Fibro, almost symptom free for 3 years... now a major flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Esoteric, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. Esoteric

    Esoteric New Member

    For three years I've hardly had a fibro symptom thanks to 30 mg of Nortriptyline at bedtime. No flares, just occasional stiffness after a long drive or when I had the flu.

    This past week I painted my bathroom and an hour after I finished, my back started aching. My symptom progressed quickly and soon my entire back, my hips and knees were all aching. By the next morning, I had tears running down my cheeks because the pain was so bad. I had to go to the hospital emergency for a shot of demerol.

    I'm taking a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory for four days and my symptoms are starting to ease up. Mornings are the worst with pain and stiffness throughout my body and it takes a good two hours to subside to a more manageable level.

    What I'm wondering is whether anyone else has long periods of time with little or no symptoms and then "SURPRISE," you find yourself in a major flare?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. ulala

    ulala New Member

    in the second sentnece of your post:

    I PAINTED my bathroom and an hour after I finished....

    To me it sounds like the paint made you sick. If you were not in a well ventilated space, and you were breathing the fumes from the paint you may be very chemically sensitive.

    I was using professional strength Tilex several weeks ago and ended up in the emergecy room. I felt like all of my air and life were being sucked out of me. When I told them what I was doing and then felt like I was going to die they immediately focused on the Tilex.

    Do you have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity?
  3. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    Yes, I had 4 really good years between my first horrible flare of 9 months of being bedridden. Went up to take a nap after going out for lunch on Mother's Day and didn't see my downstairs for 9 long months...

    Then in July of 04 this flare started and at the moment I'm having a hard time seeing through to the end of it. Just as I seem to get better, something else happens to put me right back down again.

    Hoping for a rosier picture soon!!


    Nancy B
  4. bewell4

    bewell4 New Member

    sorry to be pushing myself into this conversation..i have had fibro for 4 years, no relief...i am desperate** to know if/what i can do to end this! so, in response to you know what caused your 'remission'???!! also: esoteric- how long did you have fibro before the symptoms subsided? thank you! take care, everyone.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  5. California31

    California31 New Member

    Out of the blue...have my suspicions...(building was infused with termite erradication gel in all the window frames....some months ago....) Hope your flare will dissipate soon.
  6. Esoteric

    Esoteric New Member

    I appreciate the information very much.

    I was diagnosed with FM in 2001, but had my first major flare in December 1994. At that time we didn't know what was wrong with me and the doctor I saw said it was a bad flu that left me stiff, sore, and with very little mobility.

    Thinking back, I was not without symptoms but one gets so used to hurting all the time, it becomes "normal." In 2001 I had two major flares, one in August and one in September; I was diagnosed with FM in October 2001.

    Once I started taking nortriptyline at bedtime, my major symptoms went away. This is the first large scale flare I've had, since starting the bedtime medication.

    The mystery of this disease is quite extraordinary since specific medications work for some and not for others. In my own experience, I know that I've spent my entire life not sleeping very much, even as a child.

    The paint fumes could very well have triggered my flare.

    Thanks for the input...

  7. mujuer

    mujuer New Member

    Thank you for sharing that info. with all of us. This is a great site not only for help with answers but for compassion. I know I am more sensative to smells and chemicals. When you were pain free did you also do similar activities like painting. That would be quite stenuous for most of us but were you able to do other strenous work while pain free? Thank you so much for the info on going to the hospital. I just posted a message wondering if others had went to the emergency room for relief. What did you tell them when you got there? Did you tell them you had fibro?

    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  8. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    At the time of my remission it was a combination of things that helped me get better. (after 9 months of being totally bedridden)

    I was put on Feldene which helped me a bunch, then added a med for my ulcer so I could continue to use it. I went back on caffeine, I'd been off of it for years.

    It was gradual though, very slow....

    Then a few months later, I found out my Mom was having heart surgery and I felt the need to be there no matter what. I pushed myself to the limit that summer, but I needed to do it, both for her and myself. (and I wouldn't have traded that time with her for anything in the world)

    I remember often taking an Excedrin for Migraine just for energy. Since I'd been off of caffeine for so many years, it really gave me a gentle boost each time I took one. And at the time I drank gallons of Pepsi too for a boost.

    Just remembered a few more things. When I went back home to take care of my Mom, I controlled the temp in the bedroom instead of sleeping in the room chilled like a refrigerator like my husband likes it. That made a difference!

    Also being away from home allowed me to sleep through the night. His job would call him an average of 8 times a night and we both woke up for that. Not good for a person with Fibro.

    Other than that, I have no idea how I got better but I did. I had to watch myself carefully and rest often but eventually found the 'new me'....capable of doing less than I used to but still lived a full life for the 4 years I was given before the next major flare.

    I had an almost remission in April of 06 after I quit smoking and began buying great supplements from here at Pro Health. I had about 40% of my old self back but it allowed me to grocery shop, do laundry, go to lunch and even shopping sometimes until I got kicked in the arse again this past November and now I'm right back down to a big whopping ZERO again, struggling through each day and lucky to even get a shower.

    It seems that with this 2 1/2 year flare that I keep adding illnesses to the list. I became hypothyroid last Nov/Dec and the meds for that may have contributed to my almost remission in the spring.

    Now this year I'm borderline diabetic and from my (German) lab results, it looks like I now have Autoimmune Thyroiditis to add to the list. It's always something that keeps knocking me back down to nothing....and yes, I'm getting tired of it.

    I'm planning to quit smoking again soon, I don't feel like I'm giving myself a true chance to get better while I'm still smoking again and maybe that will help some again.

    I still need to find a good doc on base to help me through this. My doc of almost 4 years left in Dec and now it's trial and error to find one I can work with. They seem to prefer seeing healthy people and I'm just not one of them.

    My life is stressfull and always will be. My daughter (20) is mentally ill and my husband tested pos for EBV and Lyme although no one has done anything to help him. I have him on a supplemental protocol for the Lyme and he was doing better until we ran out of supps in Dec due to lost mail.

    So we're all sick here and just trying to get through the days doing the best that we can. Daughter also has FM on top of everything else too.

    Anyway, I'm not sure if this helped you. I have learned a lot on this board, more than any doc has ever done to help me.


    Nancy B

[ advertisement ]