Fibro and hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mstinaeve, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mstinaeve

mstinaeve New Member

I was just diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. Which just so happens to have many of the same symptoms as fibro. I believe i may have had this condition for a long while and just thought it was fibro.
    Are there others out there who have Hypo? How do you deal with it? i am going to see a dietician in 2 days but just curious as to others experience.

Symptoms are hunger nervousness and shakiness, perspiration, dizziness or light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking,, and feeling anxious or weak. if you have some of these you may be wise to ask your Dr. to do a Glucose Tolerance test on you.

Peace, tinaeve
  2. roge

roge Member

this is very common in FM and managing the HG is time consuming and a real pain. I would argue it is as hard as managing diabetes, but then on top of this we have all the other FM symptoms and things we have to do to manage those.

Other than eating many small meals like every 2 hours (grazing all day like a cow) and eating more protein, nothing has really helped, although the grazing and increased protein have helped around 50%.

growth hormone is low for many with FM and low growth hormone causes hypoglycemia

another theory for FM , is the muscles are constantly burning and using up glucose as they are contracted and tight always.

another is hormonal , adrenal fatigue because you need cortisol to maintain blood glucose. and could be something amiss with the hormone glucogen which needed to help regulate blood sugar.

another is, a delayed reaction in insulin release, thus allowing blood sugar to drop hard a few hours after a meal.

Of course there are many other causes of HG.

Frustrating to say the least

3. mstinaeve

mstinaeve New Member

Thank you, roge for the great insight to my questions.After I see the Dietician i will post any good info I get from her.
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

i have really bad reactive hypogylcemia and it is a pain in the ars
    i do better if eat meat throughout the day
    but crave chocolate and sugar a lot and havent been able to kick it for long
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I was dx with borderline diabetes about 2 years ago but when I started checking my blood sugar, sever hypoglycemia was discovered. I was in horrible condition at the time....

It took me awhile but I've learned to eat to help control it, but most of my diet now is fruits and I have to eat every 2 hours on the dot.

I have an apple for breakfast, a small piece of fruit at 9:00 am, a regular but small lunch at 11:00, more fruit at 1:00, 3:00 and then a small dinner at 5:00.

At 7:00 I have to stack carbs a bit because I can't wake up at night due to my Fibro and needing all the sleep I can get. I might have 2 tangerines, some chex mix and 3 pieces of chocolate before bed.

As a side note, I've lost 40 pounds since this all started....

As someone else mentioned, I was a carboholic before this started. My body craved carbs and I never thought I'd be able to change my diet and eat this way, but low blood sugar can rule your life and something has to be done to help control it.

6. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey i am confused, why is it good for u to eat all the sugar?
  7. roxesma

roxesma New Member

Dear simonedb,
    i went to see a dietician and she gave me so much info on this condition that i don't yet know where to begin! It is quite a complicated process in my eyes.But, I have figured out that with low blood sugar your levels drop below normal levels and you need a bit of sugar to bring it back up again. I will keep posting as I learn by trial and error on my journey to lose weight and try to get rid of some of these bad symptions. Tinaeve
  8. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

I too have reactive hypoglycemia. It got significantly worse before i was recenlty diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. I was having to eat all day hourly or so not to crash!

I saw a dietician in hospital last week who agreed that low GI diet is best for hypoglycemia. This means elminating all high gi, rapid acting carbs, simple sugars, white flour products etc.

You can do a google search for "low GI diet" or "low GI food list" etc and get heaps of info.

Eating 6 small low GI meals a day is reccommended for controlling hypoglycemia. I and others find that regular protein controls it best. carry chicken with you, or nuts etc. Fruit alone is not reccommended for hypoglycemia, but smaller portions of carb, protein and fat 6 times a day.

The ideal diet for hypoglycemia, would be all meat and veg in small meals throughout the day, or a handful of nuts as a meal etc. As a general rule, adding fat and protein to a carb, makes that carb digest alot slower, hence low GI.

On the other hand, look up Karen (Barrowinnovations) posts, she has excellent info on how she pretty much got rid of her hypoglycemia with a very low carb diet. I can't personally do this diet at the moment, but if one can, it can be excellent. This is because the body stops spiking insulin up and down in response to carbs, and eventually stays very even. Protein and fat do not spike blood sugar quickly like carbs do.

9. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I have fibro and was hypoglycemia from birth until 3 years ago (at the age of 32). I toke Lyrcia 4 years ago for a year. I didn't know why I wasn't hypoglycemia until last week, I read that Lyrcia can really mess you up. I VERY lucky that it messed me up in a good way, it could have made my hypoglycemia much worst.

Anyway, how did I deal with the hypoglycemia, I ate small snacks all the time, had hard candy or glucose tastes with me at all times. Hot bathes were a "no no". I even had a glucose meter and watched my numbers, I got to know at what number I needed to stay above to feed OK.

