Fibro and Dental work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsaddenedspirit, Mar 15, 2009.

1. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I had some dental work done about a week ago... had to have a tooth pulled.. of course it got infected right away and I have been in such a flare since... seems every time my dentist just looks at me I get infected.
    it really throws me in the most awful flare ever takes about two weeks to even start to feel better.... I work full time still from home .. thank God for that .
    just wondering if others have this problem with dental work. ? I had a friend that said one of her close friends with Fibro wont even have his teeth cleaned without starting Antibiotics first for a full 5 days .

anybody else go through this ?

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I actually haven't been through what you're experiencing, but I have incredibly sensitive teeth and it seems like I always have it worse than "normal" people. =)
    I've had toothaches where I could not even drink water. Had to hold a towel over my tooth - try that - not easy. SCREAMING pain. Obviously a root canal was needed.

I really think we're more sensitive to all that kind of stuff - or it seems that way from reading all of people's experiences.

I'm sorry you're in such pain!! Hope you're finding some relief...somehow!
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I don't get infections at the dentist. But I also have very sensitive teeth and have
    decided that the next time I get my teeth clean I"m taking a pain pill before I go!

I've always had a low pain tolerance but it's even more so now that I have fibro.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  4. tut90

tut90 Member

I can't remember the book, but I read where a doctor advices that when a person with Fibro goes to the dentist, to tell the dentist not to lower your head too much because it could cause a flare. I have to make an appointment, but I'm a bit scared wondering if I'm going to get worst.

Hope you start feeling better.

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I had two teeth pulled and went thru this with both. First one the messed up the nerve running up my face and it took two rounds of antiboitics still is not ok.

2nd one went better dentist didnt use the long acting shot with epherine in it butttttttttweek later back in his office with pain not healing. He said sometimes when they pull a tooth a bone fragment or calcium build up can happen and trys to work it self out. Also another round of antibiotics!
    still not ok after a couple of months.

I hate dental work. want to pull all but now afraid to do that plus they dont want to. either way big bucks.
  6. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I have had everything done from root canals, implants, a bridge and veneers. I recently had some work done and for the first time ever, i got an infection and had to take antibiotics. Same dentist for all of the work. I also noticed that once the fibro started, the novocaine doesnt last as long and he needs to give me more during the procedures.

7. painfreesoon

painfreesoon New Member

trauma? I had a root canal 8 yrs. ago, and it has bothered me since. the last 2 yrs. it swells around the tooth for a week or so then goes away. I went to my dentist, and he couldn't find anything wrong.

the problem is my neck is so sensitive, that evn my P.T. can put me in bed for weeks if she is too rough with me.

I don't bother saying I have FM, because most dentists and doctors alike just think of overall muscle sorness or pain. Thjey have NO idea how bad my neck is.

I tried acupuncture and I ended up in bed for 2 weeks, the needle wouldn't go in my muscles were so tight. i was told, it wouldn't work, I'm too severe a case.

i thought of calling a head and neck trauma place, but no ones seem's to know anything.

None of my docotr's or dentist can help.

Anyone else have this problem? have you found a way to have dental work done.

Oh yes, I also would like to try laser root canal, i thought it would be done faster and w/o the vibration of the drill.

Thanks for ANY help. I really need to get this fixed, but I'm scared I'll end up bedridden again( I get continuous vertigo and feel whiplashed, w/migraines, it's really bad).

8. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Thank you every body that responded... :)
    Yes I think they way i had to have my neck also was a real probelm , I have had to sleep sitting up for two weeks now,my neck and back are in a sever flare still . still taking the Antibiotics . but it is finally starting to heal .. I am so scared to go back and have more work done . I need a Root canal next :(
    This darn Fibro really makes everything so much worse .
    you ever feel like you are dying ? I have never been to the emergency room , as I really don't think they could do anything . but have thought of it seveal times. the pain killers I have Perc 750/325 just don;t work that great when I add in anything else like dental work ..
    I have to do the root canal before it gets infected again . I'm just so darn scared now. since I found Out I have Fibro every time I see the dentist it takes weeks unpon weeks to heal. and the pain . nothing touches it .
    I Thank every body for discussing this with me . helps to know It's not just me . but what are we to do ?
    Take care all... prayers for a good day . and group hugs . soft hugs that is . :)