FFCer's...Are you taking the Cortisol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Jan 8, 2006.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

If you're taking the cortisol from the compounding pharmacy, how does it make you feel?

I just started it this morning and am wondering what to expect? Good? Bad? Side effects?

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Neither cortisol (which I'm taking now) nor licorice and adrenal cortical extract drops (which I've taken in the past) are things which have ever caused a 'I'm HERE!' reaction in me. I really haven't noticed any obvious side effects at all. I know I need one or the other, so I take them. Since I take so much other stuff too, it's hard to separate out the different treatments' effects.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Not an FFC patient but I take 10mgs compounded cortisol every AM. I too haven't found an "I'm here" reaction when taking it, but I notice it's absence when I don't take it. It goes hand in hand with T3 for me.

Life is good when I take both (at seperate times though ... 30 minutes apart) and life is not so good when I take T3 only. Found this out when I skipped a couple days over Christmas .... bad planning on my part, etc.

I do feel it is helping to balance out that upside-down cortisol production many of us have. You know, the lowest amount being produced in the AM and the highest being produced in the PM preventing us from being able to sleep.

With my cortisol am treatment, my nights are more level, I don't feel like I am wide awake or superwoman wishing I could feel this way when I wake up.

I'm sleeping much better since starting treatment. Cortisol more balanced. I also take GH injections and after two months I have started acting like a normal person where the wake / sleep cycle is concerned. For the last ten days or so I haven't taken my sleep medication at all .... and falling asleep around 10-11pm.

I think cortisol does it's thing behind the scenes. It is not one of those "attention grabber" tx, but you'll notice things getting better.

Many studies done on the safety of this treament done at levels of 20mgs or lower for long term. Many people have concerns about it, so that's why I brought it up. You can google Dr. Teitlebaum for more info on this.

He has conducted peer reveiwed studies concerning this. The way cortisol got it's bad name was many years ago during a study a much larger dose was used, producing the side effects we have heard about ie prednisone.

Hope this helps. It's cost is reasonable so I think it's worth it to continue treatment.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi Meow, since I am pretty sensitive to quite a few meds. I started with 5mg. at first and built it up to 10mg. now.
    It has helped with energy. I felt a little wired at first on the tens but now I feel ok. It helps a bit with pain also.

Laura