Forgot to say I was DXed with fibro about 11 years ago but know I had it long before than and even tho I'm really not hypoglycemic now I know I still have fibro.[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2008]
  10. simonedb

simonedb Member

how does a bath tie into hypoglycemia?
    i do incidentally usually feel worse after bath or shower, drained, ironically took one today, rarely do anymore cus get weakened but the start of winter is making me cold!
  11. mom2many

mom2many New Member

The hot bath thing seamed to be because my blood sugar was always low the heat (hot bath or really hot outside) would make me REALLY light headed and REALLY weak and sometimes even nausea and dizzy.
    I really can't say for sure why I guess, just guess it has something to do with the low blood sugar because now that that my blood sugar is fine the hot bath don't make me feel as bad as it did.
  12. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Hot weather, and especially hot baths & showers, have a vasodilating effect on blood vessels (makes them relax and open), which makes all your veins dilate (widen) causing \blood pressure to drop.

Cold water has a vasoconstricting effects, making veins 'tighter' and actually raises blood pressure. So if you have a very luke warm bath or shower, the effect will be no where near as bad. Try a shower as cold as you can handle it (without being very uncomfortable) and see how it effects you.
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Because my blood sugar drops as low as 29....that's why I need to sugars. I was walking around like this feeling horrible, didn't quite think it was just another thing to add to the Fibro basket.

For some reason, this happens all day, every day so this diet works for me.

14. tuba

tuba New Member

Dear Wolverine,
    Many thanks from this Buckeye for the information of Hypoglycemia & GI food lists. I have searched several web sites this evening for those lists and their GI point values. Then I went through my food pantry & cleaned it out! I have also made a grocery list with foods with low GI values. Your posts sound like you have a medical background. Thank you again for your advice. Oh, how I will miss my baked potatoes! Tuba
  15. simonedb

simonedb Member

thats interesting, I can't remember what mine drpped to when I did the glucose test but it wasnt good either. funny because my preferred way of coping is to get some dark chocolate and eat little pieces all day along with normal good food, but I figured thats wrong and I should go on some low glycemic index diet, my doc gave me a handout on the "mediterranean " dysglycemic diet but I havent been strict about it at all. But I do try to eat meat every day and my day goes better if I have meat starting it out.
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The thing about the chocolate is that it's high in sugar content so it will drop you like a rock after you eat it. That's what we're hoping to avoid.

It took me almost a year to figure out what was best for me and the natural low glycemic sugars in fruit work for me.

When I do have a meal either at lunch or dinner, it's always meat with veggies and some type of starch included. If it's a slice a pizza, it's full of veggies and meat. The crust takes care of the sugars, but it's balanced...

If it's a pasta dish, same thing....meat, loads of green peppers and tomatoes etc.

I also have to wait to eat in the mornings because of my thyroid medications so an apple is just what I need to get my blood sugars back up but again, they won't drop quickly because they're natural. It doesn't mean that I won't have eggs or an egg sandwich, but I'm not always up to cooking them. Oatmeal is another winter favorite with apple butter on top. (Cooked oatmeal, not processed, I've been sick with this disease for so long that I've all but eliminated all processed foods from my diet)

I do eat chocolate, but only as my bedtime snack at night. I have to stack some carbs so I don't wake up with my eyes rolling back into my head. That's my snack time now.

I think it's safe to say that I've eaten more fruits in the last 1 1/2 years than I have in my entire 47 years on earth, but this is what my body needs to function, and hey, they're really good too!

17. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

No probs, glad to be of help. Hah cleaned out the pantry, thats determination! Good on you, many would take months of procrastination.

Yes, well I do have a medical background, it's just a shame I'm always on the treating end of it! lol.

Just having gone through what I have, I've read tons of medical, nutritional and natural therapy books and other info. Hours a day for 8 years, trying to figure out my own body. Just pick up alot of things along the way, and its very interesting to me. I also became very good friends with my old integrative MD back up the coast where i used to live with my brother, so i spent a few years going to his place. He taught me alot about medicine and natural therapies, and I was teaching him how to use his PC and internet (hes a little indian man, is 85 and still practicing medicine 6 days a week).

Oh yes baked potatoes are wonderful ;) But try out baked sweet potatoes, just take them whole, wash, rub with some olive oil and sea salt, and bake in the oven like normal potatoes, leaving the skin on. They come out really nice, and sweet potatoes have a decently lower GI level than normal ones. If you do have a normal potato now and then, make sure theres plenty of fat (olive oil or butter) with it, and meat with the meal. They say ice cream is a low GI food even with it's high sugar content, because the fat in the cream makes the sugar digest much slower. Any high GI food can be lowered by adding fat. Best to just make meals balanced though.

Let us know how you go. ~Chris.