Fibro and overheating?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tut90, Jan 1, 2009.

1. tut90

tut90 Member

I have episodes of overheating, I could be just sitting down not doing anything, and all of a sudden I start to get really hot and start having cold sweats. This happens to me several times during the day. It's not menopause. Does anyone else with fibro experience this?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi tut I can certainly relate to this one. It drives me nuts!

Same as you its for no reason. I never know when it will hit. Just get hot all most like fever and start sweating.

Have read other posts on this something to do with your bodies not regulating temperture. also toxins leaving our bodies. sorry bad brain fog going on so Im not clear.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Tut,
    even though it's not menopause, you could still have a hormone imbalance that will make you feel that way!!! i was tested for all my hormones before i had a hysterectomy and found i was severly low in some, the compounding pharmacist that i get my dhea & cortisol from wasent surprised, he said most of his clients that have fibro are usually severly deficient in hormones. might want to check it out, you never know. good luck, & feel better.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have this and I have for a long time. I was checked for hormonal imbalances and they are fine. Although I do find that my pain meds can cause these hot flashes for me sometimes and since I am on 24 hour pain meds I would guess that this is sometimes the culprit. It definitely isn't for every episode but I do know that some are med related. I have no idea what causes the other episodes but I just make sure I always have a way to cool myself if I need a mini-fan, or neck coolers in the fridge, a cold or frozen face cloth, AC in the car, and open window a fan and AC all year round in my bedroom and so on.
  5. tut90

tut90 Member

I'm suspecting that the cause of my hot episodes has something to do with the pain medications I've been taking. I'm going to check all the side effects.

Thank you for everyones reply.

6. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Doing it right now, as a matter of fact. Right at my desk at work.

Love and hugs,

7. emmally

emmally New Member

I start to sweat and get very hot at very unpredictable times. I would have the air condition of full blast in my car driving home from work when it was 30 degrees out. I noticed it mostly when I would be doing something very simple that might of elevated my heart a bit. It has gotten better since I started treatment for my heart but it still happens.
  8. justlooking

justlooking New Member

It could be a hypoglycemic episode. I was having the same thing happen to me but I would also get dizzy, shaky and heart palpitations. I thought I was going into perimenopause or something but my hormone tests were all fine. I finally found out I had been having low sugar (hypoglycemic) episodes. It was found through routine blood tests. The episodes were really scary but have stopped since I began to monitor my eating times more closely. I don't allow myself to get overly hungry and eat a small snack when I wake up, during the day(between meals if they are over a ong period of time) and before bed.
    I am one of those people who "forget" to eat because I don't get hungry very often. I have to make myself eat now to avoid the episodes. Now I only get them after taking a hot bath or shower or physical activity where my body temperature is increased. However I believe the heat related episodes are due to something else but not sure what.
  9. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Yes, I have had this too; in October I was at Ohare airport with my aunt... I started sweating so bad she went to the gift shop and bought me a battery operated fan! Here I am surrounded by people in jackets and scarves, and I am so hot and sweating as if it were 100 degrees. I have hypoglycemia, so I sometimes get it with that, but I think it was also because I was on T3 thyroid hormones. When I switched back to Armour, I stopped having "hot flashes". You might want to look at side effects of any medication you are taking, as that could be the cause. Sorry you have to go through that, it's really an awful feeling!
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

often in the evening lying in bed - I'm in bed a lot - and I get so hot I have to take covers off - this is the time when my husband finds it coldest - I can be cold all day long but at that time I get hot - it is NOT hot flashes.

You're not alone.

11. tut90

tut90 Member

that gets this, it usually starts with heat coming from my back, around my spine, then I start getting the cold sweats.

Thank you all for the replies.

12. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

I've had this too. I was diagnosed with CFS 10 yrs ago and recently diagnosed with Fibro. I have had this with the CFS. I would be really cold and then get really hot. I would have to put layers of clothes on and bundle up, then about 30 minutes later sweating and have to take it all off. I just accepted as part of this thing and went on.
  13. princessguenevere

princessguenevere New Member

I am sorry that you experience this, but I am so glad someone else experiences this too. I am 33yrs old and not in menopause either. About 1 yr after being "officially" diagnosed with the FM/CFS, I realized I was having alot of trouble controlling my temp. I overheat very easily and get cold easily too. I have a hard time staying neutral. Even when I am hot everywhere else, I still feel like I am sweating ice and have feet that are so cold I can almost not feel them. This drives my husband crazy! hehehe. I have to have a fan and a heat source (summer or winter) to try and keep my temp neutral. He really likes it when it is dead of winter and I have a heating blanket on my legs and a fan on my face..... lol! So, now we have dual climate control in our car, heating blankets, etc.
  14. bluetrish

bluetrish New Member

Here I've been thinking I've been in menopause about 10 years but that never accounted for the fast switch from burning up to being ice cold minutes later. I'm kinda sorry it isn't menopause because I was looking forward to the end of this. I guess with fibro I just have to accept it may not end. Thanks for posting about this.
  15. DocDebbee

DocDebbee New Member

Well, I AM menopausal and ON hormones AND Clonidine (which can help with sweats and even mood swings), but I still get sudden sweats with no antecedent precipitator that I can identify. The ONLY thing I can possibly find is similar is I often feel I am hungry and feel weak. We keep the house very cool in the winter (65-66 degrees) and the bedroom may be as cool as 61. If it is any warmer, I'd never get to use a blanket. You can't imagine what I'm like when I visit my kids in Florida! I started these symptoms to some degree about 6 years before I had any signs of menopause and 8 years before fibro.

16. karstock

karstock New Member

I have FM (fibromyalgia) and I am also on Cymbalta, I have the same issues with sweating, I mean I am soaked, mostly on my head and neck. I have been doing some research and I found that alot of people taking Cymbalta for FM have this issue with sweating. I have been tested for Thyroid, etc. and it all came back negative. This has been going on for a long time and it's really, really disruptive and embarrasing, especially in public. I think I am finally going to go off the Cymbalta and try Lyrica. Hope that was helpful.

17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have had "hotflashes" or being uncomfortably hot since the age of 16. Part of it may have been that I did not know I was hyperthyroid. When this was fixed, I still got the hot flashes and generally not being able to stand heat. My mother was the same way, so maybe part of it is inherited. In the winter I keep my thermostat around sixty degrees and have to remember to turn it up when someone visits.

Unfortunately ADs do make it harder to regulate your temperature and most people deal with the feeling of being hot.

Something I have noticed and wonder if anyone else gets this is that when the air conditioning goes on or exposed to the cold, it makes me even hotter. I think my body is trying to warm up and it passes the point of being comfortable. However, this will disappate, so I usually keep my coat off, etc. as the feeling of being extremely hot does not last as long this way.

This just popped in my mind. If someone is having a heat attack, do not give them cold water but water at room temperature. This is because when the body registers the cold water it tries to heat up even more. I think this is what happens to me when exposed to the cold.

Hope this makes sense as I am seriously winding down.