FFC doctor or a Rheumy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aldejavu79, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. aldejavu79

    aldejavu79 New Member

    I am amazed at how much the ffc costs, and i am guessing that insurance doesn't pay for the initial visit? I have keystone east insurance, and not alot of money- out of work for 2 weeks. I almost think that i should go to a rheumy where my insurance covers it and costs only $25 for a visit. Hmmmm decisions decisions....I need to figure what is wrong with me, because i DO NOT trust my pcp anymore hence she prescibed me 100mg of amitriptyline for a new diagonosis of fibro. Ugh anymore...any other 26 year olds out there like this....

  2. Shelbyeatenton

    Shelbyeatenton New Member

    Hey Allison,

    I'm 24 but my situation is different to yours as i live in UK. Just wanted to say that my Rheumatologist diagnosed my FM and been very good with my follow up and on going care so far. I am due to start at a pain clinic very soon. However i know there are specialised FM clinics or doctors in the UK which i am looking into just to see if they can offer me any more!

    I just wanted to say that i had had a good experience with a rheumatologist but the final decision can really only come down to what you can afford and what you feel is going to be the best thing to do for your health.

    Hmmm.... Not really sure if that helped now, sorry. :-/

    Best wishes,

  3. ldbgcoleman

    ldbgcoleman New Member

    I go to the FFc in Atlanta and I am much better! That said here is my opinion. You can be treated by the FFC or a Rheumy. The key is to find a Dr who listens to you and looks for the root cause of your Fm or CFS and treats that. Not just the symptoms.

    At the FFC You will get relief formn the symptoms then extensive testng for the underlying cause. You will recieve very individualized treatmentr tailored specifically to your set of problems and they will not stop until they figure out what is wrong with you and what works for you. You can work with any Dr the same way if they are open minded but you will have to bring the info to them and they will have to be willing to work with you.

    I decided to try the FFC because the Rheumy was only giving me a sleep pill and an antidepressant and not really trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

    There are many here who have gotten help from open minded Drs. try searching on Mikie or Elsa to start.

    Good Luck! Lynn
  4. voiceteacher

    voiceteacher New Member

    am 26 years old as well and I see a rheumy that is working pretty well for me. The number of visits required by the FFC and the cost is just too much at this point in my life, and I feel that the insurance should cover a medical condition especially if you are seeing a specialist. Why the FFC is not considered a specialist visit concerns me.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  5. intrigue

    intrigue New Member

    Fibro hit me like a bus when I was 28. One day I was fine ... the next I felt like a 60 year old.

    I spent three years going to my PCP and two rheumy's. The Rheumy's only solutions were sleeping pills, pain pills and stretching. I just didn't see where this was going to help figure out what happened to me. I just wasn't ready to give up my life.

    I am 32 (today is my birthday) .... and I go to the FFC in Dallas. Yes it is expensive. My insurance covers it "out of network" which means they pay 60% after my deductible.

    I only wish I had gone there sooner. I am five monthes into treatment, and I am feeling more like myself than I have in over a year. I wasted two years with rheumy who could not help me.

    So ... if you can find the right doctor on your insurance to help you ... by all means do it. Just don't waste too much time if you don't feel good about him/her.

    Good luck!
  6. ldbgcoleman

    ldbgcoleman New Member

    My insurance alos pays 60 % and I file myself and get reimbursed. Lots of Drs are opting out of filing insurance not just the FFC's.L