FIBRO AND MY DR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Mar 13, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

My Dr has me taking 30 mgs of Percocet a day for fibro , i also have degenerative disc disorder, arthritis, and a few bulging discs in my back , so i am always in a moderate amount of chronic pain. I went to the Dr last week, he said he wants to wean me off the Percocet because being my pain seems to be getting worse he thinks i am going through withdrawl pain. I have no idea. When i was diagnosed with Fibro by a rheumatologist he said if i was started on Opioid's for pain nothing would work for pain but an Opioid. I had tried Lyrica and it did nothing for my pain. I also tried some other antidepressant. Does anyone have any idea what is good for Fibro and the other issues i have that cause my pain? For some reason Doctors around here are all scared to give anything Opioid's. I have no reason why, I have all kinds of MRI reports and other tests saying whats wrong. Its not like i made it up. The pain management clinic here just gives shots. I am not crazy about getting shots and i never heard of shots for Fibro. My Dr said he wants to put me on another medication while he is weaning me off the Percocet. So far everything i have tried for pain doesnt work but the percocet and i am allergic to vicodin and most codeine based stuff. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am really confused about what kind of pain medication i should be using and I am not depressed so i don't see how an antidepressant can help the pain. Thanks, all i want is the pain gone i do not care if its an Opioid or whatever as long as the pain is gone, i am open to suggestions i can tell my dr about because i am clueless.
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Hello! I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndromes. After trying different meds, anti-depressants, anti-seizure meds for pain with no relief, I found relief with opioids, and was on them for two years. At first, they relieved my pain, but as time went on, as it happens with opioids, the relief lasted a shorter and shorter amount of time. And when they wore off, and it would be two hours until my next dose, I would be in even greater pain than before I ever got on opioids.

I got so ill on all the meds I was on; I was allergic to Lyrica, but when I stopped taking it cold-turkey, I had severe withdrawals. I thought I was going to die - the withdrawals were severe, like you read about for hard drugs. I was able to go to Uchee Pines Health Institute in Seale, AL at that time. By that time, meds were affecting me in such a bad way, I wanted off all meds, including Opioids.

At Uchee Pines, they used a healthy diet, sunshine, plenty of water, fresh air, temperance, rest, and trust in God/prayer, and hydrotherapy to help with the withdrawals and the severe, excruciating pain that comes with it. That was a year ago. I learned things at Uchee Pines to treat pain, illnesses, etc., with natural and home remedies.

My pain used to be so excruciating at times, and still gets quite severe, but now instead of meds, I use hydrotherapy and the other things they used at Uchee Pines, coupled with prayer. I know it sounds simple, but it has really helped me to be able to cope with the horrible pain of FMS/CFIDS, and to find relief.

About the time I was in Uchee Pines, my Mom called and was telling me that she heard/read that pain meds actually cause the body to be in more pain when they wear off than before taking the pain med; something about that when a person is on pain meds, the body doesn't make as much of it's own natural pain relievers... I don't have the reference to that info, but in my case, I believe that is what was happening.

If I had learned about the pain meds actually causing more pain before I learned about natural remedies, I would have felt helpless and hopeless, and there was no way I could face that kind of pain. But with the natural remedies, I find enough relief to keep on living.

I'm so sorry about your back pain; that is something I don't have, besides the usual fibro pain and an occasional back trouble... I learned at UP that increased circulation to the injured area brings in more healing and repairing to that area. Hydrotherapy is just the thing to increase circulation, and it often brings with it significant relief. They taught us how to apply a moist heating compress (they called it a fomentation) to the area of pain for three to four minutes, remove it and put a compress soaked in ice water for 30 seconds, then back to the heating compress for three to four minutes, then the cold, and keep alternating for five to seven rotations. It's not a quick-fix, but over time it may help heal the injury, and it should give relief right away.

I hope you don't take offense at what I've written; if anyone had told me, when I was in the height of my pain, that pain meds aren't the best treatment, especially when I had tried everything else, I would have taken it as them saying they want me to be in pain then, because the only relief I found was in opioids. I don't want to be a know-it-all, or pushy, or insensitive; I want to share what has helped me, in the hopes that maybe someone else can avoid making the same mistakes I did, and in the hopes that maybe something that helped me will help them, too.

