Fibro and Fatigue clinics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annie1202, Jan 7, 2008.

1. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

Has anyone here ever been to one of the Fibro and Fatigue Centers? My mother found one in Cleveland - not far from where she lives - and is checking it out for me.

Does insurance cover it? Is it costly? Is it worth it?
    Do you think this is something I should pursue?

Something she was reading about it said that they could reverse food sensitivities and allergies. I think it was the Fibro and Fatigue center she was reading about.

I would be interested in any thoughts or info you could give.

[This Message was Edited on 01/08/2008]
  2. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

lots of posts on this topic. Just do a search for FFC in the top left drop-down menu.
  3. cruizon

cruizon New Member

I found two in my area but neither take any insurance so it is all up front cost. Needless to say I can't do that. Costs are enough with insurance
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I went to the one in Detroit last year for about 7 months. I spent $12,000 and was sicker when I left. They failed to diagnose my lyme disease and overdosed me on thyroid meds. I was a mess!!

My new dr takes insurance and is treating all my issues. I feel so much better now!

Some centers are better than others, but one thing is certain, you will spend lots of money there.
  5. thedan

thedan New Member

I went to the one in Bellevue, WA last week. I was impressed, and they did me some good. But it was only one session, so I can't give a good long term report.

Their testing seems to be exhaustive. The interview was thorough, and the IV I got for mental function has helped for the six days since I got it. They seem willing to work with my primary provider as well, as I am over three hours away and can't run in every week. The doctor was also very thorough in explaining things, and they have good written backup, so you don't have to remember everything.

FFC is expensive, and they don't take insureance. They say this is because the insurance companies put too many restrictions on the way they test and treat. Having worked as EMS Coordinator for a hospital district and in hospital engineering, and having dealt with doctors and insurance companies with fibro/cfs issues for the past eight years, I can easily believe this. You will get a detailed invoice for services rendered so you can bill your insurance. But they are up front in telling you that insureance typically only reimburses 50-70%.

I would recomend FFC, based on my limmited experience with them. However, it would be a good idea to check out the particular clinic and doctor you want to see, as several people here have indicated that some are better than others.
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

The testing is very helpful. I have yet to find similiar testing anywhere else.

Please be aware that some FFC doctors don't know how to intrepret Western Blot results for Lyme Disease. The do a two tiered testing process.

If Quest WB (only 30% accurate) shows anything then they'll do the Igenex WB (only 70%) accurate. They should skip the Quest and go straight to Igenex.

I'd also puchase supplements elsewhere for less money. Some of their supplements were Prohealth brands when I started there in March 2006.

The IVs are only a temporary and expensive treatment. Be wary of those. The effects don't last.
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Munch is right. I always felt great after getting those IV's. But the only relieve symptoms, they don't address the reason for the symptoms and correct it, so when you stop the IV's, the symptoms come back.

LISALOO New Member

been to both Cleveland and Detroit, worse.

Check out their annual survey, more people are worse, not better. They did nothing with my food sensitivies and allergies to reverse, just told me to avoid them. Barely talked about allergies.
  9. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

for your responses.

It really has helped.
    I can't afford to do that - can't pay anything up front.
    At this point, I can barely afford to eat.

I appreciate all of your input.

10. Katy47

Katy47 New Member

I can only speak well of my experience at Dallas FFC. Grace54 also likes her dallas FFC doc. It all depends on the doctor you get a hold of. Check your ins. first to see if they'll at least cover the labs, and if so go for it! That, and pain control if you like. The hormone testing is important, too, and the bioidentical hormones are the best available.

One thing, though, DON'T be fooled into spending money on their IVs or supplements. In my opinion that's not near as efective as addressing the infections and hormones.

You can do your own detoxing and supplements if you research it yourself.

11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Just wanted to say that Grace54 is a guy and lives in Michigan. He went to the Detroit FFC. Maybe there is another Grace who went to the Dallas FFC??

12. aftermath

aftermath New Member

While there are some exceptions, the common theme seems to be that people spend a LOT of money(like ten grand) in a short time period and don't end up feeling much better.

I think that you would be better off travelling to visit one of the top docs often discussed on this forum. You'll get better care and spend much less money.
  13. Katy47

Katy47 New Member

Thanks for straightening me out. It's Grace4U I was talking about.

14. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

My parents live close to Dr. Mark Pelligrino - I've seen articles from him on this website. What do you guys think about him?
  15. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

bumping for info on Mark Pelligrino.
  16. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

My experience was exactly the same as bakeman's. After the testing, do not give them anymore money... they suck you in and don't follow through after the first couple of appts.

It's a money making scam!
  17. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I agree with your opinion. They miss bacterial infections too. Totally missed my lyme disease, kept insisting I didn;'t have it. New doctor is treating me for lyme and feeling much better!!

They really do just hand out those hormones willy-nilly don't they? They messed up my sister with the throid she didn't need at all and overdoses me on my throid. I only needed half what they were giving me.

18. meowee

meowee New Member

I know I would not waste my money on them. I called them several years ago, after seeing an ad. I talked to a lady for nearly 2 hours about the place. They did not work with my insurance, and the more she told me the more I felt like it was a gimmick. I stuck with my regular program.

Good Luck
  19. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

I'm not going.

Thank you for your replies and information.
    I have a great doctor now who is compassionate and treating me well.
  20. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

Havent been on the board lately. Would love to know where to find the surveys about the FFC. THey missed some things with me, and I am trying to figure out what I should do next. Would also love to talk to you about your experience off-line. Also trying to reach mollystwin. My email address is