fibro and fatigue centers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wendyo, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wendyo

wendyo New Member

which fibro and fatigue centers are the best and why and what tests do they run?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2009]
  2. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Goodness, that is a broad question.

I can't say which is best since I have only been to one, the one in Atlanta. Overall, I had a good experience. But it is an FFC center, so it is run like that. But I liked my doctor and the other one there I have heard positive comments on her.

Tests? Well, every test you can imagine. I highly recommend their tests, even if you don't go for any or all of their treatments.

Tina
  3. wendyo

wendyo New Member

LOL guess it is broad
    I was trying to post that and it kept not posting so I kept making it shorter as I get more impatient to rewrite it all.

Since people say they arent all the same I would like to consider going to one of the best ones just to get tests, not sure I would follow their recommendations. Do they take any sorts of ins. and how much does it cost just to get evaluation?
  4. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

No, they do not file insurance. You must pay them and then you must file a claim yourself.

Tina
  5. nixon

nixon New Member

No, they don't take ins., you can pay up front, and hope that your ins. MIGHT reimburse you a little! I spent THOUSANDS at the Las Vegas clinic, and I wouldn't advise anyone to go there. ( Other than maybe for the blood tests) I've tried showing my results to other docs. they just basically brush me off! The FFC are VERY expensive!!
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

You'll have a hard time convincing any doctor to run all of the tests the FFC routinely runs. Get your results and run. Their IVs are only a temporary fix. The supplements can be purchased online for way less.

The Detroit FFC doctor misdiagnosed my Lyme disease and missed it in at least 15 people that I know of. Most of these people have gone on to recover their lives too! Had we listened to this doctor and kept going back for IV after IV that never would have happened.
  7. nixon

nixon New Member

My first appointment there cost around $700.00, that was before they even started all of the bloodwork. I had 28 vials of blood drawn in one sitting, started with left arm (until it ran out!) then finished w/ right arm!! I also wouldn't recommend the IVs .....I had one it cost $125.00 and I didn't think it helped at all! Good Luck in your venture!
  8. wendyo

wendyo New Member

well nixon and munch etc
    what tests did you get?
    I don't like the idea of all that blood work, but would be interested in ruling out or in a bunch of stuff like lymes or CpN etc
  9. nixon

nixon New Member

I guess there was TOO MUCH Info! I'll try again....In June probably my 2nd appt. Tests: CBC with Differential Platelet which included19 items. Comp Metabolic Panel (14) which included 16 items. Immunoglobin G Qn Serum, CBG with FREE Cortisol, Iron & Folates. Heavy Metal Profile (Lead,Arsenic,Mercury) , Triiodothyronine Reverse which included: Testosterone Free & Total, Thyroxine (T4) Free Direct S,Homocysteine Plasma, Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha, Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme, DHEA-Sulfate, FSH Serum, C-Reactive Protein Cardiac, Angiotensin II, Luteinizing Hormone, Pregnolone, Insulin-Like Growth Factor I, Hemoglobin Alc, Estradiol, TSH, Aldosterone, ACTH,
  10. nixon

nixon New Member

Fibrinogen Activity, Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO), Antithyroglobulin Ab, Progesterone, Triiodothyronine Free Serum, Sex Horm Binding Glob, Ferritin, Lipoprotein, Insulin(fasting) and Vitamin B12. In August they tested ffor Comprehensive Parasitology (stoolx3) which included: Bacteriology Culture, Mycology Culture, & Parasitology/Microscopy (TRICHROME STAIN & CONCENTRATION) Then in August they did more tests for LYME, Western Blot- Lyme AB IGG: P93,66,58,45,41,39,30,28,23,18. VIRUSES: Coxsackie A AntibodyCF types: 2,4,7,9,10,16. Coxsackie B Virus Group 1 thru 6. EBV Acute Infection Antibodies (4 tests) will continue on another page!! LOL!!
  11. nixon

nixon New Member

E.chaffeenis-HME (Monocytic), Parvovirus B19 Human IgG/IgM, Babesia microti Antibody Panel, Mycoplasma pneumonia IgG Ab, Chlamydia pneumoniae IgM, Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Ab IgM, Herpes Simplex Virus I/II IgG, HSV IgM Combination, Mycloplasma pneumoniae IgM Abs, HHV-6 IgG Antibodies Quant, Upper Respiratory Culture.
    Then in OCT. tests again CBC/with Differential/Platelet, Comp. Metabolic Panel, HHV-6 Igm, and Chlamydia Antibodies IgG. I believe that was all the blood tests and stool test!! Pretty through huh?? For the 1st appt. you fill out a 24 pg. questionnaire, bring pertenant medical records.
  12. nixon

