Fibro and Inflammation... I am confused. Again!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jan 12, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Fibromyalgia is not supposed to be an inflammatory illness. Ok, I've got that.

Then why do so many of us have inflammation as a daily part of our symptoms?

I know I do. I cannot take any NSAIDs like ibuprofen, although I was desperate yesterday and took one Aleve. It didn't wreck my stomach, so I got away with it. It did help me feel better, so I know inflammation has been the problem the past few days.

Makes me wonder if I've been misdiagnosed?

I have osteoarthritis as well, and tendinitis in my hands and wrists. I've been tested repeatedly for RA, with negative results.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I know on the days I risk Ibuprofen, I feel so much better apart from my stomach flaring up. I cannot explain this, as Aspirin never gives me the relief. I took IBPF for a while to stop the flares of Hashimotos, so I wonder if we feel better when we calm the thyroid down(as IBPF will reduce swelling of thyroiditis) IS this the inflamation link?

Crom
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I have FMS and what my rheumy terms inflammatory arthritis...OA?

I begin my day with some abdominal swelling and mild to severe low back pain (SI joint OA), along with Ulcerative Colitis, my day goes on and my swelling goes with it...

I swell around my middle (visible and measurable) and my right hip where they took bone out for a bone plug in my neck...SORE and SWOLLEN!!!The rest of my body looks like it is slightly "fluffed up"...I liken it to bloating during period time...But we all know what INFLAMMATION feels like and it sucks!

I can't even take aspirin, I bleed...

I am now on prednisone for Crohn's which is not alleviating the symptoms or the swelling...Something's wrong!

Can't wait to see other posts for input...This part of it drives me crazy...I would love a day without feeling like porky pig at nite...~Alicia
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Fibro is classified with arthritis, which is generally an inflammatory problem. I sure wish they'd make up their minds and figure this out!

Now I need to find an anti-inflammatory I can tolerate. Maybe the cherry juice treatment. Sounds tasty, anyway.

Cromwell, IBPF is ibuprofen? or something else?

So, any more thoughts on this?

thanks,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2006]
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Then it really should be classified as neurological and not reumatological.. Silly, huh?
  6. when I was diagnosed years ago, my internal dr. said the joint pain was coming from inflammation somewhere in my body. But also I have read it doesn't have inflammation? So why do our joints hurt then?
  7. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

My personal hunch is that a lot of us have both inflammatory and non-inflammatory conditions. After all, no one actually knows for sure what is causing these dds.... could be that there is one underlying cause for all this, or perhaps just more than one condition existing together.

I know that when I first sought relief for my myofascial pain and nerve symptoms in my hands/arms/etc about 15 years ago, I was put on high doses of NSAIDs -- they didn't touch the pain, and made me feel a great deal worse. I was also told it was all in my head.

Later, I discovered that Vicodin works on the pain -- so I believe that my muscle pain is non-inflammatory.

However -- I also get tendonitis in my elbows, and that does respond to ibuprofen.... therefore likely it is inflammation. Yeah, this is a confusing mess.