Fibro and Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kasilou, Feb 12, 2006.

1. kasilou

kasilou New Member

Does anyone take this? My Dr has wanted me to try it and I've been hesitant but I'm at my wits end. Would appreciate any personal feedback.
    Thanks
  2. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I started to take cymbalta last June and I love it! It has helped with fibro fog and I seem to be up and around more frequently. I would go for it, I think you may get some positive results with it. GOOD LUCK!!

PIRT
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I was taking Celexa before taking Cymbalta, for over 2 years, and the doc told me that she heard "good things" about Cymbalta and FMS. I should have asked her to elaborate on that. She tapered me off Celexa and at the same time tapered me on Cymbalta. My migraines decreased almost immediately.

On the other hand, I’ve felt more "foggy", more moody, and can't say that it's helped the pain any better than the Celexa. I decided to go off the Cymbalta. First "cold turkey." Well, I had the worst time - I ached all over, had the worse migraine, and just wanted to sleep! Started back on Cymbalta and decided to go with lowering dose gradually by dumping a portion of the capsule's contents. This was also a miserable thing. My symptoms only started back up but more mild.

So, I'm on Cymbalta - I will talk with the doctor about going back to Celexa and let her know what I've experience. Each person experiences medication differently; I've seen from posts that some have had good experiences. I'm just sharing mine with you. You have to make up your own mind.

Another thing; I would consider staying off of any type of SSRI unless you have a real problem with depression. They do "hook" you, and it's just one more pill that you have to take. I know that the medical profession sees antidepressants as a method to decrease pain. Especially with FMS. This is my suggestion, but listen to your doctor.

Jeannette
  4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I was on cymbalta and it seemed to work well. Then it stopped being effective after the dr increased the dose. Instead of lowering the dose he switched me to lyrica.(weaning properly) Well lyrica has done nothing for my pain. I am much more achey and in a great deal of pain.

My experience would be low dose of cymbalta works good.

best of luck Linds
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i just started cymbalta a couple days ago.
    i've been taking it at night so i'm not too tired during the day, because it does make you drowsy.
    i'm on it both for pain and depression from FM.
    yesterday was the first day after i'd taken it,
    and i was horribly ill all day...
    but i did just stop a short prednisone regimen for a migraine spell,
    so we're not sure if it was the cymbalta or being off of the prednisone that made me sick.
    today i'm A LOT better though,
    and my migraine's been better than it has all week.
    i'm assuming this is from the cymbalta,
    and i've only been on it two days,
    so it might be worth a try :0]
  6. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have been on it for 2 months. It has stopped joint pain and slowed nerve pain for me. I've hardly used my cane since I've been taking it. I am on as high dose. I read where soemone responded they required a low dose. I would recommend it. If it works as well for you then you will feel some relief.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Cymbalta is great! It has really helped me and my pain level for fibro. I also take Neurotin which is equally as great!! LOL

I've had no side effects from either.
  8. shep

shep New Member

Everyone is different as you can read in these post.

I have been on Cymbalta for 6 months. I started on 30 mg, then went to 60 after a month, the next month, to 90 and so on till I reached 120mg.

I love it and thank God for it everday. I also was put on Mobic for arthritis at the same time and I think it is a great combination for someone who has depression and arthritis both.

Although when I reached 120 mg, I started to have some heart palpations which caused me some anxiety. I told my doctor and she moved me back to 60, then back to 80 and I am now at 100 and doing well.

I am more alert and more up and about the house instead of wanting to stay in bed all day. The only side effect I have experienced (except being on a too high dosage) is weight gain. I have always had a weight problem and I have gained about 20 pounds ....but will gladly live with it or take it off ..now that I am not so depressed and actually do care about myself for the first time in 10 yrs. rather than live with all the darkness and hopelessnes I was existing in.

You will just have to decide if you want to try it for yourself. If you do ..go slow on the dosage and give it time. Keep a journal of your feeling and don't go looking for things that aren't there..obsessing with every thought and feeling. I am prone to do that. When I started it I had heard too much about it to really be objectable about it and listened and hunting things to find out wrong with it. But, with the encouragement of my doctor I hung in there. We had tried everything else on the market.

I hope you good results. I just felt what have I got to loose; I can always go back to the Lexapro I was on which did nothing but waste my money.

Love to u,
    Shep
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i gained 25 lbs in no time....could sleep when i needed to, azonked me out in th morning...and profuse sweating the areas of th unkown to me....i was really moody, depression was worse...no help with my pain..caused myoclonic jerking....higher the dose the more it happpened

i just started vivactil, it seems to be helpig with some of my pain but i still am notice the depressiom is here and axiety///sso i may need to call dr's and see what they say,,,,

i have not gained weith on this either

joie
  10. HAPPYDOGSUZ7777

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

Aloha,
    My thoughts about ssri,or any of those type of drugs are that if the doctors don't know really why they work or really what they do then we really don't know what they are going to do to use.I've been on prozac,celexa,cymbalta
    for about 5 years now, cymbalta for about 2.
    The one thing I know is I did'nt have FMS before I went on the ssri drugs.I was also diognosed with celiac disease so anyway back to the cymbalta, Now they are saying it can damage your liver so I am tapering off it I am going slow from 60mg 4months ago down now to 10mg I don't notice a change in my pain so I want to get all the way off it!!!
    It will be interesting to see what I feel like with No meds in me I still take pain meds in morning and flexrill at night. Next I am going to try weaning off those.