Fibrinogen Levels (higher) Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jaminhealth, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I just got my 2nd part of this years labs....My MD did a lot of tests she has never
    done before....Fibrinogen is one of them....I see there are other posts but thought
    I'd make a new one.....increase Olive Oil, Vit C, Omega 3's are reported to help
    lower Fibrinogen....that is what this link says anyway. On my labs optimum range
    is 100-390, my level came in at 503...

https://expertnutrition.com/cms/what-is-fibrinogen/‎

Anyone else working on this Fibrinogen, with success.... thanks all. jam
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Jamin - Google Ken Lassesen. He has CFS and believes that his is caused by high levels of Fibrinogen. Several times he has been able to go into remission through diet, supplements, and I believe prescription Heparin. What does your doctor recommend?
  3. jaminhealth

TL, I have NOT talked to her since I just got the 2nd half of my labs....she
    did some sophisticated lab work that she has never done before....wonder if
    medicare will even pay....I'll deal with that whenever...

I will probably see her in Nov as I'm so not excited about going back in, was just
    there twice for annual and then bloodwork reading...but this 2nd group of
    tests was not back....grrrrrrrrrr so another visit.

In the meantime, I'm going to take the 3 supps I mentioned above, faithfully.
    I've been lax on omega 3's for one thing.....

I sometimes hear Dr. Bob Marshall on Saturdays and he has so much good info
    to offer....he's associated with Cure A doctors and there is one in santa monica....
    They do mud packing on areas of body where constriction is going on....I sure
    have that on my hip surgery site....my thigh is so sore and numb....so I'm thinking
    more about doing the mudpacking and MAYBE that would open things up....

A vicious cycle....
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Jam - I'm glad your doctor ordered that test. I read that fish oil is also good for helping to lower fibrinogen. If you do a search on this board, you'll find posts about how some enzymes have helped people with high fibrinogen. I know it's a pain to keep going back to the doctor, but this is important information. Someone posted that once they got their high fibrinogen under control, most of their symptoms disappeared. So this might help a lot with your pain.

Mine was tested several years ago and was not high. I don't have any pain or FM symptoms so that makes sense I think -

Mary
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Mary, Ken Lassesen has CFS and when he got his fibrinogen levels down to normal, he went into remission and stayed that way for several years. He has gone through this three times now, but each time has been able to go back into remission and live a normal life.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Jamin, it is important that you talk with your doctor about having the higher fibrinogen levels as it leaves you at a much higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke. Not something that you want to take lightly. :eek:
  7. jaminhealth

This "big" new test the MD did is pretty comprehensive...

This Fibrnogen test is in the group called: Inflammation/Oxidation.

CRP is in there too and my # came in 1.8, optimal range is 1.0...so I KNOW
    I've got the inflammation thing going on for a long time and for me all has
    gotten worse since hip surgery....I know a broken record, but always in the
    forefront of my mind/BODY as it changed so much for me.

Each year my MD does an EKG on my annual visit and ordered these tests
    this time. I will go in soon (again) to discuss this...every time I go in to
    see her which is about once per year now, pain talk is a major talk coming
    out of my mouth.

But NO groin pain since hip surgery.....so it did one thing good...

Mary, good that you don't have all the pain stuff, I know your stuff is bad enough
    in your life...

Thanks for your all good support....jam
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Tigerlilea - I wish that was my problem, high fibrinogen, because it's so easily fixable. But my fibrinogen is not high, so that is not the cause of my "post-exertional malaise" (crashing, delayed onset exhaustion, etc.)

My CRP was also very low.

We don't have a homogenous definition of CFS. I'm wondering if Ken Lassesen had the same thing I do. The only thing I've read that has helped with crashing is a mercury detox.

Mary
  9. jaminhealth

Many here have talked about the lumps and bumps under their skin, and
    I have my share and I'm thinking this is Fibrin build up...the link I posted
    explains a lot and hope you can open it...it took a bit of doing but I got it
    opened.....
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Sorry, Mary, I misread your previous message. I thought that you were implying that fibrinogen would only apply to FM, not CFS.
  11. freeter

freeter Member

Thanks for the info I didn't know that but I always took fish oil all my adult life.
  12. jaminhealth

Interesting on the Fish Oil and I've taken them for a lot of years but back off and tried Krill Oil for a couple months and then out of everything now, I have to order some.... A good friend claims she gets more muscle/joint pain on these oils....so made we wonder????? So I would back off based on her reports, I know she does NOT have the muscle/joint pains I deal with, but we all have our "own" share of pains.

