Fibro and High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nancylovescats, Jul 15, 2006.

1. nancylovescats

nancylovescats New Member

Was wondering if anyone suffers from hypertension and fibro and what meds you take. I am on a quest for getting healthy and able bodied so I can watch my granddaughters grow up.

Also my youngest sister was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago so the added stress of helping her out when I can will need to be addressed. My middle sister was diagnosed in 2000. And yes I will get some testing next month to see if I have any genetic markers for it.

Thanking everyone in advance for your help and suggestions.

Nancy
    =^..^=
  2. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

My BP was sky high and my doctor started me off on water pills but I hated taking medicines so I worked really hard on changing my diet and losing a few pounds and in a short time my BP is down in the normal range without pills.

I still have weight to lose and I think this is my problem. I also retain water ( boy do I!!) so I find a lower carb, high protein diet seems to work best for preventing this. ( not ultra low carb i couldn't stick with that without dizzy spells)

Everyone is different though. I recommend you take whatever your doctor prescribes for you until it is under control.

Good luck.

3. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

I have fibro and hypertension. For my BP, I take inderal, 60 mg per day, and tarka, which is a combination of 2 medicines, 2/180 mg per day. My blood pressure is very sensitive and is something I consistently struggle with. The doctors say that walking helps, and a low-sodium diet helps. Also, someone at my church told me that eating celery really helps. I don't like celery and haven't tried it, but it may work.

Of course, any stress, good or bad, can affect blood pressure. It's very important to monitor your BP and take your medicines regularly.
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have high BP too. I am currently on Lisinopril, but it is not as good as Atenolol which I took before. The Atenolol (a beta blocker) will take care of tachycardia (high pulse) also compared to the other one that only handles BP.

it is very individual what works for everyone, you simply have to try different meds to see which one works best.
  5. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I have had high blood pressure since I was 27 - I take Lisinpril & Lopresser(sp) - sorry I can't spell alot...
    It seems to help - another one of those things that can be heredity.

Janet
  6. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

I have had high BP since I was about 24. I started out on water pills for many years. I am now on Atenolol 50mg at night...seems to work.

How cute...=^..^= !

Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2006]
  7. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

First
    I am so sorry to hear about your sisters!!!That is enough to stress anyone out!!I hope everyting works out for them and they get better..
    I take Toprol XL every morning and it works great. I have HBP but its really high when I see the doctors. Everytime I go in its off the charts. When I take it at home its fine. Funny
    I also have a rapid heart best that beats about 135 per min. The toprol fixed it also.
    Try to relax, I know its hard with all the stress you are having in your life right now. We are thinking about you.

Melinda