part of what is going on with me..
  3. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I am 35 yrs. old and asked my doc if it could be premenepause and she said no. Not sure if I believe her though. Maybe after more feedback on here.

Lisa
  4. Dee33K

Dee33K New Member

This seems to be a pretty regular occurance for me right now, too. I freeze in my office as well. I am in about the end of the first full year of knowing of my fibro. How about you? The more reading I have done, this kind of goes along with it. Almost feel like a constant state of flu-type symptoms. At least you "feel" feverish. I use my cold hands to cool down the girls in my office cause they are "hot", LOL.
    Dee
  5. patchwork

patchwork New Member

From what I have read it seems to be something to do with the Hypothalamus (in the brain) being affected by whatever causes this illness.One of the Hypothalamuses functions is temperature control and it seems that it goes haywire and sends us the wrong messages regarding out temperature. Ifeel like I have a really high fever at night, but when I take my temp its below normal. It seems there's not a lot you can do! Like all the other symptoms!
    Love Patchwork
  6. JQP

JQP New Member

Lisa

I have yet to find my cause, but know that wheat exaserpates the problem, as does the tiniest sip of alcohol. Use that one to advantage, cos when cold instant heat! Also don't need so much heating in winter these days!!

Don't think we will ever find reason, or cure, but I follow the guidelines of hot flashes and wear natural fibres which helps make it more bearable in summer, even though I know it is not hormonal. Really is one of things have to adjust to.

Sorry can't be more inspiring.

Jacqui
  7. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Mrs B - is your doc a gynecologist? If she's not, I wouldn't believe her either. If she is, well I still might have doubts. :) Someone (not a doc) threw the "maybe you have perimenopause" thing at me, but at that time I was having irregular periods. Check out the book "The Change Before the Change" by Laura E. Corio, MD. Many of the symptoms do sound like CFS. However, I think the first symptom of perimenopause is irregular periods. Since I had CFS symptoms for 3 years before my periods became irregular, I know that wasn't the cause.

As for the rest of you (us), I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought I was just, not crazy, but something, when I feel hot and the temp's normal! (I think before I got sick, my normal temp was 97.6. Now it's 98.6 which actually says something, but I'm not sure what.) I regularly switch between t-shirts and sweatshirts and tank tops throughout the day--hard to do if you're working....
  8. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Hi Mrs. B.,

I'm not buying into the change of life thing. I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago and the hot flashes and sweating were completely controlled by Premarin.

I believe someone else said it here,,,,something is wrong with our thermostats. It's 80 out right now and I'm sitting here with shorts, tank top, and wool socks.

However, most of the time I just feel warmer than anyone else around me. I prefer my house temperature be kept in the 50's. I constantly feel like I have a fever since I became ill with CFS/FM, but, my temp is normal.

Best of luck to you. Tulip
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or just our body's inability to produce energy in the mitochondria. These little energy cells often are only able to produce heat instead of energy, so we feel tired and hot.

Love, Mikie
  10. devanier

devanier New Member

WELL, IT,S GOOD TO HEAR AM NOT ALONE WITH THIS IT'S BEEN A PUZZLE TO ME WHAT IS GOING ON.EVEN MY BOYFRIEND,NOTICED IT.HE WOULD SAY WHY DO YOU FEEL LIKE AN OVEN,I LOVE HUGGING YOU.I KNOW WHEN YOUR FEELING BAD,WITH FIBRO BECAUSE YOU CAN FEEL THE HEAT RISING FROM YOU.BUT YOU SAY I DON'T HAVE A FEVER.SO HE JUST GIVE ME A HUG ANYWAY!OOCH I LOVE HUGGING YOU EVEN MORE DURING WINTER MTHS.I'M HAPPY THAT HE CAN FEEL WHAT I FEEL THRU A HUG.
  11. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I've been reading Dr. Johm Lee's book "Premenopause" and he says that you can stop ovulating as early as your thirties and that can cause hormone inbalances. Fantastic book and interesting concept. Wish I had known about estrogen dominance since...well, since I was born. Although I heard from some others on the board that his progesterone treatment didn't work for them reading his book was like reading my life. I fully intend to have all of my hormones checked and treat any imbalances with supplements and diet.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  12. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I now have a plan of action: I'm going to wear shorts, t-shirts, wool socks and gloves and keep my thermostat at 50 degrees... oh, I will watch my wheat intake too.

I know that sounds like I'm being sarcastic but, that really is my plan since I've done everything I know I guess I'll just learn to live with it and check with my gyn when my regular appt comes up in a month or two.

Thank you all for your responses. Stay cool. haha

Lisa