I'm taking 1-2T Olive Oil per day NOW from others suggestions....
  13. deepak

deepak Member

Jamin,

Boluoke is the best supplement to tackle high fibrinogen - Second best is Nattokinase - Boluoke is much more expensive and potent than nattokinase but nattokinase also does a good job.

Deepak
  14. jaminhealth

Thanks Deepak, I take so many supps and natto is one I don't believe I've taken....I'm going broke....but I'll consider Natto....jam
  15. jaminhealth

Well, I now take NattoMax by Jarrow..100mg Natto Extract and 2000FU of Nattokinase per capsule and dose says 1 per day....I muscle test for up to 3 per day.....So for now, I will go with 1 per day.

Maybe Deepak or someone else knows a general dosing amount. Thanks anyone. jam
  16. IanH

IanH Active Member

How are your vitamin K2 levels? The whole purpose of taking Natto is to raise K2 levels and reduce cardiovascular risk. If you take vitamin D in excess of 1000IU then you must take adequate amounts of K2.
  17. jaminhealth

Ian, I have no clue what my K2 levels are, I take 8-10K D3 daily and wonder how much K2 I should be taking. Right now I only take 45-90mcg K2 daily. Is the ratio 1000 IU D3 and 45mcg...if that's the case I need to take 300mcg+ of K2.... Maybe I need to send my MD an email. jam

Oh just checking online and Mercola says 100-300mcg per day with D3 and to eat green leafy veggies and natto.....not only for cardio but for bone health....

This is from ProHealth's K2 product and they suggest 100mcg per day.

Promote your overall health with the most biologically active form of vitamin K supplement. Even if you take a calcium supplement, your body may not be able to take advantage of its benefits. Recent research has found that vitamin K-2 supplement is a key factor in regulating calcium in the body, ensuring better bone and arterial health, supporting calcium metabolism in vascular structures, promoting normal blood clotting, and providing important bone health benefits.
    This supplement supports the formation of a healthy, strong bone matrix, helps protect against osteoporosis, and can help in the treatment of bone loss. This supplement has a formula that contains alfalfa, nature's own rich source of vitamin K.
    • Increase calcium metabolism for heart and bone health
    • Help keep osteoporosis and bone loss at bay with this supplement
    • Promote normal blood clotting*
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. IanH

IanH Active Member

fibrinogen levels can be elevated by depleted K2. However I do not know of your personal circumstances and your Dr. would advise you.
    Ideally you should take a mixed vitamin K supplement with K 1 plus K2 as MK4 and as MK7. The MK7 comes from Natto.
    The dose is controversial. The National Academy of Sciences originally set the AI (adequate intake) to be around 100mcg for women. However this is for a healthy person. Some illnesses will require a higher dose and as I said If you take higher doses of vitamin D3 then it should be accompanied by more vitamin K.

I work on 95 mcg +an extra 30mcg for every 1000IU vitamin D3. So in your case taking 8000IU vitamin D3 daily you would want around 350 mcg mixed vitamin K. This is especially so if the person carries extra weight because serum levels are lowered by extra body fat as with vitamin D.

Hope this helps you evaluate your position re fibrinogen levels.
  19. jaminhealth

I found one "mixed" Vit K supplement, there are NOT that many I see so far....I sent my MD an email and hopefully she will address this Fibrinogen issue next week....I'm so tired of running to doctors....
    Thanks for your help. jam
  20. deepak

deepak Member

From my extensive reading on K2- I believe that MK4 is the safest and most effective form for arterial calcifications - the Vit K2 liquid from Thorne or the butter oil capsules from Green pastures.

Re Natto - I wrote to the japanese companies who are pioneers in it and they said 2000 FU is good for mantainence but 4000 FU for therapy - caveat is to be careful if you taking other blood thinners