Fibro and alzheimer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Oct 29, 2002.

1. namow

namow New Member

I have a lot o troble with my memory, some doctors say it is because of klonopin (clonazepam) others because I am "depressed".
    Can anyone tell me if having fibro leads to alzheimer?
    Or any experiences with your memory taking klonopin??
    How do you know what is causing the problem??
    Thanks!
  2. namow

namow New Member

I have a lot o troble with my memory, some doctors say it is because of klonopin (clonazepam) others because I am "depressed".
    Can anyone tell me if having fibro leads to alzheimer?
    Or any experiences with your memory taking klonopin??
    How do you know what is causing the problem??
    Thanks!
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

that...Fibro and CFS in themselves, are responsible, for the cognitive problems. Certainly meds, can also be a contributing factor. The greatest known risk for contracting alzheimers is advancing age. Early onset (prior to age 65)--Alzheimers is quite rare. As many as 10% of 65 yr. olds may have alzheimers, and 50% of persons 85 and older.
    Karen
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I must find the abstract I copied where researchers have proven in controlled tests that FMS patients have petit mal seizures on and off day in and day out; some more than others. This research was done to try to link the connection beween the effectiveness of neurotin and other neuroleptics on certain FMS patients.

Okay. I am one of those who did respond to neurotin. Unfortunately I could not afford the rheumy who made out my first treatment plan, which included the neurotin, so I have been taking that beginning dose now for what...err 3-years. I can tell you it made a difference for me. I spoke this week with my primary and told him I would deliver the abstract for his perusal and consider raising the neurotin; I presently take 300mgs. four times a day. (1200mgs./24hrs.

My cognitive ability varies. Some days I "think" I am close to normal and some days I can't find my butt with both hands; I constantly hear from my daughter that I did this or that and I find it almost unbelievable. We are at the mercy of what people tell us we said or did!

I was looking up memory and was shocked, truly shocked, how many different types of memory there is....I have a new respect for those who learn and retain such a massive amount of information. CactusLil'
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't always take my Klonopin during the daytime, only when sensory overload is a problem. I notice no difference in cognitive abilities with or without the Klonopin. Also, I had these cognitive problems waaaaay before starting the Klonopin, so I don't think it contributes to them.

Love, Mikie
  6. namow

namow New Member

Thank you so much for your replies. It is wonderful to know that people DO care
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

In his article on Klonopin, Cheney - I believe, my memory isn't so good ;-) - says that klonopin has been shown to delay the onset of alzheimers. Just thought this an interesting detail in the context of your question.

I also had memory problems way before taking Klonopin, and can't say they've got worse since I'm taking it.

Susanne