Fibro and Food

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by txplowgirl, May 23, 2011.

1. txplowgirl

txplowgirl New Member

Hi everyone, I thought I would post something that might help some fibro sufferers who are still having problems.
    I have had symptoms of fibro since I was 7 years old. I was finally diagnosed after all those years at the age of 44. I was put on so many precriptions it wasn't even funny. Several months later and still no relief I happened to get a periodical from the Fibromyalgia Network.
    In there I read that over 75% of fibro sufferers have a problem with gluten. Gluten is a protien found in Wheat, Rye and Barley.
    I laughed, it couldn't be that simple. If you don't believe me check out a site I found. Celiac.com and go to the forums. You will be shocked at what all kinds of foods do to you.
    My fibro has eased up a lot, it's not toatally gone but I have gone from a pain level of a 9 1/2 down to about a 3 sometimes 4. My fatigue has eased from a 9 down to a 5. But doing this I have had to cut out other foods as well. The nightshade vegetables cause pain and swelling in the muscles and joints. These are potatoes, tomatoes, all bell peppers, eggplant, okra.
    Gluten causes over 300 different types of symptoms. Insomnia, IBS type symptoms, Chrones types symptoms, depression, anxiety, asthma, hiatel hernias, gallbladder type symptoms, pain and tingling like nueropathy, diabetes, thyroid issues, fatigue, bloating, diareah and or constipation, and the list keeps going.
    Dairy, will also cause a lot of those symptoms, it does for me anyway as will soy.
    MSG will cause pain, Aspartame will cause pain and fatigue.
    How do I know all this? Over 2 years of of doing an elimination diet.
    I hope this helps some of you. I challange some of you to cut out potatoes for at least 3 weeks then reintroduce. You will be surprised. Have fun.
  2. HornPlayer

HornPlayer Member

Hi, Txplowgirl. I have not tried eleminating gluten from my diet, but after reading your post I will try cutting gluten from my life. I have found that eating anything with sodium nitrate as an additive has a profound effect on my pain. I just wanted to share this with you.