Fibro and antibiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bessie, Sep 26, 2002.

1. bessie

bessie New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with taking antibiotics.I had my fibro symptoms pretty much under control untill after a run in with an respiratory infection. The Dr. put me on one antibiotic that did't help then another two kinds that got rid of the infection but put me almost flat in bed,also with yeast infection.I had to end up taking a leave of abence from work(in fact my employer kind of suggested rather firmly that I needed to) just to try to get myself strightened up and able to function again.Once I started taking a Lactobacillus acidophilus suppliment I found myself gaining strength and the yeast infections are gone.Just wanted to know if someone else has this problem.Still in a fog and all this spelling is driving me nuts.Thanks
  2. bessie

bessie New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with taking antibiotics.I had my fibro symptoms pretty much under control untill after a run in with an respiratory infection. The Dr. put me on one antibiotic that did't help then another two kinds that got rid of the infection but put me almost flat in bed,also with yeast infection.I had to end up taking a leave of abence from work(in fact my employer kind of suggested rather firmly that I needed to) just to try to get myself strightened up and able to function again.Once I started taking a Lactobacillus acidophilus suppliment I found myself gaining strength and the yeast infections are gone.Just wanted to know if someone else has this problem.Still in a fog and all this spelling is driving me nuts.Thanks
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Lots of folks get yeast infections when on antibiotics. We FMSers seem even more prone to it. I always take acidopholous, every day for over 20 yrs. but it still happens. When taking antibiotics, it may not be enough to take Probiotics, so I avoid taking antibiotics as much as possible. But, if I absolutely have to take them, I INSIST on a prescription for Nystatin also, which is the safest antifungual, to run at least 2 weeks further beyond the end of the antibiotic prescription. That will protect you from this debilitation by killing the yeastie beasties that go wild when the antibiotics kill the good bacteria that normally keeps them in check.
    Klutzo
  4. dlizard

dlizard New Member

off and on.... I've been failing(! OLD WORD) since last july fairly consistently... well consistently enough not to work .. how's that LOL>>>>> anyway, I get the bad yeast from my mouth to the other end everytime I take any antibiotics... about half of my problems are treatment related LOL>>>> most docs I have contact with know much less than I do... I'm an RN with an interest.... so I read alot and happend to understand what I read so I challenge them and they don';t like it... but I get this yeast and it will stop you cold honey! It takes me about a week's worth of diflucan and no sugar,bread,white flour, acidic foods and in about a month or so I'm back up but never again normal LOL>>> what is that anyway>>>????? :) I had surgery yesterday for throat polyps ( second time since july of 01 ) and feel gross and here's something else... everytime I have surgery I get the pesky yeast bumps on some part of my mouth be it tongue or lip or throat itself.... yeast is an ENORMOUS problem that few docs will try to deal with! Good luck!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

No one should be on antibiotic therapy without taking probiotics, yet, docs never tell people this. In fact, anyone older than about 35 should take them every day to prevent leaky gut, a potentially dangerous situation.

Love, Mikie