FFC tomorrow...very nervous...HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Jun 7, 2006.

1. namow

namow New Member

I don't know why but I'm so stressed out about my first app. at FFC. I'm scared of them getting so much blood out at once and afraid of fainting or something like that.
    Maybe is becasue I have tried so many things before and they haven't really work, I don't know, all I know is that I am ready to pee my pants (sorry)
  2. intrigue

intrigue New Member

First, take a deep breath....

I was really nervous on my first visit as well. It is intimidating and a little scary. Fear not. The clinics are super relaxed and everyone is very reassuring.

I didn't do very well with the initial blood letting. I'm a huge baby when it comes to needles, and I did nearly pass out. But thats me .. and most other people don't have problems. You can ask for an ice pack or something to drink which can help alot of you are starting to feel faint.

It will be over pretty quickly, and think about all the wonderful information you'll be getting back about your body. While nothing in life is a guarantee, think of it as the first step down the path to a better existence!

Good luck!
  3. namow

namow New Member

Those are very nice words and you are right, I have to think about it in a more positive way.

Big hug
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

The blood work is really not as bad as it sounds. They will probably need to stick both arms but it goes really fast. I just don't look at all I totally look away. The tubes are filled up before you know it. The lady who does it is very nice in Atlanta and she does it all day long and is very gentle. Just tell the person you are nervous and they should be understanding. She talks to me the whole time about her grandaughter. I noticed the picture on her desk my first time there and asked about her and her talking distracted me and made it go faster.

When it's over they will take you back to a room with big recliners and give you a snack and a drink of juice. You can stay as long as you need to.

The whole thing sounds alot worse than it actually turned out to be. ( I am the worlds biggest wienie!) If you have any questions at all about anything please post them and I will be happy to answer anything I can! Take Care and good luck Lynn
  5. namow

namow New Member

It is so nice of you to offer support at this time.

I'm not afraid of the needles or even looking at the blood coming out, it's the amount!!!! I hope I won't faint...can you tell that I am the biggest chicken in this world???LOL
  6. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Actually it is less than a pint which is what they take when you give blood so it's not as bad as it sounds! I don't think you will faint. keep us posted on how it goes when you feel like it. hopefully this time next year you will be feeling as good as I am! Check my profile for a picture of what I am up to. Lynn
  7. namow

namow New Member

I saw your picture and I felt so happy for you...hopefully I will be doing something like that next year YEHAW!
  8. jane32

jane32 New Member

Drink tons and tons of water..even when they are taking the blood.

I split my appts. into two sesstions they say some split it up to four!

You will be fine-just get exctied for the results!
  9. namow

namow New Member

That would be great because that is what bothers me the most, the rest I can take it!!!
    WOW I'm getting courageous...he he
  10. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Giving the blood was OK. And I hate having blood taken! I think what helped me was that I drank a LOT of water, and the phlebotomist was so very nice, she really put me at ease. She talked with me, encouraged me about the steps I was taking to get well, etc., and before I knew it, we were done.

I think it's best to have these tests done right away, because then the doctor has a much more complete picture of your situation and can make a better assessment, diagnosis, and more complete treatment plan to get started with.

Good luck, hope all goes great for you.
    Hopeful4
  11. namow

namow New Member

I will let you know how it goes!!!
  12. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hi,

I have just recently started going to FFC, and was also petrified about the blood tests! I pass out at getting one vial of blood drawn, and I knew for FFC they'd take alot.

Like the other posters said it really wasn't bad at all. No pain, and the amount they take is LESS than what they would take when someone donates blood. (I would never donate blood - it's scary,and plus I'd pity the poor soul who'd get my screwed up blood!)

Things that help prevent passing out-- lying down, in stead of sitting up during the test, and not looking at needle or vials.

I am glad I went and got all the testing because some stuff actually showed up, for a change!!

How sad is that-- that I was happy to finally get some abnormal test results??

Good Luck,
    BigMama2

13. jane32

jane32 New Member

just bumping to see how you made out?

Did they tell you they take more after the initial...they do an infectious panel afterwards but not nearly as much as you just had done. I didn't want to tell you before!!!