FFC Costs........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Oct 4, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I hope no one thinks I being nosy or rude, but I am desperate for an idea of what this is costing "US".

I was hoping that some people who have been going to the FFC centers across the US could give me a little help. I have an appt this week and hubby has just decided that this is too much $$!! UUGGHGHGH!!

Anyway, I know everyone takes different supps., gets different shots, diff IV's etc., etc.,.....Can you give me an idea of what your first two visits(the most expensive) cost you including all of the xtras (supps, shots, iv's, etc.). I know this will vary greatly, but would still appreciate some figures to go by.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. I know $$ can be a sensitive area. Any help would be greatly appreciated so we can get some funds together in preperation for a rough estimate.

Thanks a bunch!
    JEn

Also how much approx over a 6 month period.
  2. MKlady

MKlady New Member

The ultimate cost depends on what your insurance will cover. The first two FFC visits are $365 each. This is paid cash, check or charge. I expect my insurance company to pay about 1/3.

Blood tests are $2000-$3000 depending on what tests are run - but lab (Quest) will your insurance directly and only bill you for the allowable remainder. In my case it's about $138 for one test that was not covered at all. If you don't have insurance, I would negotiate directly with Quest for a cash discount.

Supplements are available through the center, but many (not all) are available directly either through Pro Health or Rite Care or another web source for about 20-30% less (factoring in shipping costs).

Prescription costs depend on your insurance and what it will cover. Mine covers all my regular RX but I haven't submitted the compounding pharmacy bill yet, so I don't know about that.

FFC has a payment plan that some people are using - either 6 months or 1 year. I don't know much about it, but you can ask FFC staff.

As I start my second month on FFC treatment, I can report that I am feeling much more energetic today and yesterday -I may pay for my overactivity today with a down day tomorrow, but I hope not - I've got tickets for the Angels/Yankees game tomorrow night!

The best thing to do is talk to your insurance company and see what they will pay. And do a search for FFC on this board, print out the posts from those who are feeling better after six months and show them to your husband. It's worth it, even though it will take time.

Good luck!

3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I've been to the Seattle FFC twice so far. I've posted the details of each visit, including costs. I think the different offices around the country must have different charges. My first two visits were $325. They both lasted over an hour with the doctor and were worth every penny.

Try searching for FFC threads and you will get a good idea of what the costs are. Also, each person's treatment varies by what they need.

I think they also have some kind of loan program, too, but you would need to ask the office about it.

Good Luck!

Francie
  4. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

The appointment itself: The FFC in LA charges $395 (first visit is more than elsewhere I think) for the first two visits, which is really not as outrageous as it seems, as they spend well over an hour with you. This will depend on your insurance. My insurance will not cover any of the office visits, since FFC is out of network. After two appointments, you will have a really good idea of what they will plan on trying with you. I would also suggest be very prepared to ask questions about what else they plan on doing in your protocal, in case you have another doctor who would be willing to work with you to try these things.

The supplements: I have found all of these supplements on line for much cheaper by doing on-line searches. So, you can just tell them you would like the info on what the supplement is and to check to see if you can get better prices elsewhere.

IV's and injections: These are only through FFC. Others seem to like the b12 special that they give, but I tried it twice and didn't notice any help, so I don't get them. These are expensive, as the IV's run $100 and the shots are $34 or a treatment of 5 for $120. (Note, these prices might be lower outside of LA).

Hormores through compounding pharmacy: This will depend on the type of insurance that you have. Mine only covered some of the items, so I pay about $50 a month for T3/T4 and nystatin.

Medications: Again depends on insurance. My covers most with a co-pay of $25; but Lunesta, for example is not covered but Amibien is, so while I like Lunesta better, it is very expensive ($98/mo), so I usually use Ambien.

Blood tests: I am still hoping the insurance will cover all of this. I have submitted it to the insurance company and have not heard back yet. Total costs of labs was about $2200. But they will also tell you what tests you need so that you can order your test through your PCP to ensure that they are covered by your insurance.

I hope you are able to work this out.
    Hugs, Maggy
  5. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

....to those of you that replied. I really appreciate advice and the info and will do a couple of searches to see if I can find any more info. As of right now (we talked again) I am planning on keeping my appt this week.

I want so badly to feel better.....I know you all understand that all too well.

Thanks again!
    Jen
  6. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I have been going to the FFC in Los Angeles. I have a HMO, so my insurance is not paying for anything. The one thing that I have been doing is, Dr. Whightman is writing the order for my blood work, I then take that order to my reg. Dr. She then copies it on her blood order sheet which I take to the Lab. That way my blood work is covered. Something that you maybe able to do if your insurance doesn't cover your blood work.

I have not added up what I have spent so far but I think the prices that everyone else gave you is close to what I have paid also.

I also have gotten most of the suppliments on line for allot less expensive than what the ffc charges. I will only get the exact same brand as they like for you to use at the FFC.

I am lucky that my drug policy is seperate from my medical insuance. So far they have covered all my perscriptions including the hormones from the compounding pharmacy.

The one thing my DH complained about was that the phone visits are the same price as going in person. But we both decided that the money was worth it if it got me to a point where I could go back to work. And I have gone from making no money what so ever to working part time from home and making $1000.00 a month. So I look at it as an investment. I will get a return for my money.

Let us know how it goes
    Cathy