nixon New Member

to answer them. I went there from June'06 thru Jan'07.....then I just couldn't afford it any longer. There was a point where they had me taking about 60 pills a day. That included supplements and prescription drugs. Oh and compounded meds. (HORMONES) Phew, I'm wore out after all this....LOL, gotta get off the computer for a while! Take Care, Andrea
  13. wendyo

wendyo New Member

wow, thanks
    so what did you learn?
    have you found that other physicians wouldnt respect at least some of that info?
    is there a way to just do all the testing but slide out of working with them after that, easily?
  14. nixon

nixon New Member

Hi, I haven't forgot about you, I've just been in ALOT of pain......I will update you with more interesting info later this evening, I'm gonna rest a while, and(try to) enjoy the nascar race with my hubby.
    Andrea.....going on less than 10 hrs of sleep in the past 3 days ACCKK!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2009]
  15. nixon

nixon New Member

Have you contacted them for a starter pack? That explains how they operate. In a nutshell: #1. Stabilize the patient- Pain & Sleep disturbances are addressed. Meaning=they prescribe sleep,pain,& try to put you on antideps.(Also try to make you buy a BUNCH of supplements)
    #2. Mitochondrial Enhancement= try to push more supplements & make you try the IVs, {I only did 1 IV} at this appt. is usually when they'll start taking blood, like I mentioned this 1st draw was 28 vials of blood!!
    #3.Balance your hormones=thyroid,cortisol,DHEA,testosterone,estradiol,
    etc!!(This is where the compounding pharmacy comes into play) #4.Blood testing for infectious components=Lyme,& all viruses, bacterial
    infections. Stool testing for Parasites & Yeast, try to improve your immunity=more prescript.meds & IVs. #5. Address Unique Etiologies=
    more supplements& IVs. ETC!! #6. Maintenance=try to keep you coming back to line there pockets with $$$$$ (HA) I'll continue another msg.
  16. nixon

nixon New Member

5 viruses I wasn't aware that I had, total of 7 in all!!! They put you on anti viral Valcyte (I had a bad reaction & couldn't take it very long at all!!
    They had me on 5 meds from the compounding pharmacy- not really sure that they helped at all.....about 20 supplements, and tried alot of prescription meds, even an Alzeheimer med(Namenda) for memory & fibro fog!! Even though I have insurance for prescriptions...Co Pays add up!! Alot of the meds were a TOTAL waste of $$. Even after ALL of the blood tests (which I was happy to get & Ins. covered MOST of that) Thank-goodness or it would be thousands of $$ just for the blood tests!
    They really didn't address everything like I WOULD'VE liked... I'd say they are best at PAIN control, not shy about giving scripts for that stuff where as alot of Drs. make you feel bad,guilty for asking for those things. I went there for 8 mnths. but it cost a FORTUNE, still in debt over it!!! I'll continue another msg........
  17. nixon

nixon New Member

maybe more?? Drs. trying to get them to help me with the blood test results, & keep me comfortable w/meds. ( My FMS is & has been from day 1- Pretty Severe) I had several try to refer me to Psychiatrists, or just completely dismiss me as a hypochondriac!! So- most physicians didn't want to look at there test results. (Even calling the FFC a "sham")

It takes probably 4-5 appts. to get through all the testing, and they push HARD to make you try the IVs, and supplements out the wazoo!! So, basically I feel some of it was beneficial, but to me ALOT of it was a big waste of $$$$$. Maybe other clinics could be better, but I wouldn't advise anyone to go to the Las Vegas clinic. My main reason for going was = I was at wits end....couldn't get pain relief, was ready to end it all, was just recently married at the time, So hubby pushed me to try them. A funny thing, you would think that your "loved ones-family" would want to learn all they could, but it really hasn't happened for me. I was always on the go, workaholic, never depressed, until FMS hit me, then it ALL changed. Now I'm depressed,anxious..don't sleep well(usually)and my pain is out of control again, it really sucks!! I hope my info has enlightened you. Where do you live, is there a FFC near you?
  18. wendyo

wendyo New Member

I am in midwest, so guess that would be detroit they have one, but don't know all the locations.
    At the end of the day , was worth it for what you found out?
  19. nixon

nixon New Member

because NO other dr. that I've found yet has been able to help me with my test results.......I'm thinking of seeking out a new Dr. I had an upsetting appt. this past Friday with the lady I've been seeing for the past year! It's nice to know the viruses that I do & don't have, but I need HELP with trying to get better. Not just meds to barely get me by! So.....that's questionable with all the$$$$$$$ spent to find out! I can't think of all the locations right at the moment, but I'm sure there's a current list on the internet. Good Luck with whatever you may decide! Andrea