Fibro And Gulf War Syndrome pains similar?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

A new report that "accepts" Gulf War Syndrome is also saying that "widespread pain" is one of the symptoms of GWS. It sounds a lot like Fibromyalgia. Could there be a connection? Is it the chemical exposures? Brain damage?

I have posted before about this, when the Popular Science magazine reported on Iraq War Vets and their odd symptoms, including chronic pains and cognitive problems, and how the "concussive effects" of bomb blasts might have a lot to do with it, due to the effect on the brain from those blasts.

I am thinking it all adds up - to sensory processing disorders. This takes place in the brain, and a dysfunctioning pain system where the signals from the body are mis-interpreted by the damaged brain. The brain interprets normal signals as "alarms" and sends out pain or otherwise "protects" the body with cramping muscles, etc. Protecting the body is what pain is supposed to be all about. Sometimes things go wrong there, and I believe that the result is Fibromyalgia.

The damage to the brain can be chemical toxins, or direct damage from concussions. The Iraq War Vets, the Gulf War Syndrome victims, and Fibromyalgia are possibly connected in this way. The Mayo Clinic had an article that was summarised here at Immune Support by Dr. Pelligrino, titled "Sensory Processing Disorder", and it sheds a lot of light on this idea.

Here is the link to the new report on GWS:

Link to Iraq War bomb blasts article:[I cannot find the PopSci article, which is very similar but this one does not mention chronic pain, but it does mention things such as "light sensitivity" which is a sensory processing issue] -

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I think GWS could be the same disease as CFIDS/ME. I think the similarities are way too much to be coincidental. Either way, whatever treatments end up being used for GWS should hopefully benefit us.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Joint, muscle, and neuropathic pain are commony reported. As a result of the post mortem on Sophia Mirza in the UK an alternative explanation for her pain was identified.

tc, Tansy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All these illnesses have a lot of overlapping symptoms. I also believe GWI and CFIDS/ME are the same. I believe FMS travels with many other disorders and it is responsible for the pain. Not everyone with our illnesses suffers severe pain. FMS is often found with Lupus, MS, and Lyme. I believe if one has pain, there is likely FMS involved.

Love, Mikie