Fibro and fatigue centers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paver1960, Feb 9, 2010.

1. paver1960

paver1960 New Member

Hi all,

I've been going to a local FFC (near Cleveland) for about 4 years and except for maybe the first 6 months, I've always gone in just a few times each year for blood work but they do prescribe my thryoid meds.

Anyways, I go in today and am told I have to sign up a yearly plan. The cheapest is $3,600 for a maintenance plan. I just about fainted. I knew they had plans available but I guess now it's mandatory.

I told them I'd think about it but am now thinking I may just tell them to shove it. I don't use $3,600 worth of their services in a year. Between the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, we do have some good health care in the area and I'm sure I can find someone to prescribe thyroid meds.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

what exactly do they include in that?!?!

sounds kinda insane, esp given that they don't have a cure and given that so many of us are made so poor by this illness and I think they don't take insurance either

if there are other decent docs around who can provide the care you need, I'd definitely say to switch

3. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Start looking through the archived posts.

FFC=high prices and little success

Keep your money!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It sounds to me like they take advantage of people in our situation. Of all illnesses to require upfront money for a maintenance plan. As mentioned, there is no cure. They could just be, which they WILL be, giving you trial and error care and no real accountability since they've got you for a year. - or at least your money.

Find a good Dr. who is willing to partner up with you in your care. As far as thyroid meds, yeah, anyone can prescribe those. I've been fortunate enough to find Dr.'s who are not only knowledgable but also willing to work with me. I have a regular GP, then see a rheumatologist who has many Fibro patients - I see him every few months, (used to be twice a year) but I like him and he seems to have a better plan for me.

Since you've been going there for 4 years, you should have a good idea of what services they provide and if the care you're getting is exclusive to using them.

My two cents...I'd keep looking...$3600 is a lot of money for ??
  5. bakeman

bakeman New Member

it seems about 90% of their patients get sicker if they don't run out of money first. they promise big results but in most cases don't deliver.

6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

paver, is that the clinics that Titelbaum runs??
    if so PLEASE be creful, theres a lady on this forum, and she is on another one that went there
    and they Damaged her heart pretty bad!
    the thyroid meds gave her a heart attack! then they wouldnt do anything to help her. and from what i can gather from what i have read about them,they have people leaving by the handfuls.
    maybe thats why thier trying to get all that $$$$ up front! if your only getting thyroid meds from them, i say find a good gp or endo dr, and get the hell outta there!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2010]
  7. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I went to the Norwalk office for two years. The Original doctor left after the first year which should have been a sign for me. They helped me recover but wanted me to take way too many meds and supplements. I found an endocrinologist to prescribe synthroid for my thyroid and discontinued much of what they wanted me to take. I left when they doubled the price for an office visit. I wouldn't do the IVs they wanted and I purchased vitamins here not from them. Tietlebaum should get away from that organization.

8. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

I had a bad experience with them and actually got sicker. I would love to have the money i spent they ripped me off for thousands.
  9. aftermath

aftermath New Member

"Tietlebaum should get away from that organization."

He is a snake oil salesman who fits right in at the place.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The FFCs are notorious for doctor turnover.

A doctor or clinic selling their own vitamins or supplements is technically, a conflict of interest and are usually more expensive.

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  11. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I agree with the bad stuff that has been said about the F&FC.

I honestly think they take advantage of people who are as sick as we are, willing to try anything to make us feel better. I

I went to them for two years and spent more money that I care to think about. None of it by the way reimbursable through insurance, no matter what plan you have. The insurance doesn't even recognize the Dr.'s as Dr's. I also heard that they "plump" up the resume's of their Dr.'s so they sound more knowledgeable than they really are.

The University of Utah ran the one in Utah out on a rail. I guess by the time we patients made it up to the U alot of catchable things were pretty far gone, and the things that were a standard catch went missed.
    The F&FC are a lot about pushing their own line of supplements, which I found by the way didn't do diddly squat for me. I did one IV infusion set that did absoluelty NOTHING for me, but wast a lot of vertical time I didn't have to give, and their injections felt watered down. Mind you this is only my take on the company and a few things I have heard around town. The doctors there really are sympathetic I'm sure they are trained to be so, because in order for us to finally resort to them, we are so demoralized by the rest of the medical community not believing us that we go to them and it's "What??? you believe me??????" Yes, cluck, cluck, we believe you, cluck cluck, poor thing. cluck cluck."

Just my opinion of my experience with them.