fibro and caffeine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jan 7, 2007.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone depend on caffeine to make it through the day? I have to have caffeine in the morning to get me going. Why is caffeine to be avoided for fibromyalgia patients?

Thanks
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Hi Krissy like you I have to have my coffee in the morning and have now made it up to 2 pots before noon. I have however switched from full strength to half and half. I also drink diet Mt. Dew during the day. Now the reason the docs say we should stay away from caffeine is because if you have a hard time falling asleep at night or staying asleep at night coffee only makes it worse. Right now even with the caffeine I take a nap in the afternoon and go to bed around 10:30 and sleep. Not always the best sleep but with the meds I'm on it helps with or without caffeine. Hope this explanation helps a little. Only just woke up so haven't even had a full cup of coffee yet. lol......SueF
  3. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

I don't have any trouble falling asleep so I guess I'm OK with a little bit of caffeine in me throughout the day.
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Caffeine cause me to have more frequent heart palpitations, and anxiety, also worsens my PMS difficulties.

I do not beleive caffeine is good for us with Fibro/CFS symptoms, also hard on are adrenal system that's already messed up.

I've switched to a natural decaff/ coffee that i mix with a herbal coffee (roasted barely/ and carob with other flavors, low acid)

Between the two together i'm getting a great coffee flavor without the caffeine.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Caffiene is actually hard on the adrenals and increases anxiety/sweating and more.

BUT! I too can't get started without my coffee. I've tried to eliminate it completely and haven't been able to yet. I have cut the caffiene in half by drinking a half-caff cup. I drink about 2 cups in the morning.

Sofi
  6. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I never went anywhere without a Mountain Dew is my hand but after seeing it was causing most of my migraines I had to stop. I haven't had one in over 3 years now.

I still get daily headaches and have since a young child but caffeine made my migraines too frequent.

Also beverages that say "caffeine free" are not, If the product does not contain over 5 percent caffeine the makers are not required to list it.

However there are some beverages that are truly caffeine free like sprite, 7up, Ginger Ale and there are a few others but not many.

Hugs,
    Carolin