I will be praying for you, Nyer; much love and gentle hugs to you,

Debbie
  3. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

DEBBIE THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT I REALLY APPRECIATE, SO MY DR WAS RITE ABOUT PAIN MEDS CAUSING MORE PAIN, I FIND AFTER I TAKE MY PERC IT ONLY LASTS ABOUT 4 HOURS FOR THE PAIN INSTEAD OF 6. BUT HAVE YOU HEARD THAT IF FIRST PUT ON NARCOTICS FOR PAIN, NO OTHER KIND OF PAIN MED WOULD WORK? AND NOW THE NARCOTIC ISN'T WORKING WELL. SO INSTEAD OF TAKING TEN MGS AT A TIME I TAKE TEN IN THE MORNING WITH A SOMA WHICH RELAXES MY MUSCLES THEN I TAKE 5 MGS OF PERC EVERY 3 HOURS UNTL I REACH THE FULL 30 MGS.
  4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have two bulging discs, fibro, and some other problems left over from an auto collision in 97. I have tried every pain med known to man. I am currently on flexiril for the pain. Vicodin and percocet don't do anything for me and I'm allergic to codine and lyrica. I have been taking it for about 2 months now and it is helping. I have also changed my diet to all organic, gluten free, non-processed food, which has made the biggest impact on my health. I have also forced myself to walk a mile-ish at least 4 days a week, which is helping. Finding a medication, pain and antidepressants, that works is like playing roulette, you might have to try a bunch until you get the one that works. Then you have to start the process all over again if your body builds up a tolerance. I wish you luck in finding what works for you.
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I haven't ever heard that if a person first takes narcotics, then no other kind of pain med would work... Everyone reacts differently to meds... My rheumy once told me that narcotics don't help with FM pain, but they did, at first, for me! I don't think anyone can say how another person is going to react to a med...

Praying for you, Nyer! Have a great Sunday!

Debbie
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Antidepressants are a mainstay in the treatment of many chronic pain conditions — even when depression isn't a factor.

By Mayo Clinic

Some of the more effective and commonly used medications for chronic pain are drugs that were developed to control other conditions. Antidepressants are a mainstay in the treatment of many chronic pain conditions — even when depression isn't a factor.
    Tricyclics used most often

Tricyclic antidepressants are the most common type used for pain. They include:

* Amitriptyline
    * Imipramine (Tofranil)
    * Clomipramine (Anafranil)
    * Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
    * Desipramine (Norpramin)
    * Doxepin (Sinequan)

Types of pain relieved

Tricyclic antidepressants seem to work best for pain caused by:

* Nerve damage from diabetes (diabetic neuropathy)
    * Nerve damage from shingles (postherpetic neuralgia)
    * Tension headache
    * Migraine
    * Fibromyalgia
    * Low back pain

The painkilling mechanism of these drugs is still not fully understood. Tricyclic antidepressants may increase neurotransmitters in the spinal cord that reduce pain signals. But they don't work immediately. You may have to take a tricyclic antidepressant for several weeks before it starts reducing your pain.

Side effects usually mild

Side effects of tricyclic antidepressants may include:

* Drowsiness
    * Dry mouth
    * Constipation
    * Weight gain
    * Difficulty with urination
    * Changes in blood pressure

To reduce or prevent side effects, your doctor will likely start you at a low dose and slowly increase the amount. Most people are able to take tricyclic antidepressants, particularly in low doses, with only mild side effects. The doses that are effective for pain are typically lower than the doses used for depression.

Other antidepressants that may help

Drugs such as venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) can relieve many of the same types of painful conditions that are eased by tricyclic antidepressants. Known as serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), these drugs don't work quite as well as tricyclic antidepressants, but they also don't produce as many side effects.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as paroxetine (Paxil) and fluoxetine (Prozac) don't appear to help relieve pain on their own. However, fluoxetine appears to boost the painkilling effects of some tricyclic antidepressants.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've never heard that once you've taken narcotics nothing else will work either. We actually tried Savella for me to see if it would help so I wouldn't need my pain meds (or as much) - unfortunately I couldn't make it through the side effects.

You also have to remember that with Fibro our pain receptors are different. We're just not the same in how we react to pain medications etc. That's why even with pain meds, our pain may never really go completely away.

Shots for Fibro won't work unless a specific area is needing relief. All over pain isn't helped by shots. You may have trigger point injections, but I'm not sure how they work for people. I think some people here have had them. I know that injections aren't an option for me because of my widespread pain.

Are your other "issues" causing you pain ie. your bulging discs etc. What is your Dr. doing to treat that? Is that maybe where or why he wants to do some injections?
    I'm sure your degenerative discs, bulging discs and arthritis certainly are not helping your pain at all! Do you take anything for that? anti-inflammatories?

Would your Dr. consider Tramadol? That seems to be effective for many people w/Fibro and my Mom took it as needed for severe spinal stenosis. She was actually hospitalized for Pain.
    She was also prescribed narcotics looking at a life of chronic pain. I mean CHRONIC unbelievable, can't move kind of pain. The Dr. explained that "we don't worry about habituation, we worry about quality of life". Oh so nice to have a Dr. who is concerned about PAIN!!!

Regarding anti-depressants. I agree that they aren't all prescribed for depression. Cymbalta is an anti-depressant w/pain relieving qualities. A woman here w/Fibro takes amitriptyline (sp?) and it has helped her tremendously. Some help w/sleep as well.

BUT...we're all different. You are going to have to go through trial and error.

I'd mention Tramadol. See if he'll let you give that a shot, and if you're open to an anti-depressant, discuss which ones are best for Fibro (NOT depression)

Janalynn

[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2010]