few flu comments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Apr 29, 2009.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Guess I can skip any vacations in Mexico, of course. (Though I suppose the choice could be between traveling to a wonderful beach vacation and then dying, or just staying at home and dying a boring death.)

The masks that have too large of pore sizes to stop flu viruses are probably still useful in that they prevent absent mindly touching fingers to the face. And maybe some viruses stuck to larger particles might be stopped.

In purely logical reasoning, it would probably be wise to visit New York City and catch the mild form of the flu that seems to be there. Get immunity before it possibly mutates into a more virulent form, maybe this Fall.

I guess the 1918 flu started in the Spring, sort of died out, then came back severly in the Fall.

Suppose that there will be a race between developing enough flu vaccine before starts a full pandemic.

As for being prepared for an epidemic here..........we certainly have received enough memos to fight most anything in theory. The laboratory gets memos like: Please collect and send duplicate specimens to us.
    Our question is just exactly how are we supposed to collect specimens when only have twenty collection tubes? Please send us collection tubes.

We have received some nice flow charts, except that we don't have the equipment to perform step one in the flow chart. I wish we had equipment for PCR testing or a -76 degree F. freezer, but somehow they got left out of our 10 bed hospital budget.

Oh, well. Most of the flu laboratory testing is mainly for documentation purposes, and won't affect treatment of patients. We have a simple test for flu A and Flu B, and that should work for practical purposes.

Cheers, your Mr Bill

Oh, I did get a super duper face mask a couple of days ago, but I gave it to person flying to Mexico in three days. Sometimes I'm just too nice. Guess I can get another one.

Too bad, in a way, that smoking banned in airplanes. At least you could see and smell the bad air. Nowadays, the airlines save a lot of money on air filters, but seems everyone gets a cold two days after flying.
    -------------------------------
    A MUCH BETTER idea than going to New York and yourself catching mild flu:

Send a friend, with a compatible blood type to your own, to New York to get the flu and immunity. Then, if you get sick, just get a transfusion from your willing friend and passively acquire immunity. Hmmm, if he doesn't have any big plans for a few weeks, maybe he could spare a few extra pints to sell on Internet. Or would that be unethical? lol

(Ummm, maybe don't try this at home. There are better ways at your local blood bank that would give safer and higher yields of immune Gamma Globulin, though I don't think it is done in USA. Unless you are a Howard Hughes type.)

[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/29/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2009]
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

It is really getting scary, there are cases in Kansas, New York, Indiana and Texas now with I believe 1 death in Texas.

I have never really paid much attention to these things, but for some reason this one really scares me. My daughter that goes to college in Columbia knows a bunch of kids that went on spring break to Mexico and she works in a hospital so i am really worried about her. She is coming home for the summer in about a week and i can't wait.

Mr. Bill, i agree with Cate take care of your self, which i am sure you are.

We all need to pray that that the vaccine that they are trying to come up with will take a lot less than 6 months.

Mickey
  3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

It is really getting scary, there are cases in Kansas, New York, Indiana and Texas now with I believe 1 death in Texas.

I have never really paid much attention to these things, but for some reason this one really scares me. My daughter that goes to college in Columbia knows a bunch of kids that went on spring break to Mexico and she works in a hospital so i am really worried about her. She is coming home for the summer in about a week and i can't wait.

Mr. Bill, i agree with Cate take care of your self, which i am sure you are.

We all need to pray that that the vaccine that they are trying to come up with will take a lot less than 6 months.

Mickey
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

We just had a reported swine flu case in our county in Arizona and the school had to be closed. So they went on the news yesterday and told us that if we have flu don't go to the doctor and instead stay home--(obviously then they won't have to count us as swine flu cases and it will look good for their state statistics of cases). If you don't go to the doctor then you won't get the test to find out if you have swine flu or not and you won't get the Tamiflu that they are stockpiling for flu victims. WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING HERE??

We get a lot of illegals coming over the border fences from Mexico so there was talk on TV about more patrolling at the border so strictly enforce keeping illegals out right now as they may have the beginning of really bad swine flu, but officials are saying no extra patrolling as we don't have to worry about that. But then they are telling us if we have flu, to not go to the doctor and stay home. The police are constantly finding drop houses in Phoenix were they are hiding illegals brought across the border and it can be 50 illegal people in the houses at one time. It's dangerous and this is how the more dangerous swine flu will arrive here because the people who bring them won't care if they are sick, only if they pay the money to get here.

