fibro and multiple sclerosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by murillomod, Oct 10, 2002.

1. murillomod

murillomod New Member

Thanks for responding to my message! I am so confused because one day I had a healthy husband and tha next day he was having chest pain , all test came out fine , then he started having pain that has travelled all over his body now for 10 months, he has all fm and cfs symptons. Now they think he might have ms. Can anyone tell me how you can tell them all apart because they have some similar symptons, he has been on short term disability since Dec. I really want to figure all this out, as of this date he still has not been dx ,waiting to the the rheumey in Nov. again thanks
  2. murillomod

murillomod New Member

Thanks for responding to my message! I am so confused because one day I had a healthy husband and tha next day he was having chest pain , all test came out fine , then he started having pain that has travelled all over his body now for 10 months, he has all fm and cfs symptons. Now they think he might have ms. Can anyone tell me how you can tell them all apart because they have some similar symptons, he has been on short term disability since Dec. I really want to figure all this out, as of this date he still has not been dx ,waiting to the the rheumey in Nov. again thanks
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

many of us have the same systoms as ms and are tested and retested for it you can have both, go to www.imssf.org its a ms site and you can read more about it also you can do a serach here at this site.hope that helps alittle
    kara
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2002]
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I was diagnosed with MS in 1978 but only learned I have fibromyalgia about a month ago. I'm still trying to figure out which symptoms are which, too. Some, but not all, seem very similar. Why do the doctors think your husband might have MS? Has he had an MRI? Has he had neurological impairment in several different areas of his body at different times, with partial or complete improvement in between attacks? (I know the attack/remission pattern sound similar to fibromyalgia, but I'm not sure it operates in the same way. Since I'm still new to fibro, I'm still on a learning curve.)

There are other MS tests that can be done besides an MRI, but the MRI has become the standard. In some cases, though, lesions may not show up on an MRI--at least on a brain MRI--but the person still may have MS. Sometimes the lesions are in the spine, and spine MRIs are more expensive and apparently harder to read or less reliable than brain MRIs. (I've had four brain MRI, but I never had a spinal MRI.)

(edited to removed email address per rules)

--Laura

5. granmama

granmama New Member

I have posted this subject before, but did not get very much interest. My son is 24 and has seen a neurologist and the doc thinks it is probably MS, but none of his spinal MRIs or spinal tap have shown any lesions or positive evidence for a confirmed dx. Nerve conduction tests came in abnormal.
    I attended a MS seminar recently and the guest speaker asked how many there had been told they may have MS, but have not had conclusive tests results. A good portion of the people attending, raised their hands. Then, she asked how many had been dx in the past 2 years, even more hands were raised.
    My son's first knowledge that something was wrong was his vision, then his legs. He does have flares that range from minor to major. When major, they treat him with steriods. Some days, his legs won't even support him and heat is an enemy to him as well. His hands shake too.
    I too wondered if initially it was FM because I have it and my daughter(29) was recently dx with it too. The subject of Fibromyalgia was brought up a few times, as EBV and Lyme because of similar symptoms of MS.
    He is trying to get into a MS clinic in Dallas, but the waiting list is a year long. They are sending him to another neurologist for a second opinion.

I am curious, what tests were used to base the idea that your husband might have MS?

Take care,
    granmama

6. murillomod

murillomod New Member

Thank you for responses, but my husband still has his appt. for an MRI, they think he can MS, because his arms and legs give out at times. He says that all of a sudden his arms and legs just get very weak, and another thing that he feels tingling in his fingers. Does any one know can you feel these symptons with FMS?
  7. Carolonly

Carolonly New Member

Yes I get the tingling severly in my fingers and toes they say it goes along with the fibro. Hope this helps in some way!!
  8. granmama

granmama New Member

I just remembered, when we were at the MS conference everyone was given information and a book-cd of David L. Lander called "Fall Down Laughing".
    Remember Squiggy in Laverne & Shirley show? Well, he has had MS for the past 15 years. Many of the symptoms he mentioned mock some of my son's. I don't remember him talking about tingling, but he said his legs would just give out from under him and he would fall many times.

How my son describes his legs are like walking with cement shoes and his left arm hurts, plus the hands shake.

I hope your husband does not have MS, but it wouldn't hurt to bone up on some info prior to the MRI. I pray each day my son will not get worse. He has been tested for other diseases, Lyme, etc. All these were negative.

My son told me his neurologist said that if a gun were put to his head, he would say he has MS. But, without MRI evidence,lesions, he could not give a definite diagnosis.

MS is a very misdiagnosed disease. Someone my son knew was initially dx with MS. Another doctor changed the dx to Fibromyalgia and a thyroid problem. The person is back functioning and working again.
    So, you never know. My son could have something else too?

Keep us informed and take care,
    granmama

[This Message was Edited on 10/13/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2002]
  9. greenthumb

greenthumb New Member

I was wondering if anyone on this site had MS and FM, and was interested to read these posts. I have had symptoms for 32 years (I am 47) and even though I was ruled out for MS 5 years ago, I recently was told by a neurologist that she strongly believes I DO have MS despite the earlier dx.
    I went on the http://www.multi-sclerosis.org/mssymptoms.html site and was shocked to see that I have 23 of the symptoms listed. I was dx'd with FM 10 years ago and it never occurred to me to question it.
    If it turns out I have MS, or both MS & FM, the only regret I'll have for not being a better advocate for myself is that I wasn't getting interferon treatment sooner. But we'll see.
    Have a happy day, ya'll.