Fibro and cold sores

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Deebra34, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Deebra34

Deebra34 New Member

Lately whenever I get a bad fibro bout I end up getting a cold sore on the outside corner of my mouth, does this happen to anyone else?
  2. shazz

shazz New Member

I think getting run down brings out the cold sores.
    When you very first feel it coming, put ice on it. Hold it on there as long as you can, it drives the virus right back down under the skin.
    But you have to catch it BEFORE it erupts, when you first feel that tingly, itchy sensation. If you miss that, I found that Abreva works pretty well to heal them up quickly.
  3. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

I have had in mouth and out of mouth. Mine on inner will appear when the stress gets OOC.usually the outside ,in wonderful winter months when DD use to take over.I still get them in winter,DD is in charge since cold sore Feb 02.I asked my DRs (even when insured and dealing w/ones that could read)they all had an explaination that satiated me at the time. The more i learn here i re question HHV6.Good luck! I which I only had 1 question! LOL :) Peace, Ez
  4. Deebra34

Deebra34 New Member

I'm new here..what is OCC, DD, HHV6? And thanks to those who replied I feel better knowing I'm not alone. And questions, I have tons!! LOL
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

HHV-6 is the Human Herpes Virus 6 which is a virus in the Herpes family. Cold sores are also caused by a Herpes Family Virus. Herpes Family Viruses never go away; they go into a latent stage. When we get stressed or run down, Herpes Family Viruses can reactivate causing cold sores, shingles, or flu-like illness.

DD stands for darned or damned disease. DD is often used to refer to our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  6. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Just venturing a guess on OOC...(out of control?)
    I too get a cold sore when flaring in the cold months. Always on the rt. corner of mouth.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This hurts like the dickens when you first apply the ice, but it helps kill off the active virus locally and greatly shortens the outbreak. I got some Zovirax cream which I rub on them and then ice them up. Some never even break open but just form a small bump which goes away.

Love, Mikie
  8. Deebra34

Deebra34 New Member

Now I'm wondering if I have a herpes type virus in my system and not fibro, since the onset of symptoms are the same, but then there are times I get bad fibro attacks w/o cold sores. Damn I'm so confused

Dee
  9. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Don't think I've ever tried the ice. Anyway, forget most of the topical ointments; or maybe they will work for you. I've found most of them just soothe the area but the blister just keeps growing and growing and then it looks ugly and HURTS.

But I found something a couple years ago that works! Even if you don't catch it immediately it works! (So, if you miss the stage where you have to use ice, try it.) It's Morgan's Lysine Lip Balm. Your pharmacy may already carry it or maybe it can order it.
  10. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

Yes. Out Of Control. :) Ez