5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Wow twocatdoctor, I would be furious too. Well if they don't want you to go to the doctor, I would just go the the ER, that would probably be better anyway. Yes, i don't understand how the illegals can get into our country that easily. It is horrible.

Good luck and stay inside as much as possible.

Mickey
  6. therealmadscientist

A Licensed California Scientist, (me), has said that cigarette smoke kills flu viruses Dead!

Reports are that serious discusions are underway in California among scientists (me and a co-worker:)about a program to encourage smoking in crowded public places.

Would you believe that I'm applying for several million dollar grants from the Tobacco Institute? Of course, I need a little money up front, so will be asking for donations for a Better America Committee. lol cheers, mr Bill
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2009]
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

mr. bloomberg kept raising the price of a pac o'butts so that now the cost 9.25 (thaqt's a bargain) a pac...what is that deartrulymadscientistmrbill? .50 cent per loosey?
    we were smokin reservation cigarretes at 5.00 per but bloomberg threatened to find out who was ordering and force us to pay back taxes the state was losing (millions)...in the end, i quit and now find out if i still sm oked i wouldnt die from flu, but lung cancer was a surer bet.

the way i feel, either one would suit me fine. dearreallytrulymadscientistmr.bill you can come to nyc, bring a mountain lion and a your bike, bloomberg took away our cigs and laid out bike lanes on the streets. biden said he wouldnt let his family ride the subways and after seeing people spitting onto the tracks, picking their snouts, flu is the least of it...and gawd the overload of tourists, its like they all have a sign on their foreheads as they carry multiple shoppig bags from stores many new yorkers cant afford to shop in now.

trulymadlyveryscientificmr.bill, stop by to see if you've stopped by, but the lack of O in here leaves me gasping for open air or considering sticking my head under H2O and just overwhelmed with work...exhaustion, writing...watch your Bunsen burners so your tubular bells dont bust.

sincerelyD
  8. therealmadscientist

Hitting the ole ambien early again, eh?! Didoe, thank you for reminding me to plant the tobacco seeds again. Perhaps plant in a combination light box/green house in New York. Sounds like soon NY will soon have nicotine based drug gangs soon. Nico gangs instead of Narco gangs?

Thankyou for the invite.......maybe I can pay for ticket by bringing cigarretes from the local Nevada Indian reservation.

I need to look at map, but I think the Sierras stretch from Oregon to somewhere south of Acapoca(sp?). Does dating Lauren Bacall count as knowing Humphrey Bogart? She's still going strong I think.
    And you already know that they found the Treasure of the Sierras! If they hadn't found treasure, then there wouldn't have been a reason for Humphrey to get all crazy.

Meanwhile about the same here. A lot of rain here at moment, so maybe California will be spared desertification for another year.

You are welcome to visit out here, of course. Unfortunately, I don't think that the airline people would understand that my mountain lion is an allowable service pet, even if I offered to pay for the extra seat. Mountain lions are great for keeping away dogs. Somehow, I don't the two boo's would understand about a pet mountain lion just being friendly.

Meanwhile, wasn't there a movie, "Escape from New York" or was it "Escape from Los Angeles"? Altitude about 4 thousand feet here, but fairly good air except when the forests are burning. Cheers, your verytruly Mr Bill

Oh, What does "put a lime in the coconut" mean I wonder. And who was Paul Bundy I also wonder. So many questions.
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 05/02/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2009]
  9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

ambien has nothing to do w prev post dearreallymadlyscientificallycheerymr.bill...lime in da cocoanut, if it gets hot here again, that's a good idea
    lauren bacall avoided botox, aged, wrinkled but still a leather throated Lady.
    there isnt any escape from NY, The Bronx is (still) Burning tho...

both boo's wouldnt be thrilled but short & fatty would be thrillled. i havent told anyone yet, but i'm thinking of actually buying him a stroller--a leash and walking is too dangerous because of the slobs around here and their broken beer bottles, wood shards and nails. but i think once he goes out, he wont want to stay in.

so i read that michelleO was wearing $500 sneakers while feeding the homeless/hungry, life is so ironic, aint it? a buncha oxymoronics everywhere ya go.